|~Hunting partners - Todd and Eva~|
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Thursday, March 9, 2017
Thank-you!! You were all so kind and supportive in your comments on my last post about keeping or not keeping Jake. I held onto the doubt and I agonized over what to do for a couple of more days. Then someone said to me that "doubt doesn’t always mean don’t." With that, I knew what you'd all said was right, that Jake belongs with us. And with us Jake will stay.
The couple could not have been more gracious and understanding. Below is part of their e-mail.
Hi Kim!In the coming days, we will pay Jake's adoption fee and make it official.
Your devotion to Jake is very apparent, so we completely trust and understand any decision you make......... Our biggest concern was the impact on Jake of separating him from you. We've been concerned about that since learning that he's been with you for over a year. Those concerns were elevated after seeing first hand his devotion to you. When he raced back to you when we were on our walk with him and Honey, our hearts broke at the thought of him not spending the rest of his time (time you have given him) with you. We talked about that a lot. In the end, we decided that what was best for Jake was a decision we needed to leave in your hands. If Jake is staying with you, we are absolutely thrilled!
Thank-you all again for helping me to sort this out,
You all are truly the best!
Monday, March 6, 2017
I was just barely home on Monday when I got a call from the SPCA about our foster-kitty Mo that left us about 3 weeks ago. He and the cat that he was partnered with were not getting along with the dogs in their new home, and the family wanted to return them both. I was asked if we would take Mo back. Of course I agreed, and I picked him up on Tuesday evening. I opened the crate, and with no hesitation at all, and a quick sniff from the dogs, Mo was home. This is the second time a family hasn't worked for Mo, so I'm wondering if fate is trying to tell us that he belongs here with us.
And speaking of fate.... Before I left on my trip I'd been discussing Jake with the rescue. He's been available for adoption on the website for about a year. At about 13 years old, I felt that he should be taken off the "available-dog-list" and stay with us. The rescue was unwilling to let Jake remain a "foster dog." I talked to Carl about it, and let the rescue know that we would go ahead and adopt Jake. I know what you're thinking..... Given how much Jake means to us, we should have decided to do that long before now. I'm regretting not doing that. Because literally, out of nowhere a couple applied to adopt Jake. To say that I was stunned is an understatement.
I'd hoped when I was in Tennessee that maybe I'd feel better about the situation, and perhaps letting go of Jake. And I'd hoped meeting them yesterday would give me that moment of clarity and I would know what to do. However it didn't. They are a nice couple and certainly more than able to give Jake a good home. But just where he will spend the rest of his life, and who will write the final chapter of his life, right now, is a really tough mystery to solve.