Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: dogs make everything better. They are like moms who can kiss any boo-boo and make the pain go away. When I was a kid, one of my favorite books (that I still have) was one by Judith Viorst entitled Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. It’s about a little boy who experiences a day where everything goes wrong. He wakes up with gum in his hair, he goes shopping with his family for shoes and gets stuck with plain white ones, instead of ones with red or blue stripes, his lunch bag is missing dessert, there are lima beans for dinner and he witnesses kissing on television--He resolves several times to move to Australia...Today I thought the same thing--It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day for me. I won’t go into all the details, but it began with our lights going out late last evening during a storm. Those of you who live in the country know that when this happens it's total darkness and you cannot see your hand in front of your face. I'll admit that I do find it a bit unsettling. However Tanner (pictured here) for some reason has developed what seems to be a fear of the dark. I don't know if it has to do with his being blind in his right eye and limited vision in the other, but he paces and pants and won't settle down in the darkness. We lit candles and a couple of lanterns in hopes it would help to calm him. I was also afraid that I might oversleep so I kept waking up and checking the time. The power was restored around 4 AM. And despite a restless night and a headache from it all, the day started off okay. But then it took a turn…

On my way to work I realized I’d forgotten my breakfast and lunch—Then I remembered something else I’d forgotten. We used to have set days when our dog-walker Lydia would come to let the dogs out. However, with Carl’s new work schedule, we now just call her several days ahead and are added to her schedule as needed. But I remembered that I’d forgotten to call her about coming today. Of course I called Lydia and couldn’t reach her so I left a message. I also called the business owner Christy and asked her if we could be added to the schedule—Again, I had to leave a message, and once more asked for a return call.

When I got to the office the air-conditioning in our office wasn’t working, and neither was our internet connection so there would be no blog reading or checking e-mails. Add to that a couple of grouchy patients, and the request from a co-worker asking if I could work for her on my day off. To summarize, my work day was miserable and I because I’d not heard from my dog-walker, I dreaded what destruction I would find when I came home. Would there be an “accident” or two in the house? Would Rudi have found something to get into? Would Carl have remembered to close the door of the spare-bedroom, pick up the soft-toys and make sure the cat was inside?


I couldn’t get home fast enough this evening. When I got home there was barking on the other side of the door, but I didn’t hear them all—so imagine my pleasant surprise when I opened the door and I was greeted with wagging tails and smiling faces. There was no destruction, there were no “presents” on the floor, the cat was inside, and Lydia the dog-walker had come. Once outside for the evening walk and romp, the dogs were very attentive and kept coming to me for pats and attention. I don’t know if they knew I’d had a bad day, but it doesn’t matter, they really did make everything better.









37 comments:

  1. I was just soooooo feeling horribly about your horrid situation and ... and... then. Goldens to the rescue. Yes.. somehow they are able to rescue us when we are feeling that we're miles away, unable to do for them in dire circumstances, and wow.. they come through! What a great post!!! So sorry, however, about all the worries and blackouts you went through.
    Huge Hugs xoxoxo
    Sammie and Av

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those faces look like pups hiding sekhrets ;-)

    I'm just glad they had the mess khleaned up prior to woo getting home!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra
    PeeEssWoo: Here's to a better Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lordy Kim, I am exhausted just reading all that!!! You poor thing I am surprised you had enough energy left over to blog tonight! You are one brave woman and I am proud to know you, :)
    Hi to the sweet cat and all the puppies who were good today!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it wasn't a good day, if we didn't have bad days though, we wouldn't know how to recognize a good one. :-) Glad that it ended well! Those are some happy smiling faces! Where would we be without them? Probably pretty crabby, our kids make our days, with their kisses and wagging tails and "I'm so happy you are home" greetings. Makes you feel really special!
    Have a good night, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And THAT greeting my friend, is what makes it all worth your while ;)
    I too have endured days like this, several infact, but coming home to wagging tails and licking tongues makes all right with the world once again.
    Hope your tomorrow is much better !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, normally I would so agree with you on the happy dog welcome, but since taking in this puppy, I come home to a very happy puppy, a grumpy older one, and some kind of destruction!! It's hard to be mad at her, after all, she is just being a pup, but MAN, some days...

    I hope your day got better once you got home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My opinion? I honestly believe our pets sense when we have had a bad day and go out of their way to make everything alright....

    I am glad your day turned out better than it started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwww! It may have started out badly but I'm glad that your dogs made it a happy ending for you. There is just nothing like that unconditional love to lift one's heart and spirits!

    Oh, to be loved...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim
    I know that terrible feeling when everything starts to just tumble down hill. Since we live far out in the country - we know exactly what you mean by watching the clock all night to make sure you don't over sleep.
    Your Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, was finally over and like you said. "the dogs are like moms who can kiss the boo boos away and make everything okay.
    You write so beautifully and just your words will make us sleep good tonight too- just thinking about the love we receive from each other in bloggy land.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your posts!!! We live in the country & frequently have power cuts too! so glad everything turned out OK. Dogs do know, Stitch knows when I'm stressed out & acts accordingly......wish everyone else would!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree - there's nothing like a dog (or 6) greeting you at the door to make a bad day lift from your shoulders like magic. I'm so glad yours were there to do that for you! Here's to a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes it is very hard for the miserables to stick around when confronted with those happy smiling faces. Sure hope you have a better day tomorrow. Tanner could use one of those miner type caps with the light. Then which ever way he turns his head he will be able to see... well, see light anyway. Poor Tanner. I think I could use one of those caps too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phew ! I thought we were heading for an awful ending ! Glad the day finished well

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry Kim...what a day!Yes,just having their smiling faces,waggy tails and licks and woofs to greet you makes up for all the troubles.

    Bellaboo :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah....whew! Sometimes we furries know how to guide our hoomans out of the horrible, terrible, no good days...and give them that reassurance that the day is over, we're all ok, you're ok...tomorrow is a new day :)

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad things turned out okay for you........

    You should look into getting your winter wood now, as it must be cheaper also with you this time of year as well.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. a crappy day indeed! like my hubby says...if you don't have bad days you won't appreciate the good ones....
    i guess i forgot that you are familiar with wisconsin...tell me again...
    dogs definitely have the ability to make all things better!! how are the two new boys doing?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Animals do make it all right. And, dogs seem to have an extra special ability to do that. I'm sorry that your day was so awful. Hope it was that last bad day for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is nothing like pets to make any day seem a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kim
    Dogs make our lives so complete & happy - what a great way to end your day - looking into those wonderful eyes of your pets, along with the wags, the licks and the smiling faces!

    An extra wiggle from Apples & Neeli and greetings from Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry you had a bad day!!! But how wonderful to come home to those loving pups ~ they do say pets lower your blood pressure. And I believe it ~ a few hugs kisses and rubs with Banjo when I get home and a bad day washes away. Oh the four legged friend ~ their unconditional love is priceless!

    Hope the rest of your week goes better Kim!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love how our rescued pets have the talent of rescuing us back, day after day.
    So glad the end of your day was better than the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. pleased things turned out ok!! lovely pictures once again!

    I hate it when the power goes off. We live out in the sticks and have power cuts alot and I get so scared the kids and hubby looks after me lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always loved reading that book to my students...
    and yes, nothing can make us forget our worries and troubles like our canine companions.
    Hoping Thursday will be a better day,
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  25. No matter what sort of day they have the gift of making us smile.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey there Kim
    THe 'not so good' days are there to help highlight the 'wonderful' days!
    I had to smile with your description of the lights going out. Do you know that we have regular power cuts in this city of ours? The feeling is really eerie! Can you imagine a large metropolis with large areas in total darkness?
    At those times, I have to haul out my little gas stove, boil the water in candlelight and we generally get to catch up on any missed sleep.

    Anyway, hope tomorrow is better. Sending lotsaluv to you.
    MAXMOM IN SA

    ReplyDelete
  27. That doesn't sound like a pleasant day, but if the details aren't that much worse, then things could have been far worse. Still, sorry it was unpleasant. My dogs are at my parents with Micheal. Staying home alone with the cats...but they are pleasant, too. Linus was rubbing all in my face when the alarm went off this a.m. And Monkey wasn't far behind.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like you've had a hard day. I know how those can be. I am glad that you went home to no "suprises" as that can always set the mood for an evening! LOL. Hope today is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You can tell their voices from the other side of the door? Amazing - just shows you how much they are you and you are....well, their whole lives. Those bad days seem so trivial when compared to what you have with those dogs. Those wagging tails and smiling faces were their continuous thank yous for inviting them into your life. All that attention during your walk is their way of stripping away the outside world (which clung to you like a bad suit that day). They were just reminding you that you can live in this moment with us, nothing else matters.....just us, our pack.

    ReplyDelete
  30. there is nothing like a doggy smile is there??

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dogs always seem to make things better. I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad day. The good thing about a bad day is that the next one will probably better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, that was one of our favorite books to read to the boys!

    I'm sorry to hear how very horrible, bad, and uncertain your day was but am delighted to see your happy greeting committee of Goldens! Dogs do make everything better.

    Next time you have a storm, please send it a bit southwest of Richmond! Thanks!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awww, poor Tanner, bless him. Do you know Kim, you can see the love they have for you in their eyes. Sorry you had such a bad day, hope your wekend is nice and relaxing for you. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is one of my treasured books too!! I'm so glad everything worked out ok in the end. They really do make everything better...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kim,
    Your so lucky to come home to your own fan club everyday.
    I can how these Golden's would brighten up everyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ah, Kim, just look at the loving adoration in those eyes! What a reward YOU received when you got home! Good Girl!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for sending the rain yesterday!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!