Its been a busy few days and I’m fighting blog-writer’s block, just like some of you have at some point, I suspect. My mind is spinning in circles, trying to come up with the words and articulate the things I'd like to say. It’s enormously frustrating, because every time I've started to write a post the last couple of days, what I've written doesn't seem good enough, and I just give up entirely.
It's not that I don't have something to write about, because I certainly have a lot of material. If I could find the words I could write a post about how in the early morning hours of Friday morning we were hit with torrential rains. I woke up when the power was coming back on, and it was raining in sheets. Carl left to go to work around 5 o'clock, and in the darkness didn't realize how flooded the road had become and found himself in water that was nearly to the car door. He was able to drive out of it a little, but in front of him, the water was much deeper and the driver of a Mustang, (below) became even more stranded than he was. Both sat and waited for the water to recede, which it did around 9 o'clock.
~Cell phone photo of the flooding~
Of course if I didn't have writers-block, I could write an update about Cricket. I could say how I thought that her vet visit on Thursday went pretty well, and how she was given the "royal treatment" by everyone in the office. I'd let you know that Cricket's test results were all returned and unfortunately showed that she has "significant signs of kidney disease." Our girl Annie has had the same thing for the past 2 years and while I'm disappointed that Cricket does also, what's needed for the both of them at home is something I feel pretty confident about providing.
Finally there is Shadow. I think this is where my problem with finding the words comes in. His vet visit on Friday gave no definitive diagnosis. After a barrage of tests, from x-rays to blood-work, the conclusion was that he has stenosis in his spine. We've begun giving him an anti-inflammatory medication. After two days, we should have seen a difference, but we've not. Of course I'm discouraged. This morning the heavy panting and his reluctance to move has already begun and is affecting his appetite. All we can do is hope he gets better, but his seeing a specialist is probably on the agenda.
So, yesterday in my muddied mind while Carl was tinkering with trying to get the tractor to start, I tried to focus on something else. You may recall how (unfortunately) the entire edge of our property was cleared when the utility wires and poles were put up for the new home in back of us. I've decided to turn the open space into a butterfly way-station for the Monarch butterfly. Our county is heavily investing in this, and I decided awhile back that I'd like to invest in it too. Yesterday I purchased the needed milkweed plants to set out. I happened to see our neighbor and mentioned to them what I was planning. There was a noticeable grimace on their faces as the husband commented about what a nuisance milkweed can be. But I'm not going to let that deter me. Because who knows, maybe with the work that will go into this project, I'll find the new words I need for the blog-posts that are to come, just as I hope the Monarch butterflies do.