Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Taste-Tester

Our week ended with my office having our Christmas party at my personal favorite restaurant. It was a delicious meal, and a lot of fun!  I work with a great group of people, even if they aren't all animal lovers.
Gus's week ended with a visit to his regular vet for a check up and to refill all of his medications and supplies. For several reasons, this past week wasn't a particular good week for him.  Gus has lost about 5 pounds that he didn't have to lose in the six months that he's been with us. He's noticeably thin and both of his vets and I feel that it's a combination of two things -- One is loss of muscle, and the other is because he has a mass in his abdomen that we think is not allowing him to absorb needed nutrients from his food. Despite knowing that, it's still  troubling to see his ribs even though he's fed twice as much as the other dogs.
~Gus stalking the lovely Ms. Yellow~
The trip to the vet is getting to be too much for Gus. I'm able to move him easy enough with the harness.  But everything from the slippery floors in the office, his having to stand, walk, falling along with the jostling around, getting in and out of my van, really takes a toll on him.  This time it left Gus almost totally immobile the next day. Thankfully after a good day of rest, he's rebounded and he is up and around.
Today Gus was feeling up to stalking the cat.  He even stayed with me in the kitchen while I did some baking, and was my hopeful taste-tester.
I think it made up for the vet visit.  I know it did for me.               

29 comments:

  1. oh, that sweet boy. keeps on trying, doesn't he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet dog with a hopeful look, and that restaurant looks lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing Gus watching Ms.Yellow. He's a really sweet pup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He has a lot of interest in life, doesn't he? I bet he loved the cookies!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least he knows he has to keep his eye on the cat......they're shady. Gus, don't eat the cat I hear the peeps frawn on that.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evening Kim, love that sweet face, I want to hug Gus so much..Blessings Francine..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where's Todd to help you? He should be doing more to pull his share.

    To me, a "great group of people" has 100% animal lovers. You can tell the laggards that I said so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stalking the cat....that's got to be a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's such a love! I'm sorry he's having so much trouble, but glad he had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sad to see sweet Gus having trouble. I am happy he rebounded after some rest.. I hope he got a treat.. Have a happy Monday and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those goodies look yummy.
    Poor Gus, lots of loves and hugs from us
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Gus. Hope he is feeling better soon and gains some weight back. It is so sad and heartbreaking to see our so loved pets struggling.
    I would have a cookie right now. They look so good.
    Do you feed the dogs chocolate? Ana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Gus. I sure hope his struggles can become less and less. I bet he enjoyed being your taste tester while you were baking! Yum!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I see his ribs, poor Gus! No way his tummy would tolerate a nutritional snack that none of his mate would see?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please give gussie a big hug from us. maybe that will make hims feel better.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every photo of Gus just absolutely tugs at my heart strings . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. That restaurant looks lovely, glad you had a great meal there. Thoughts are with Gus, he is doing good for his condition - the care you give (all of them) is out of this world splendid - a big pat on your back Kim, you and your hubby are one in a million.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor gussie ...he look so sweet.....give him a big hug from me ....love Ria....x!

    ReplyDelete
  19. elizabeth above . . . said it perfectly for me too.
    he "tugs at my heart strings."
    that patient beloved taste tester face. oh gus.
    xo♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet Gus, love him, and those cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder if instilling ASAP Silver solution in Beau's ears would help, it works well at killing bacteria without side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad he enjoyed the sweet treats. You are wise to focus on the good days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Our Harri had a mass in his abdomen in his latter years and his behaviour and weight loss were very similar to Gus. He too had good days and bad days. Mum knows only to well your statement 'it did for me'.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Every story about your Gus reminds me of our Steffi who also had DM. She was such a trooper too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just look at that beautiful Gus,,, He certainly does look like he is expecting to help you test out those cookies!! Rest does us all good- doesn't it?
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gus has a little of the energizer bunny in him! Sweet boy....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gus is an amazing boy. I'm so glad he has you to take care of him. And, being a taste-tester in your kitchen looks like a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, taste testing is my favorite job! It is much more fruitful than cat chasing, for sure! Kisses to Gus!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gus makes a very handsome, as well as hopeful, taste tester.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!