Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Labs: Breaking a Rule

I have to admit, that I'm a tiny bit superstitious.  I'd had a random thought that when I posted previously about "the Labs" I may be putting something out into the cosmos that would cause things to change.  And that's what happened.

On Monday morning, Bo wasn't feeling well and he refused his breakfast. I've been giving him Yunnan Baiyao. (a Chinese herb used during the Vietnam war to stop bleeding by activating platelets, and helping to stop any internal hemorrhaging.)  There is what's called a "rescue or emergency pill," so I gave him that, and by early afternoon he was feeling better. But Bo was still not himself. Knowing "mobile vet" was coming today, we've kept a close eye on him, and he seemed to be feeling a bit better.  Bo has been up and eating the last few days, but I can tell that he's not feeling well. Mobile Vet came this morning, and did a good exam and blood work that will be returned by tomorrow.  I've a feeling that the news will not be the best for Bo, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.
Mobile Vet also took a look at Peanut Butter/Georgie for me. I have something to confess in doing this. Because last week I called the rescue and asked if I could take him to the vet to have the tumors looked at, and I was not given permission to have him seen.  I explained that my goal is to keep Georgie comfortable, because I know there is no cure for the cancer that he has.  I continued by telling the coordinator that I fully realized that it's a fine line to walk in his being considered hospice care and treating the cancerous tumors. But she still would not allow me to have him seen. I was told by the coordinator that if Georgie is uncomfortable, that perhaps it's time to consider letting him go.  I told her that I felt strongly that it's not yet time.  But I was still not given permission for him to be seen by a vet.  **I will just add here that I really try very hard to follow the guidelines and rules of the rescues we volunteer with.  But I really felt that Georgie needed to be seen by a vet. So, this is why I broke a rule and had him seen by a vet anyway.
I so appreciated the time Mobile Vet took to explain to me all about Georgie's cancer. I really needed to talk to someone about my thoughts and concerns. Mobile Vet told me what to expect as the cancer progresses and what our care of him should be as well as what we've done right, and what we've done wrong. By the end of our visit, Mobile Vet had provided a good palliative plan going forward. This plan is completely and totally in line with the hospice care the rescue has asked me to provide for him, so I feel good about it. However, it also reminded me that our days with Georgie are limited.  But I have to hope that there are still many more good days ahead with him, and Bo too.

25 comments:

  1. God bless your caring heart.
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim,
    Its all so much to deal with, and you care so much..
    Remmeber even Angels cry.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, you see them every day, night, and can read the signals a long way better than a person in an office further way. Thank goodness for your mobile vet. You give them all so much love and care, and share with us their ups, downs, and we know how much they are so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vets have a better idea of timelines than cures. They said Kyla had 3 to 9 months of quality life and most likely six. Six months later....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like someone said above . . .
    God Bless Your Caring Heart . . .
    You are the best . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky both Bo and Georgie found their way to you, Kim. It is so distressing that there is no cure for them, but they are ending their days surrounded by love, and the best of care, with you and the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’re experienced w the winding downs days and you have a good heart, so we all know that you’ll make wise and compassionate decisions. Gail TF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I join in with the others above, God Bless your caring heart. I am glad you could talk with your Mobile Vet. Sending my prayers and well wishes for both Bo and Georgie. You are the best. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Georgie looks like such a sweetie pie. Sorry he (and you) are going through such a rough period. Bless you and your tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your husband are doing the best you can for Bo and Georgie. I think you did the right thing in having Mobile Vet see Georgie to help put your mind at ease with a care plan going forward. Those boys are lucky to have landed in your special home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it's so hard and we second guess ourselves, but all we can do is give them love and the best care we can give.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would have done the same thing. Sorry that the outlook for Georgie looks so bleak, he looks like a sweetheart. How's it looking for Bo? When do you get results from blood work?
    Hugs to them both and to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, God bless you, Kim for all you do. May Georgie and Bo have all the good days possible. Every day that we know we are loved is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you listen to your heart. and that is only one of the things I admire about you. you KNOW these wonderful beings in your care. and bless vets like the mobile one who will listen. and bless YOU darling bean.
    much love is being sent your way always. and to those who still have lots of good wag left in them. bless them always. xo♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have had many moments like yours when the good news broadcast is reversed very quickly. But it is still good to be able to have those happy times no matter how shortlived. We hope both Bo and Georgie have many more days at Golden Pines. Bless you for all you do.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Bo, you are lucky to be with a person who knows you best and looks out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One would think that with all your experience with dogs, that the Rescue would understand that you KNOW your dogs! We KNOW PB/Georgie will have a peaceful, loving end of life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really glad you spoke to mobile vet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so very glad that these dogs have you to care for them. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did the right thing with Georgie, of course.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't see how you do it, you are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bless you over and over. Georgie was a lucky boy to have had you in his life. Huge hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am glad that the MobileVet was able to help you with some of your questions...those two pups are very lucky to be there at Golden Pines with you. You have such a caring heart Kim! Blessings to you for all you do for those living under your roof.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do such a wonderful job with your pets in keeping them happy and safe and loved and healthy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Argh to that coordinator. You did the right thing. I hope that both Bo and Georgie are comfortable and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!