Saturday, December 9, 2017

A Sad Good-Bye to Georgie

Hello Blogging Friends!  It has been two weeks since I last posted, and I've missed you all and being able to blog.  But in between sick dogs, work, trips to the vet, work, (did I say that?), the holiday getting into full swing, it has left little time for blogging. 

But today as we are watching our first snow fall...
I am also mourning yesterdays loss of Georgie. Despite knowing in July when Georgie came to us as a "hospice foster" that this day was coming, it didn't make it any easier when it did. 
~First photo from Lab Rescue of a boy they knew as Peanut Butter~
I suppose that I always held onto the hope that the vets were wrong, and we'd be given more time than just 5 short months. The visible signs of the cancer were every where on his body (which is why he wore a shirt) and he had become paper-thin.
~A photo of a first day with Georgie~
George was still involved in the daily comings and goings and followed me every where I went.  He had a voracious appetite, and still loved playing ball.  This all made the decision to let him go, that much more difficult and that much sadder. 
~Georgie in August~
George was truly a dog that was full of heart and courage. But I knew this week when the cancer became visible around his eyes, and he was having trouble seeing, that it was his time. So, yesterday as I held his beautiful face in my hands, I told him all those things that come from the heart at those times, including that sadly, his journey and his battle that was so hard fought, was over. It was time for me to let go. It was time for him to leave us. It was time for him to rest. He quietly left this world for the next. 
~George in October~
God speed to another lost boy who found his way as a stray from a shelter in Charleston West Virginia over 250 miles away to Lab Rescue, and then to us.  I have no regrets other than the feeling of being "cheated" out of never being able to see Georgie as a healthy and vibrant Chocolate Lab - Which is why I look forward to seeing him that way when we meet again one day at the Rainbow Bridge. 
~A last photo of George taken a week ago~


Finally, thank-you all for stopping by and for sharing in the loss of Georgie.  I hope you'll bear with me as I regain my footing from all that has been happening on the home-front and mourn this loss.  I am down, but not out - So, until I regain that momentum, and to end on a positive note, here's a photo of Todd taken after a trip to the groomers on Thursday. What would I do without this character?

33 comments:

  1. Georgie was a beautiful and sweet boy. I'm sorry for your loss.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Georgie. He sure was a sweet boy and I know you will have a happy reunion some day. Until then you know your heart and home will welcome another dog in need sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are sad to hear that Georgie has made his journey to the Rainbow Bridge but so thankful that he knew love with you. sending you lots of pug hugs
    love
    Hazel, Mabel & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad, I'm so sorry. But what a wonderful gift you gave him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time to grieve, but also time to be so thankful that Georgie was with you, even if for those short 5 months. Decisions like that are so hard, and as always, you gave him the freedom he so deserved. The greeting at the Rainbow Bridge would have been joyous and long, as he was greeted with love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kim,,, we understand so fully how you are feeling,,, sadness with having to say goodbye to Georgie... So many good byes,, you have been through,, and each one pulls the rug out from under your feet,,,, Then somehow you find the strength to get back up and keep on loving..
    We are soooo sorry,, You tried your hardest,,
    You did make Georgie feel loved,, because I could see it in his face.
    Sending love to you Kim,, and all of you at Golden Pines..
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, but I'm grateful for all the joy you gave him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry. The pain of losing every one of the ones that are gone must be tough every time. I imagine it never gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Georgie passed away in the arms of someone who gave him love. He was a lucky pup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kim, again you've given of yourself, and paid the heart-price. Georgie was lucky enough to know he has loved to the last breath. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, I'm so very sorry that you've had to let Georgie go. You gave him love and security, the best months of his life, and held him at those last moments. He's at peace now, and out of pain, but we shall all mourn your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sorry to hear about Georgie butt I nose that you will have given him the most wonderful and happy time while he was with you and I am sending you the most enormous *mwah* (licky kiss) for being a really special lady
    Oh and Todd, wanna share your Icey cream ?????
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. would that we humans could endure with such grace and courage. tears streaming. and yet to know that his last five months with you were probably the best of his life in loving care. that should comfort you darling bean. we all love you too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, it is sad news to hear about Georgie, I hope he is resting peacefully. I know he enjoyed the last 5 months of his life with you and the gang. Cute photo of Todd. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do.

    Monty, Harlow, and Ramble

    ReplyDelete
  16. Five months crowned with tenderness, kindness and care. The greatest gift a human companion who understands when 'that' moment comes and is there when the journey begins. Adieu.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No doubt the best five months of
    loving kindness and playing ball antics ever!
    You are “miracle love” to so many Kim . . .
    RIP Georgie . . .

    Thank goodness Todd is around for a few smiles today!
    Bet he loves the groomers with that ice cream treat to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Next week will be the third anniversary of losing Kyla, a rescue Scottie whom Todd would have loved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet Georgie. I'm so glad he felt your love. Thank you once again, for all you do to give these dogs quality of life. You are one in a million.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet, precious boy - Godspeed, Georgie. My sweet 15 1/2 yr old Emma passed away last Saturday morning. Like Georgie, she still had an appetite, and was moving around quite well, but was wasting away physically and covered in lumps and bumps. After breakfast she curled up in her usual spot to snooze, then went into a sudden violent seizure that would not end; she died in the car on the way to the emergency vet clinic :( I wish I had let her go peacefully at home earlier, I thought of it many times, but it is so hard to make that decision...

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are tears here for this dear boy and you. There was always something extra special about Georgie to me. I fell for him from the time I saw that first photo as Peanut Butter. May God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sharing tears as we remember a sweet boy who ended his life surrounded by love.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Take all the time you need, Kim. *hugs* God bless.
    I imagine it is hard to be sad with Todd around. He would have it no other way!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so glad you are in this world to rescue these wonderful dogs. Bless you and all that you do. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Although we too are very sad to see Georgie go, we are sure that you gave him some very happy and loving days in his short time with you. Thank you again for all you do.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  26. You were Georgie's angel on this Earth. He knew that - and that's why he followed you everywhere. It sounds like he had a true Lab's heart, with his zest for life throughout all that life threw at him. Thank you, Kim, for loving him and giving him a piece of your heart. You are truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I mourn the loss of Georgie with you. How fortunate he was to spend his final months with you. He must have so welcomed all the love and care you gave him. He will meet up with all your other furry friends up there on the Rainbow Bridge where they will all be well and whole again. We have 3 wonderful friends up there that are still sorely missed after many years of love from them. Onward and upwards now and on with the wonderful work you do. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My deepest sympathy upon the loss of Georgie, Kim. And my profound gratefulness, from one rescuer to another, that he knew love during his last times on earth. I look forward to meeting him one day, over the Bridge. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank God he spent the last 5 months of his life with you getting love and care. Hug. Gail TF

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sorry it was time for Georgie to go but you were right to let him go before things got any worse for him. The time is never right to say good-bye.

    As our vet said to us, when the stray and always silent Virginia Walker Hound, Toby, came to live with us for a too brief 10 months, "You gave him the best home and love he'd ever known. You gave him a name. He was loved and he knew it. What better way to end life?"

    Big hugs to all who loved Georgie.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ojo here. Good-bye, Georgie. I can see the happiness in your eyes and I know you have a wonderful last five months!

    ReplyDelete
  32. We're sorry that your time together was so short but it seems that you formed quite a bond.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!