Monday, September 3, 2018

The Unofficial Finish Line of Summer

Monday. Labor Day weekend and the mark of the end of summer.  Okay, just to be technical, Labor Day is not the official end of summer – that title is reserved for September 21st since the 22nd marks the first official day of fall. But with that being said, many people like me, see it as summer ending. And talk about ending, I'm not just limping across the finish line to the end of summer, I am being dragged across it, waving my white flag of surrender.....I AM DONE with summer. It has been far too busy and a much too hectic summer.

This past Saturday we were invited to a Shabbat lunch with the family that adopted Brandon.  It was such a lovely and enjoyable afternoon, and it was great to see Brandon all settled in.  He is loved, adored and pampered, as I knew he would be. I've made the joke several times that if there were 100 ways to spoil Brandon, Pam will find 110!
~Brandon and his new pack-mate Omelet~
Back at home, the crew is doing pretty well.  Eva spends most of her days sleeping, and I know it is because the kidney disease is progressing. There are times that I see the "old Eva" and I cannot help but smile and be grateful for those moments when her illness is not so much on the surface.
~A good day for Eva last Thursday~
I've also been grateful that Eva's appetite had been stable the last several weeks. But this weekend she missed 3 meals in a row, so I'm back to trying to find something she'll want to eat.  If you have a few to spare, could you send some good vibes for her? 

On the much lighter side, Cissy (below) has been eating her meals with Chipper, our foster boy from Lab Rescue because they both eat slower than the others. But he has seemed so hungry lately and I found out why. I've left he and Cissy alone to eat, and she has been eating his food.  Under that innocent senior face, lies a food stealer. Who knew?  Today she got a bath, and I think I heard a snicker or two from Chipper about that.
We did take some time to sit and relax on the porch today. 
Even Eva (below) joined us.
As Labor Day weekend comes to an end, it's easy to see that the nights are drawing in. It will be dark when our day starts on Tuesday.  I'm not sad that Summer is leaving us. We will still have some nice days in September and October and even into November. But I am glad to put the summer unofficially behind us and I look forward to Autumn, and a new season.

22 comments:

  1. Brandon and Omelet, perfect pals, and a wonderful cushion all to themselves. Eva, she looks happy, and maybe that is all you can hope for, I know she and all the others have the very best care ever.Down here, a cold snap, snow down south and an hour north of us, lit the fire at 6 a.m.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Oz, we don't officially go by numbers. So as of the 1st of September, it's Spring. The flowers know it, but somehow the weather isn't quite ready to warm up.

    So happy Brandon is living a life of luxury and love, and Eva is still able to have some happy times. We're sending our strongest vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good and useful information and like your creativity, it made me read a lot around and your dog is very cute.
    ความงาม

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you Kim . . .
    Ready to put summer to bed . . .
    Labor Day . . .
    School beginning . . .
    Time to think about the new season . . .
    Happy Brandon has settled in and the pups seem ok . . .
    Enjoy these September Days . . ,

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I have had a problem eater I have found canned cat food (the stinkier the better). First a little plain and then some mixed into the regular food. I had a diabetic dog who had to eat after his shot and this was my fallback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, sending good vibes to Eva. I am ready for the hot and humid weather to go away. I am glad Brandon is being spoiled and is happy in his new home. Cute doggies and photos. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been a disappointing and uncomfortable summer and although I always hate to say good bye to the season, I am looking forward to cooler times. However, shorter days make me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every multi-dog household has a food thief. Some only dog ones also have a food thief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean, September is the wind down of summer. Sorry you had such a rough summer. Maybe fall will bring better days. Thinking of you and the dogs. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am DONE with summer always. it just gets so hot and sticky here that I have to hibernate in half of it.
    and for a fresh air lover? yikes.
    I love these pictures today. each one is a wonderful heart beat. a little furry blessing.
    love on them all for me darling bean. you're the BEST! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending good vibes from the NC mountains to your VA home and Eva. May she find comfort most days and go peacefully to sleep when it is her time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad all are doing well and hanging in there . Summer is my fave season all though it has been quite a hot humid dry one for us this year and still is so far I will be glad of fall/Autumn for the relief of the heat and having the windows open to fresh cool air and all the colours in our valley forest is always such a delight . Lovely photos of your clan and glad to hear Brandon is doing well with his new family . Sending hugs and kisses from Miggs and I to you and your clan .

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so happy to hear that Brandon is doing so well, and that Eva is hanging in there. We think of you all the time and will continue to send sibe vibes for all you have there in need.

    That Cissy is a little thief, eh? We all gobble our food down so fast that there would be no worry about thievery:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  14. So perfect to see pictures of Brandon in his new home!! That makes everyone happy!
    Were looking forward for summer to leave too.. Another part of the world can enjoy it!
    There must be something for Sissy to eat that she likes!
    Guess what? We got our blog back after 9 months!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're ready for summer to end here too but today we are having temps in the 90's again. What a sweet picture of Brandon and his new fur sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad Brandon has settled in. POTP for Eva. I will be glad when the temperatures cool down but I am already not enjoying the dark mornings and evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brandon looks so content and happy with Omelet! Glad to hear that Eva is hanging in there! A new little thief in the pack...who knew? :) I am SO ready for FALL! Cooler temps!!! YES! The humidity did me in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'Seeing the old Eva ', even if only briefly, is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have a good stealer, so she gets fed last...and still manages to finish first, and then tries to "help" her sisters! She is such a giver! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry for Chipper, but pretty funny about her eating his food.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am dragging across the finish line for summer as well!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!