Monday, July 13, 2020

Celebrating Fourteen Years

I am humbled and grateful and so happy that on Monday, July 13th, we will reach what I consider a real milestone and a day of celebration and cheers.

The occasion?  It is exactly 14 years to the day that Charlie came into our lives. Fourteen years.  I cannot believe it. Fourteen years ago, I was serving as president of the Golden Retriever Rescue, and was helping out Old English Sheepdog Rescue whose president I'd gotten to know a few months before. She called and told me about a "sheep dog mix" in a shelter near me, and asked if I could get him for them. Of course I agreed.

~The shelter papers for Charlie in 2006~
The shelter had named him "Charlie" and he was certainly cute enough. But in my mind, 14 years ago, he wasn't a Golden Retriever, and I never, ever had any thoughts about keeping him, but I did agree to foster him until a home could be found.

Charlie was added to the "Petfinder" website and there were several people who were interested in Charlie. This included a movie production company that wanted to buy him - And I am not kidding, even Old Navy contacted sheep dog rescue about maybe "leasing Charlie" for an ad campaign they were doing. Of course we rejected those offers, ending Charlie's chance at stardom - I remember thinking, "movies and commercials? Really? Am I missing something?" 
~The Face of a movie-star? Really?~
Everyone was drawn to Charlie, and as I just said, I just didn't see it, or feel a connection to this white-shaggy-dog, despite 2 perspective family's telling me that they thought I should keep Charlie because they thought he was bonded to me.  But I didn't waiver, he wasn't a Golden Retriever, and I really didn't want to keep him.

I'm not sure when I changed my mind about Charlie. But I did, and it was some time in late fall of 2006 we made it official, and he became a member of our pack, and our very first, non-Golden Retriever.
~Our pack in the fall of 2006~
I've never looked back and of course, I've never, ever for a single moment regretted keeping him. Charlie is a companion, a friend, a partner, a teacher, a listener, a student and a connection to a past and our present. He is a true gift.

At what I am sure is more than 15 years old, Charlie sleeps more than he did, doesn't hear so well, his appetite can be compared to a finicky cat, and he's not as steady on his feet as he was even 6 months ago.  But this goal of 14 years together, as I said at the start of this post, has me humbled and grateful and celebrating.
~Charlie, 14-years later~

26 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Charlie . . .
    Nice home you have!
    I’d keep you as well . . .
    Wishing you head pats, tummy rubs, hugs too!
    Live on. Live on . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Charlie. LOVED by so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie sure is a sweetie and you are lucky to have him. We think it is his unique eyes that drew Hollywood to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you and Charlie. I think they often teach us more than we teach them. Maybe Charlie taught you to look beyond the breed title into the real little being inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and God bless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! Both Charlie's face and your heart!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh beloved Charlie. I know we shouldn't have favorites.
    but you have always been mine.
    and she forgot to mention what a good little road trip traveler you've been too! you're just an all around great fellow! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautifully said, hug Charlie for all of us. He is a blessing to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful tribute to your special boy. He's seen a lot of GP dogs come and go. He always sticks out like a fluffy diamond in a sea of gold. Hang in there buddy, you still have many days to share with you friends and pack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie 14 ! How quickly time flies. Hope there's a celebratory sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How could anyone resist that face. Love at first sight is overblown, but love that creeps up on you is so very special. Happy Birthday, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We did not know the story of Charlie - but we do know that he was meant to be a part of your family. 14 years - that is impressive!!!

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet post. I am so glad for both you and him that you've had all of these years together. I can tell that he is a true sweetheart and that your bond with him is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should have let him work and give the money received to rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the photo of Charlie with the pack - they all look so happy.
    There is an English TV ad. featuring a dog that looks exactly like Charlie, and I always think of him whenever I see it! Maybe a family member of his has found fame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,

    Everyone loves Charlie! I am so glad you decided to Keep Charlie, he turned out to be a great member of your pack.
    Love all your Charlie photos. HUGS for Charlie.. Enjoy your day, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful old doggie! Hope he can hang around for a couple more years!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! What a wonderful story! Charlie is still very handsome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes my comments seem to disappear into oblivion! :)
    Sometimes life seems to know what we need more than we do ourselves. I'm so glad it worked out for Charlie and all of you. ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  20. I, too did not know Charlie's story. Hurray for this very dear boy; reason to celebrate indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this heartwarming post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. how wonderful for you and for Charlie. 14 years is such a great milestone and he really did win you over when you didn't even realise he was working on you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have always loved Charlie, there's just something so very special about him. Maybe that's what those movie people saw as well. I'm so happy you changed your mind and that Charlie stayed with you. All this time!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!