Sunday, November 29, 2020

Chuffed Up

Its been the usual crazy, hectic and busy the last few weeks. I've sat down several times to write a post, but the words didn't come as fast as the distractions have. In looking at my posts, I have 3 that are in "draft." This one will make it 4 if I don't finish and publish it.

Like so many, we had a nice and quiet Thanksgiving. I decided this year to not pick up a prepared dinner from our favorite grocery store (Wegmans) as I have the last 3 years, but instead to do it all myself. Except for the pies. The daughter of a friend of mine, made and sold homemade pies to earn some extra money. The apple pies were beautiful and taste as good as they look. I'm glad I bought two. It was for a good cause after all. 😊

Whatever is going on inside, doesn't keep Todd from being on patrol outside. We have woods along the back edge of our fenced yard and we see deer in there all the time - and of course Todd has to bark at every. single. deer he sees. 

The deer seem to know that he's all bark and can't bite, and they have learned to accept him because they go on living their lives as normal. At least that's how it typically is.

Cue the arrival of a big and handsome buck. (photo below) The other day this buck stumbled out of the woods right after another deer and right in front of a barking Todd. He must've thought Todd was after his girlfriend because he reared up once and then charged at Todd, hitting the fence. I saw it all from the back porch and went as fast as my gimpy knee would allow to chase the deer away. But not before he charged the fence at a very worked up Todd a second time. By the time I got to Todd, the buck ran off - along with his girlfriend who was watching close by. 


Now experts say that dogs don't feel pride because it's a human emotion and dogs have an emotional  repertoire of a 3 year old. I have to disagree with that. Because in that moment when Todd turned and came to me, I saw nothing but a confident, chuffed-up, and very proud Scottish Terrier - And I can't be sure, but I think he was walking on air, because he seemed about 2 inches taller as we walked back to the house.

He's a good Scottie. 


29 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I am glad you had a Happy Thanksgiving, the pie looks delicious. Wegmans is one of our favorite stores too. Awesome shot of the buck. Todd is a good guard dog and cute too. Take care, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite a deer adventure. Glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our dogs don't mess with the rattlesnakes or packs of coyotes. They just know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Todd! I bark at the Georgetown deer and a anything else that moves in my patio area. 🐿 s ! Bunnies 🐰.....keep up the good work! Smooches Sister Jazzi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's sister in St. Louis has deer in her yard many mornings, and some of them have threatened her when she tried to chase them away. They live right in the city, with houses on every side, but that makes the deer are protected (who would shoot off a gun in town?), and they lose all fear of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hahahaha* Todd!!!! Yes, I'm sure he was chuffed-up indeed!! Big bad buck can't scare me!!! :-D ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no doubt that Todd was feeling pretty proud of himself about facing and "scaring" the buck! What a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think dogs feel a range of emotions just like we do and am sure pride is one of them. Well done your little dog for being brave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pie looks delish! Todd surely was proud of standing up to that huge buck. We're glad your fence and Todd survived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Todd defended you all and I'm sure thought he chased the buck away. And I always thought terriers were very proud dogs. I've never lived with one, but it's the impression they give off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Yep,, don't you worry, Mom, I chased him away!"...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, Todd! You are such a tough guy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated Thanksgiving!!! That pie looks wonderful and shows a lot of effort to make that lattice top.

    Way to go, Todd - you sure told that buck a thing or two:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for Todd, protecting hearth and home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deer can be real nasty with dogs...good for a fence...and yes I bet your Todd thought he was a big success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! you GO TODD! nothing wrong with a little scotty swagger!
    be careful on that leg dear heart. hope your week is wonderful.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Todd is a good, brave doggie trying to scare that deer away from his yard! I saw lots of deer while I was driving home from work last night. They're crazy this time of year, and the hunters are after them too.

    You have Wegmans where you live too? It's our favorite grocery store and had it's roots in our area (Rochester NY.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I really like to hear your story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing like the pride of a Scottie who has dealt with adversity and seen off a family threat !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi friends! Ojo here! Todd you look very handsome in the fall sunshine! Good job showing those deer who's boss!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good ole’ boy Todd . . .
    I would have been a bit nervous
    running out like you did
    but it all ended well it seems.
    I caught the “gimpy knee” bit . . .
    Just what is happening ther

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good ole’ boy Todd!
    I would have been a bit nervous
    running out there to save the day.
    But Todd seemed to have it under control!
    I caught that “gimpy knee” bit . . .
    what is happening there?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a brave boy you are Todd - you really are the very best at taking care of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good job, Todd! We all wish we would see a buck in our yard, all we ever see are the does. Luke would be most excited about that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. High Paw Todd!! You are clever. You got your Mom to chase away dat buck. BOL.
    Wags,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi friends! Ojo here! We hope you're all well!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!