Saturday, September 17, 2022

Goodbye to our Barkalot Boy, George

It has been a crazy busy time. With my counterpart at work still out sick, I've worked a 'double booked schedule' at my office every day. I'm mentally exhausted. Thankfully it appears that my co-worker will be returning to work on Monday. In more ways than one, I'm grateful that *she* is feeling better. 

At home, the dogs all seem to understand and have patiently waited for their dinner that has come a bit late on a few nights. 

But for the 3rd time in about 2 months, what could not wait or be postponed any longer, was our saying goodbye to our beloved boy, George on Friday. George has been declining physically over the last few months, but despite that, his spark and spirited determination were as strong as ever. 

In allowing his will and determination to continue and to help make his life easier, thanks to a kind supporting friend, we purchased a garden-wagon with removable sides that helped us to get George outside, and saved his needed strength and ours too. With one of the sides removed, and an added rug for comfort, it was perfect inside and outside. 

Despite George's perseverance and I'll add courage, he became unable to stand on his own, and sitting up became difficult too. We knew it was time to make the hardest decision a pet owner has to make, and that was to let him go .....  George was always nervous at the vet and so I wanted that goodbye to take place here at home.

~George and Shelby~

Yesterday afternoon was warm and sunny on our front porch and as the sun was beginning to set at the end of the day, we sat with George, giving him lots of treats and said those things to him that come in these tender quiet moments -- And, with one last final bark, another reminder of George's strong spirit, he bid this world goodbye and began his journey to the next life, leaving behind a silence that has filled the air as much as his bark did. How I already miss him. ❤

George & Abe's Story:

George came to us in the fall of 2019 along with his brother Abe, via Lab Rescue. The two together, very quickly and appropriately were given the name of  "The Barkalot Brothers," because well, they continually and endlessly barked a lot. A whole lot. It was something we were never able to stop them from doing. But we somehow kind of got used to it. 

~George, left and Abe Barkalot~

In mid-December of  2019 the health of their original owner, Paul had improved and so he asked if the rescue would return them to him. We all agreed, and by January, the two were back home. 

~The day George and Abe returned to Paul~

I kept in touch with Paul and in the spring I received a text-message asking me if we would take George back. Abe had passed away a month before and Paul's health was again declining, and he was no longer able to care for George. We of course welcomed him back, and we officially became George's new-forever family. Even with that bark that never seemed to stop, we never for a moment regretted it. We dearly and completely loved our Barkalot boy. 

~In the car with us, the day George came back to us~

I've felt for a very long time that George was truly among the biggest-hearted and soulful of dogs that I've shared my life with, second only to without a doubt, the biggest barker we've ever had - Next to Todd, that's really something - And so I cannot I cannot help but think that as George was met on the other side by his brother Abe, that the Rainbow Bridge has become a bit of a noisier place. I will look forward to the day when I see them both again, and find this out for sure. ❤❤

Video above, "The Best of the Barkalots" 

17 comments:

  1. my eyes are full of tears, each time a beloved pet crosses that rainbow, it hurts my heart, even the ones I don't know. I love the 21 bark salute video. so perfect to say good bye to Sir Barksalot!
    my condolences and love to all of you left with an empty place in your heart. I am so happy to read that you could keep them when they needed it, part with then when their human needed them and once again a furever home.. I am with you on rescue of senior dogs, and wish I were not so old because it gets harder to care for the big older dogs for us and those are the ones with needs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww run free and bark George! So hard to say goodbye...I would much rather say hello:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so sorry to hear that George has gone to the bridge. The Barkalot Brothers definitely had a joyous and noisy reunion there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry to hear of your sad loss of George - how much quieter the house must be without his presence.
    It's especially poignant for me, because he reminds me so much of Sultan, my very first yellow Lab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    So sorry about George. May George RIP. It is very hard to say goodbye to our pets, they are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. George is now reunited with Abe, so there is joy here and there. As much of a heartbreak as it was, you've given George the last kindness in letting him go.

    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the story of George. ♥ although I forgot he was part of the Barkalot brothers. I can't imagine how quiet the house is...run free George ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. My words are few today, dearest friend... explained on my blog. But know I love you more with each passing day. You are a kindred spirit to me like no other human. Rest, sweet George, and fly free. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. At home, with you right there, so loved. And the video, they could win a song contest so easily. George, Abe would be waiting with a huge welcome, you leave a gap, but memories of your heart and spirit stay always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. George - we are grateful to have shared in part of your journey. Run free sweet boy. Say hi ti Abe for us. Love to those who knew him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much loss in short period of time. You know all the good you’ve done for all 3 of the dogs, which I hope helps to comfort you. Gail in New Kent

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Kim, I'm so sorry. I became fond of George as I read about his trip back home and then back to you. I guess your home will be quiet now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Kim, my heart breaks for you. Sweet, sweet George. I too became very fond of this darling boy with a big heart. He had such a good face; I loved to see it. What happiness you gave him. Yes, a joyful day to come, when tears will fall no more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do remember when George and Abe came to you, and then George came back. I know there will be times when you miss his talking to you. As always, thanks for all you do to help these dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very sorry to learn of George's passing Kim, he was such a beautiful, gentle soul. He was loved until the end, I'm sure he knew it well.
    Hugs sweet friend,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to learn of George's passing to the realm of Angels.It never easy to help them make such journeys, and my heart aches for you.

    Sending many hugs and much love. ((( ♥ )))

    (I made you a memento and just sent it to you in an email.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We just heard about your dear George and we're so very sorry. Hugs and love from all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!