Sunday, February 5, 2023

Jaycee - Color Dilution Alopecia

Our February began with just a little bit of snow, that practically disappeared if you blinked. It was the bitter cold that was hard to miss. But it was easier to take knowing it wasn't going to hang around for long. By Sunday afternoon milder and warmer air arrived and is in the forecast for the week ahead.

Lately, my days off have been spent at the vets office. This past week was no different and this time, it was Jaycee's turn. 

I am both sad and worried for Jaycee. We've had her for almost a year now and there has been some interest from hopeful adopters, but no matches. And I have to confess to being brought to tears when it's not a match with someone that I thought may be perfect and when other dogs who've not been available for adoption that long, find their new family. I'm trying to remain hopeful. But it's not always easy.

But Jaycee's vet visit was an uneventful one because it was just a yearly exam to make sure she's current on everything for when the day does come, she'll be ready for adoption. 

A health concern I have with Jaycee, is that she has alopecia on her sides, and on top of her head. 

~The top of Jaycee's head~

I've always thought she would regrow hair in these areas, but she hasn't. The vet explained that she has "color dilution alopecia" (CDA) which is a genetic-recessive-inherited condition that causes patches of hair thinning or loss. Interesting, at least to me, it's also this same diluted gene that gives Jaycee her silvery color, and her dappled ear.

I had no idea, and because everything on the internet is true, I looked it up and read about it. You really can learn something new every day. Even on the internet. 🙂

~The beautiful Daisy~

12 comments:

  1. Glad it's nothing serious, healthwise, with Jaycee. Daisy is indeed beautiful.
    Glad you are all doing well, Kim. Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaycee is a dear, she doesn't even know she has that condition. I hope she finds a forever family, or is that family turning out to be you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Jaycee - she doesn't look very happy, but hopefully she'll cheer up when she finds her forever home.
    Daisy looks such a happy girl - who could resist that beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Love both Jaycee and Daisy, I am glad there is nothing serious going on. It would be nice if Jaycee found a forever home. Take care, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will keep our paws crossed that the beautiful Jaycee will find her forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaycee is gorgeous with or without hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Jaycee gets a forever home sometime soon. I can only imagine how hard it is to see her passed up:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jaycee has the sweetest face and I love he spots on her ear. Daisy is a beauty too. Hope Jaycee finds a forever home real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love that dappled ear. Jaycee is beautiful. and we hope a loving forever home comes along soon for her.

    Happy Daisy:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting about Jaycee's recessive gene color. I never realized there was such a thing. You CAN learn something on the internet! :) Love her special coloring. I hope she finds a family soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was interesting to learn about Jaycee's hair loss problem. Hopefully she'll find her forever family soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Jaycee is absolutely darling. And Daisy too, of course. I somehow missed this post so I am late in commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!