Sunday, July 30, 2023

A Rescue Story

You may recall that on Thursday's I take the calls for Lab Rescue, from the 'owner give up line.' A few weeks ago I got a call from a Realtor who had come upon 2 Labs being kept outside in a 5 x 8 pen. He described the conditions as deplorable, and used similar words to describe their owner. With the heat, Mr. Realtor felt that it was a dire situation for the pair, and he asked the owner to give the two dogs, named Gunnar and Lucy to him. Of course he wouldn't. Money talks. Mr. Realtor ended up buying the pair from him - For how much, I've no idea. 

~Lucy~

Mr. Realtor immediately took them to his vet, and they were given check ups, bathed, nails trimmed, and appropriate vaccines were given ... It was also discovered that Lucy was expecting puppies in a couple of weeks. Not sure of what to do next, Mr. Realtor called Lab Rescue - And I returned his call. 

~Gunnar~
**I will add here that my role in answering 'the owner give up line,' is return all calls and to decide if Lab Rescue is right for a particular dog -- I get photos and ask about 2 pages worth of questions covering everything from favorite treats to last vet visit. All that information is put into a report that I send to a coordinator who gathers any vet records, and arranges boarding with vets offices and other coordinators for the dogs to come in to the rescue. I tell the owners it may take 4-6 weeks. Dogs in shelters have priority over dogs being given up from owners. 

~Gunnar, left and Lucy on the right~

But, back to my story .... I explained to Mr. Realtor what my volunteer role was. I told him that my coordinator was out of town, and a weekend was coming up, and even though I knew boarding space was a premium, I would do my best and add an 'urgent' to my report. Which I did do - I sent everything to the medical and foster home coordinators that typically don't work on the weekends. 

Meanwhile,  Mr. Realtor assured me that he could manage having Gunnar and Lucy at his home, where he has a cattle dog, a geriatric German Shepherd, and a Lab mix. 

At first, Mr. Realtor seemed to have everything under control. The text messages were positive, and I was optimistic that time was on our side. Mr. Realtor even sent me a video of the pair. 

But unfortunately Mr. Realtor quickly realized he was in over his head because his dogs were not accepting of Gunnar and Lucy. He told me he thought he could keep them all separated and safe. I'm still not sure if or how he did it. All I know is that I got the below text on Sunday afternoon. 

I'll admit I had a moment of panic thinking about 2 dogs coming to our house - And one of them expecting puppies - It sent this whole situation to a whole other level. I was able to talk Mr. Realtor through everything and calm his worries and concerns because I knew behind the scenes it was already being worked on. 

Thankfully on Monday, the coordinator was able to arrange for Gunnar to be both boarded and neutered, and she found a foster home for him too. 

The Foster Home Coordinator also found a foster home for Lucy - one that specifically takes expectant Mom's and their puppies. 

The pieces truly all came together. I could not have been happier or more relieved. And it was just in time. Lucy arrived at her foster home on Tuesday and on Friday she gave birth to 9 puppies. It was a very rough labor for Lucy and three pups were stillborn - she finished having her little ones at vets office because she was having such a hard time. 

We are all sad that 3 little ones were lost. But the thought of Lucy giving birth outside in the heat, and needing vet care during the delivery would have probably meant more would not have survived. Perhaps not even Lucy.  

But thankfully and gratefully, Lucy has six healthy puppies and I'm told that she is being a great mom!  

And Gunnar has already found a new forever home too.  


Eight lives have been saved. ❤

20 comments:

  1. Mr. Realtor deserves a medal , as do you and all the rest for being angels on earth. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, "Mr. Realtor" truly was a hero, and an angel all at the same time!

      Delete
  2. A trial to get it all sorted out, but what a finish. Thanks goodness for Mr Realtor who did his very best. The previous owner should be prosecuted, but he took the money!!! Medals all round, for Lucy and her vet and Gunnar too,you and Mr R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Having whelped a few litters, I cannot imagine what might have happened if the Momma had not been rescued in time! I hope the eight all find wonderful homes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We applaud both Mr. Realtor and YOU for all the efforts taken to help these two dogs. We can't share our words for the original owner:(. All the best to Gunnar, Lucy and the sweet pups. RIP, little trio.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Realtor was very courageous to rescue Lucy and Gunnar and just in the nick of time. Thank you for all you did to help them find new homes. It's too bad that Lucy and Gunnar couldn't stay together, but we bet Lucy is too busy to be missing Gunnar right now with her little ones to tend to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that it was too bad the two couldn't stay together. But given the circumstances they just could not. Gunnar has been adopted to a home with another dog, so he has a companion - And Lucy has lots of company too! 🥰

      Delete
  6. What a roller coaster you must ride! So glad everything worked out. Congrats to Lucy and her babies. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story brought tears of joy to me. You and the rescue are all true angels. ♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you both. I'm so glad it worked out well. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that everything worked out well, thanks your combined efforts, Kim. It's good that they were taken away from their terrible owner. I'm sure the pups and Lucy will all find happy forever homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    Gunnar and Lucy are beautiful dogs and the puppies are adorable. It is sad Lucy and Gunnar could not stay together but I am happy all worked out in the end. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gold medals all around!! If only all stories could have such happy outcomes. Thank God for people who not only care but do all they can to help. The puppies are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your rescue ( realtor) positively changed the trajectory of 8 lives. God bless you. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Kim, I just love you, I love Mr. Realtor too for noticing and getting Gunnar and Lucy out of the horrible heat and taken care of. I can just imagine poor Lucy giving birth in that small hot pen. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness there are good, kind people to undo the damage done by ignorant and heartless creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How are the puppies and Mama doing?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story as about as happy an ending as one could. I wish Lucy and the pups all the best!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!