Monday, August 18, 2014

The Small Town Renegades

The day started out normally enough.  I'd walked, loved, fed and medicated the dogs and left the house right on time.  Then, it happened.... On my road just before town, there was a Great Dane and a puppy in the road.  Cars were going past, and the older one knew to avoid the cars, but the little one was obviously confused as to what to do.  I honked my horn, thinking I could scare them both back into the yard of the nearby house, or alert the tenants that their dogs were out.  But instead, it startled the puppy who then ran as fast as she could into a nearby field. Without much time to spare, I pulled over to see if I could at least catch the puppy.  When I opened the side door to get a leash, the adult Great Dane ran over to me and jumped into my van.  I only had to catch the puppy, which was a little difficult because she was so scared.  But using my 'happy voice' and wanting to follow its partner in crime, I managed to get them both inside. Fortunately they were both nice and very friendly dogs. Of course neither had collars with ID tags on them.  The puppy quickly became playful and even ate my breakfast that I'd left on the seat.  The big-boy just seemed happy that the adventure was going to continue.    
After stopping several passing cars, I decided to take the duo home and put them into our yard.  Of course pandemonium broke out inside the house when our dogs realized that their turf had been invaded.  I was in such a rush, and so pressed for time by now, but I decided to post on two Facebook pages for our town about the dogs.  Then I took a few more minutes to make signs to put up around where I'd found the dogs. And somehow in all of that, I managed to lose my cell phone, and even locked my keys in my van.  At least something was going right because I was able to find my phone, unlock my van, just as I received the phone call from the one person who I knew could help me--Lydia, my dog-walker.  She knows practically every dog in our town, surely she'd know these two.  Unfortunately she wasn't sure who owned the two renegades, but she told me who she thought they might belong too, and she suggested that I call them and ask.

I very reluctantly made the phone call to the one person I didn't want to call, who confirmed that yes, their two dogs were missing. I was so relieved to have found their owner and I offered to bring them to their home, but she insisted that she'd have her husband come to get the dogs. I told her I wouldn't be there, so he could come anytime.  Our conversation was brief, to the point, and I was politely thanked for the call and keeping the dogs safe.  And just who was the owner of the two dogs I now had in my yard that had caused chaos to break out in my house, me to be late for work, and who'd gotten my clothes dirty by jumping and slobbering on me and who'd eaten my breakfast?  The owner was no one other than my former dog-walker -- You may recall that I had to fire her last fall after she was arrested for stealing prescription medications from (other) client's homes. What are the odds of that?  Do I live in a small town or what?

20 comments:

  1. What a chaotic morning Kim, and I knew immediately, being the kind lady you are, you would try and rescue both the dogs from danger ;)
    Well done, I wouldn't have been able to drive down the road, and see those two sweeties in my rear-view mirror, without carrying a lot of guilt.
    Happy to know they were returned to their owner, I hope they are not allowed to roam free again.
    You are a true animal-lover and I love you for it.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, dear. but glad you reunited them to the proper place! hope she can keep them safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm glad they were kept safe, but I just have no words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A professional dog walker misplaced her own dogs. Wow, man. That's far out and groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if they were actually her dogs or ones she was caring for?

    You did good, sorry about your breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes Kim! That was a really rough morning...I am glad that the dogs are safe...but that sure must have been a tough call to make! Hope things calm down for you!! You really are an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad the dogs were safe and the puppy did not get hit by a car.. Kim, I am so happy you came to their rescue... Their owner should take better care of them.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least it was a happy ending in that the dogs were safe and were returned home. Thanks for stopping and caring for these two. You probably saved their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, what are the odds!...but at least you saved the dogs from being hurt or worse. They look so sweet too, I bet your crew would have liked them had they got to really meet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It tells me that you were right in firing her. Not only were the dogs loose but they had no ID. I wouldn't trust her with my dogs.

    Well done on your part. They are worth the time and mess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a morning! Glad it all ended well.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet dogs, I hope she came and got them and is taking good care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad all finished well for the pups, no matter how things work out you should be very proud to go so far to take care of some lose pups that might not have worked out well for them.

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you just hate it when things go so wrong even when you are organized and doing everything right? Glad the morning ended well, and glad you don't still have that dog walker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh No!!! AND Carl's away too. Why does it ALL happen when you're alone??? That was so nice of you. I do hope those beautiful pups are OK!! I don't like the sound of their owners too much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, what a coincident. How funny and yes what are the odds of it being your ex dog walker. Atleast the dogs are back with their owner. I hope she is taking good care of them and puts atleast a chip on them incase their is a next time. You are so sweet and nice to have done this. TFS> ana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Kim, that really is crazy. What are the odds. Sure hope she takes better care of her dogs, they are both so cute. You are really such a Angel, thank you for caring, Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We came knocking on your door to see if your home
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Y'all!

    Sometimes things just work out that way...no matter the size of the town. Small town yes, but we live in 2 different towns and both are so small, we don't even know what a dog walker is! or a dog park for that matter.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!