Sunday, September 21, 2014

Mysteries Solved and Unsolved

This weekend saw the bombardment of my insect nemesis, the dreaded brown marmorated stink-bug. They are crawling, flying and landing on everything. Right now our front porch is covered with 100's that are trying to get inside and find a place to winter over.  Unfortunately it's going to be this way until the colder weather comes.
~My insect nemesis~
I received all the medical records and other information on our newest permanent addition, the lovely Ms. Yellow. When she came to us six months ago, unlike it is with foster-dogs, I was told very little about her. I knew that she got along with dogs, and had been in another (foster) home that couldn't keep her. Ms. Yellow was treated for chronic ear infections which was thought to be food related.  This is why she's fed a premium dry food. Now that we have adopted her, we are privy to all her secrets. The lovely Ms. Yellow was found as a stray during Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. The person that found her, named her, and took her to the vet for her ears.  The vet found a spay scar and estimated her to be about 2 years old.  The ear infections weren't getting any better and the new owner was unable to pay for the extensive treatment that was being recommended, so she told the vet she was going to take her to the pound. The vet's office contacted the rescue Ms. Yellow came from, and the rest is history.  Ms.Yellow has traveled well over 100 miles to end up here...at Golden Pines...in a group home of dogs. She really does seem okay with that.
Speaking of the 'group home,' with the loss of CarrieAnne, a few of you have asked who our new pack leader is.  The answer to that is as much as mystery as Ms.Yellow used to be. I can see the behavior and the dynamics of all the dogs is changing both in how they are interacting with one another and with us. I don't know who it will be, but I know who it won't be, and that's Josh, even though he's been here longer than any of the other dogs.  It also won't be Todd, and it won't be Gus, Beau or Cricket. Right now my money is on, believe it or not, Sunny.  He has the respect of the other dogs, they all like him, and they're taking cues from him. So, we'll see.  Stay tuned!
~Sunny who wasn't happy about having his picture taken~
I hope you've had a good weekend!
~Sheba~

30 comments:

  1. sweet golden faces. and ms. yellow, too, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about those stink bugs. Ms. Yellow sure is lucky to have landed in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck the dreaded stink bug. All I can say is get a broom.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those nasty stink bugs!!! I remember how they come to your house year after year!!! And next month we will have the same issue with the Aisian lady bugs! Trying to get into the house,, I guess at least the lady bugs aren't quite as smelly as your stink bugs.
    Were so happy Ms Yellow,, has settled into Golden Pines, just list the missing piece of a puzzle.. Isn't it wonderful how things come together,, just like Sunny might be stepping up to be the new pack leader. He might even get a little advise from Ms Yellow,,!
    All four of the cats who live here were all dumped here,, and they all think their the pack leader.. Tweedles disagrees with all of them!
    Sunny is sooo Golden,,, and stands like a king!! I think your right!
    And I bet beautiful Sheba and all the rest of the Goldens will vote for him too!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope those nasty stink bugs don't end up down here in,those kind of numbers. We get a few, knock wood, but nothing like you and others have described. Some years we get hoards of Asian Ladybeetles, which I capture and take to the greenhouse. I'm not sure there's a good use for stink bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They'll settle on a leader and it may be a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that Ms. Yellow is with you! Imagine her as pack leader - that would be a hoot!

    Sunny. I remember his arrival. I bet he's come a loooong way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To think, Ms. Yellow was separated from her family during Hurricane Sandy and has ended up with the most wonderful home. Hopefully all of the other orphaned animals have found good homes. But M. Yellow found the best!
    And sweet Sunny came so close to not having a loving family. but thanks to Golden Pines is likely to become the pack leader! How neat is that!
    And, thanks again for sharing CarrieAnne and Lucy's story. So heartwarming. She will be missed.
    Gus' Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing on the news some of the animals being reunited with their owners after the hurricane, and hoped that the ones who'd gotten lost would find their way home. Knowing where she came from has made me wonder if someone was missing Ms. Yellow...

      I also want to thank-you for your always kind comments and for your friendship! Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  9. Ms. Yellow is VERY lucky to have found a wonderful home at Golden Pines!! I am sorry to hear about the stink bug situation...they are terrible!! I sure hope that we do not have another invasion of those horrible Wolf Spiders that we had last year. It was AWFUL!! I keep praying that when we get home...that we are alone!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy to read again about so many Sweetys ,but not about the stink bug! Wish all of you a happy time,
    Ulli

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about the stink bugs! But I'm glad Ms. Yellow is happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm trying to find the positive here, because I'm not happy about the stink-bugs! :-)

      Delete
  12. Darling Ms Yellow, some of our cats who have adopted us, we know nothing at all about their past, just try to make their time now as happy as we can, I can see that Ms Yellow has settled in and is so happy.Pack Leader, will there be a competition, or is it settled happily as one then the other vote for maybe Sunny?? Cheers, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your goldens..Sunny has come along very well. Ms. Yellow is a cutie too. Those stink bugs are awful, we have them here too. YUCK! Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your stories. This world needs more people like you. Ms Yellow is beautiful and lucky to be with you. Thank you! Oh, the stink bugs. We have the small green stink bugs that somehow get in the house for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! YES, we also have the little green ones too, but there are not many, and I wish it were the same with the bigger brown ones.

      Delete
    2. And THANK YOU for your kind words!

      Delete
  15. No tears reading this post. :-) ~ but you did give me the heebie-jeebies with the bug photo! The stink bugs we have here in FL always dive bomb me in the garden - and I have a mop of kinky curly hair that is not something you want to have to extract a stink bug from LOL - hate those things.

    It would seem to me that hurricane Sandy did Ms. Yellow a great service leading her (eventually) to a perfect forever home.

    Your posts are always inspiring and heartfelt. XX - hugs to you dear Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those nasty stink bugs are all over my windows. I thought we had escaped them this year, but last night we came home to find them all over. We had very few last year and I had hoped the bad winter had possibly scared them away. No such luck.

    Lucky Miss Yellow that she has found the perfect home at last.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous; all of them! And Ms. Yellow was "meant to be"...what an adventure for her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love how you love them...
    and yet... you let them be what they are first ... dogs.
    they work out their own world. all the while giving us back their love and trust.
    and as to ms yellow. an odd name for that kitty with the sleepy beautiful face. how wonderful that she's comfortable in her doggy world!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What is it about your area that the stink bugs like?
    I imagine the dogs are confused by CarrieAnne's absence. Jill will be lost when Jack goes over the bridge.
    Ms. Yellow is one lucky cat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, my money's on Sunny! He seems to be a gentle and consistent guy!
    Ms.Yellow has traveled miles and found her perfect home, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank heavens our stinkbugs come singly not in battalions !

    ReplyDelete
  22. It may be Miss Yellow for all you know. I once had a cat named Samantha who ruled over 1 Doberman, 1 German Shepherd, 1 Siberian husky/Malamute cross, 1 hound dog mix, and another cat, named Sindbad. I am mentioning the breeds to show that size had nothing to do with it.It was pretty amazing to watch the dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eek!!!!!!!! Such sweet furry faces, Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's always interesting how dogs change when one leaves. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!