Saturday, August 1, 2015

A New Forever Home for Lexi

~Lexi, the start of her first day at Golden Pines~
You'll all recall how in May we welcomed a lovely dog named Lexi to Golden Pines. She had her ups and downs as we dealt with bouts of her getting sick because what we decided is from a very sensitive stomach.  
~At the Vet and ready to leave!~ 
Once we got that all worked out with a good balanced diet, I had a discussion with the rescue over what the next step would be for Lexi. It was decided to put her up for adoption.  Of course I thought a lot about keeping Lexi and struggled with the decision to let her go to another home.
-June-
But several times I felt that for Lexi, I was her gateway between the shelter and her finding another forever home. Added to my decision was knowing that she is a "star."  Whenever I had her anywhere by herself, people were drawn to her because of her smile, lovely white face and gentle temperament.
Lexi was getting lost at our house because of "stars" like Todd, Charlie and the others.
~Charlie and Lexi in May~
I had several phone calls from perspective adopters from the rescue.  As I checked them off my list for various reasons like one couple who were worried about Lexi getting sick on their carpet, I got a call from a couple that I thought might be a fit.  I took Lexi last Saturday to meet them, and their other two dogs, a 12 year old Golden named Carver and a 14 year old black lab named Marcus.  It was easy to see that this retired couple in their 70's were crazy about Lexi.  Lexi and I shared those feelings. So, yesterday I left work early and met them at a park, so we could make it official.
-On Our Way Yesterday!-
After we signed the adoption contract, Lexi was happy to be put into their truck and all too soon it was time to let go, and say good-bye to her.  When they closed the door to get ready to leave, I felt that old familiar sadness come over me.  But Lexi looked at me, and seemed so relaxed and it was easy to see that confident smile on her face. This "star" that I had the chance to have as part of my life for nearly 3 months, was truly shining.  It's how it should be.
~Lexi, ready to start the next chapter of her new life!~

30 comments:

  1. We're so glad to hear that Lexi has found another forever home and we hope she'll be very happy, but will miss not to see her smiling face in the future. A sad day for you Kim, but we hope that her new family will let you know how she is, and you will share the news with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh she looks so happy! How wonderful to have been with you, loved and nurtured, until she found her new Fur-ever home.

    Well done for helping her to be a star in her new family, you have such a big heart.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's just a sweet beauty. i do hope she will shine and be loved in her new home with 2 older siblings, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough to give them up. It should be easier when the place is a great fit for her. It's much better than being forced to give them up to the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful girl. Hard for you but I'm sure her new family will love her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound like you found a good fit for Lexi, true, you would like to have kept her - I kinda had that feeling anyway - but she'll do fine and you know she's just a phone call away. (So to speak) Have a good life, Lexi! (This is so much better than saying 'good-bye')

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for Lexi but feel kinda sad for Golden Pines losing another star. Hugs Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lexi! Enjoy your new forever home!!

    -Ruby and Otto

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck Lexi - hopefully her new family will provide you with updates Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for you. Sometimes it's hard to let go when you've grown so attached. Her smiles says how much she appreciates all you've done for her. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lexi looks happy . . .
    I feel for you though. It is hard to let go even when we know it is best to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's sad to see her go but it seems you have chosen the perfect new forever home for Lexi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happiness and a huge hole in your heart, all tied up together. She smiles with a radiant glow, and I am sure the older couple will give her all the love she deserves. Rest easy with your decision Kim, hard to say those final words , your heart expands to hold even more love with this all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just look at how happy Lexi is as she is sitting in the car.. I think she is excited about making new friends,,, and yes,,, being the star.
    Your heart feels a little sad to say good bye,, and happy also that she has been chosen to become a part of a family.. And right now,, we know that family with Lexi as a part of it,, is happy..
    Thank you Kim for sharing Lexi and her smiles.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweetheart! I can see why it was hard to let her go, but also that it was the best thing for her. Those smiles warm my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, Kim
    Lexi does look happy. Her face reminds me of my sweet old Goldie Girl and know I have tears rolling down my face. I hope Lexi will be the star in her new forever home.

    Have a happy Sunday and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. cheerful monk said it for me.
    even now i have shining tears of happiness for her.
    and yet more admiration for you... if that's even possible!
    her smile says it all.
    what a love she is. she knew you fell in love with her. and did what was best for her. xoxo♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am soo glad she found a forever home but sad that you had to let her go I dont know if I could of done that I know that sounds selfish doesn't it ? Lovely photos , Thanks for sharing , Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a heart-warming story. I'm so glad Lexi will have such a good home. How wonderful of you to let her go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet. Would love an update if you get one. She looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She looks so happy and we know you picked the very best family for her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're right. She is a star.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay for you and yay for Lexi!! It's because of people like you and Carl that dogs like Lexi get 2nd chances Kim. Thank you for all that you do, you really are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Couldn't help but get a lump in my throat. Good for you Lexi! Thanks for helping these babies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I felt that lump too, but just looking at her smile, I know this was the right thing for Lexi. Kim, I admire you so. It's amazing all the good you do for these wonderful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful. You are a star, Kim. You gave Lexi the best thing in the world, and you were her gateway to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a pretty dog! Thanks for fostering. I'm very involved in rescue and fostering, so I know what a tough job it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just catching up with people's blogs. Good luck to Lexi in her new home, I am sure she will be happy! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. she does look like she will settle in no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!