Thursday, October 8, 2015

Destinations

Clouds, heavy rain and fog followed me almost the whole way to Kentucky last Friday.
I made good time despite the weather and arrived on time at the place I was staying.  As you know, my family home has been sold.  And since my brother's apartment is too small, instead of staying at a hotel, I opted to try something different, and used Airbnb at the recommendation of some friends. (Airbnb is a website for people to list, find, and rent lodging in something like 190 countries.)  In my reading about it, I found there are a lot of pros and cons to the whole thing, but it worked perfectly for me. I really felt like I was staying at the home of friends -- The homeowners, a retired dentist and school teacher, were people I had a lot in common with and I could not have felt more welcome!  I felt so lucky to have found such a lovely place to stay and hope to stay there again on my next trip to Kentucky.
-My room, with a sitting area and kitchenette was more like a small apartment-
My visit with my brother was a good and productive one. It included a stop by our family home.  It's now for sale by the investor who bought it in April.  He has totally refurbished it, inside and out. It's good to see it looking all brand-new, but it seems a bit lonely, if a house can be that way.
Before going home, there is always a visit to the cemetery. 
On my return trip to Virginia the sun followed me the whole way. I've driven the same way for more than 20 years, and I am not sure what possessed me, boredom maybe, to try another route home.  The other route is about the exact same distance, with less traffic, so what did I have to lose?  The answer is "plenty!"  The other way had its moments of great scenery, but was boring, and seemed to go on forever.  Suffice it to say, lesson learned that sometimes it's better to not take the road less traveled.
I was so glad to get home!  All the dogs had done well while I was gone, thanks to Carl's great care!  I know he was helped in part, by Todd who kept an eye on everything outside.
Buddy is no better or worse, and is scheduled for an ultrasound on Tuesday morning.
Dusty is doing well and I'm happy that he's up and around as much as he is, and seems to feel well.
It is great to be home!  

27 comments:

  1. I'm sure Todd thought he was in charge while you were gone. I know that I think I'm mom's equal.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your room at BnB, very charming.
    Somehow, a familiar road feels 'comfortable' when you see the mile markers you have made in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely few days away. However, there is no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what do they charge for your Airbnb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It varies from place to place -- The hosts where I stayed, charged me about half of what a hotel (like Hampton Inn) would have been, so I thought it was a good deal.

      Delete
    2. And you made new friends-what a deal!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful greeting committee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet babies waiting for mom. :) glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you probably felt so many emotions on your trip.
    Glad your home!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a good trip for you to take, and the airbnb sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your B&B, your words were the best compliment ever, when we had guests, if they said it felt just like being at home, but without doing meals and housework, I knew they were happy and contented. Lovely to know all the family managed well while you were away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home! We have been curious about Airbnb ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your whole trip was a success and there were no surprises for you when you got home. We've wondered about Airbnb as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely place you found to stay. Glad to hear the whole trip was a success and very glad to hear you're bad home safely.
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Y'all!

    So good to have "family time". We have private cemeteries here. Each cemetery is controlled by one or two families. Everyone decorates the graves and on a Sunday, the same each year, a service is held in the cemetery, a minister officiating. Each family contributes to the upkeep. Afterward family branches gather at family homes or churches for a reunion and pot luck meal together. This may be the only time distant family members can get together in person.

    Y'all come on back,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  14. HA!
    little boss todd.
    you can just see it.
    in his whole body language. LOL.
    they didn't dare get sick while you were gone. he wouldn't stand for it!
    coming back home is the best part of traveling.
    but i'm glad you got to spend time again with your brother.
    you know how much that means to me. brothers are pretty special.
    good luck in selling that wonderful home.
    and yes. i think family homes without their family can be lonely. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard other people relate good experiences with airbnb accommodations. Me, I generally prefer the solitude and anonymity of a hotel ... but I admit that there are times when b&b stays have been fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to know you're home safely Kim. The crew look very well cared for, and even Georgie has managed to raise a smile and is really pleased to see you back. What good minders Carl and Todd are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kim, what a sweet cozy room, love it...glad your home safe and sound, nice to always come home. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are back home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure that your family is incredibly happy to have you home too. I hope that Buddy's ultrasound went okay - with no bad surprises. The best news after an ultrasound is no news. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad the AirBandB experience worked out for you! I have a friend who uses it all the time in Europe and she has been so pleased. She usually travels solo and it was worrisome at first, but she has grown to really like it! I am sure it was an emotional trip for you...but glad you were able to visit with your brother and see your family home. I bet everybody was really glad when you got home!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Virginia to Kentucky in the fog and rain . The stuff of dreams ! Glad all went well and that Buddy hasn't had a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kim! I had never heard of Airbnb before... sounds interesting. Love your room! You really did luck out. So you didn't take any of the kids on this trip? I haven't been here for so long... I see new faces. The last sweet face looks like the dog we encountered a couple of days ago during our vet visit. Gracie has never been a fan of black dogs and especially BIG black dogs. We were sitting in the examining room and this huge black dog (that looked like the one on your photo) walked slowly into the room (unleashed) and I thought... uh oh.... but the tech said it was just the vets dog and he knows where the treats are and that's why he came in. Whew! Glad he wasn't there to find trouble. Because if he were, he would have found her. LOL. Glad you made it home safely and had a nice drive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how that brings back memories of when we lived in VA and I headed to Covington...let alone Kentucky! Getting home is always the best part of going away...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Kim, I have heard many good reviews on the Airbnb. I am so happy you had a good experience too. Sounds like a nice visit back home. I love your dogs, they all look well. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!