Saturday, July 22, 2017

The Not So Good News

Hello Blogging Friends!  If you're looking for good news and a feel good post, you may want to move along, there's not much good news for us this week - However my hydrangeas are lovely this year...

It began when I got home from work on Monday. Just as I approached our driveway, a black bear was crossing on the other side towards our house.  In the 10 years we've lived here, I've never seen one, and looking back at it, maybe it was omen of what was to come - Because as the yard came into view, there was Bo, (our Black Lab) laying stretched out in the yard. He'd been fine in the morning, and Carl said there was nothing unusual about his behavior when he let him outside when he got home from work. But now Bo was almost totally non-responsive, and he'd gotten sick. We carried him back inside and put him back onto his bed.  He wanted nothing to drink or eat.  It was a mostly sleepless night with his vomiting several times. At the vet on Tuesday morning blood work showed some anomalies, and x-rays showed a  mass in his abdomen. More tests would be more conclusive but the diagnosis of cancer will not change.

Our vet, Dr. K recommended Bo be sent to the Rainbow Bridge that day, telling me that there was nothing that could be done.  I wasn't ready to make that decision for him, and so I opted to wait, hoping that with medications, he'd feel better, and it would give us, especially me, more time.

To add insult to an already injured heart, when I got home on Tuesday, Todd came to me, covered in blood.  All alone outside, we could only conclude that he'd  gone a round or two with something that had gotten into the yard.  Fast forward through an emotional several hours at the Animal ER and all that goes with that, by around 11 o'clock there was the report that he was going to be okay.  There are several puncture wounds and scratches on his neck. The ER vet wanted to put a drain in his neck, but I knew he'd not tolerate that. So, we opted for my being able to keep it clean and covered.  We tumbled into bed in the early morning hours and I was glad the dogs let me sleep in until around 10 o'clock.
~Todd - The day after~
Wednesday was supposed to be my catch-up day, but since they say things come in 3's, there had to be one more thing added to our plates, right?   This time it was me.  I will spare you all the details, and just say that when you're at a doctor appointment and he says to you, "I think this needs to be taken care of right away," since you're there, you probably should, so I had a "little surgery" Nothing worth telling about, and I'm fine (really!).

The anesthetic and change of focus was like a restart for Thursday and I was alert enough to see the intruder, Punxsutawney Phil Junior run across the yard and disappear behind some flowers by the barn that borders the inside of the yard. We found the hole it had dug, filled it in, and covered it up - And as the picture below shows, it found its way out on the other side.

As we rounded the corner to Friday, Bo was more like himself.  His appetite has mostly returned, and he's alert, taking treats, etc.  I'd say he's at about 85%.  We will take each day as it comes, and as we always do, we will let him set his own pace.
Todd, is back on patrol.
He'll return to the vet this morning for a recheck of his wounds.
Life somehow goes on at Golden Pines.

34 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes life just throws a few too many punches in a short span of time. So glad everyone is okay. Todd's wounds look like something with pretty big teeth got ahold of him. You might want to add a bigger protection dog to your pack. Not to take away from Todd's fierceness, of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, you poor thing! I would be prostrate from the stress at this point.
    But - it looks like the crises have passed and everyone has come out other side in stable condition, so take a breath and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, now that is too much bad news. I am glad Bo is feeling a little better. Todd's injuries look awful, poor pup! I hope you are ok now too. I also hope the black bear has moved on. I hope everyone is recovering, sending my get well wishes for you all. Take care and have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure had a tough week. We have our paws crossed for Todd and Bo. It's good to hear that you are doing well after your little procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Sending lots of prayers and hugs that the sunshine will return to your life and things will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Sending lots of prayers and hugs that the sunshine will return to your life and things will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lordy, if it isn't one thing, it's three. (Heavy sigh) Good to hear Bo has given himself a reprieve. He is such a love. Todd's wounds look painful. I hope he heals quickly. I do hope you are taking care of yourself. Isn't it about time for a vacation?
    Wishing all of you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that life goes on there, with the complete cast of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD. Dat is way too much excitement/stress going on dar.
    Sending ya'll some healing paw prayers.
    Wags,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are one strong woman...!! (that's the first thing that comes to mind). I admire your strength!!! So glad to see all are on the mend now. Once in a while I get people in my office who are fosters for dogs of one breed or another... and I always have to brag on my bloggy-friend Kim. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness - that is a bit much to handle all in a few days time. Glad that Bo has perked up and Todd is hopefully healing well as are you from your "little surgery"
    sending lots of pug hugs for all
    Hazel, Mabel & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Todd really got it good this time. Hoping he and Bo will be well soon. Sad when the vet wants to make a decision on the spot. It isn't one that gets made that easily thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG ! you poor thing what a rotten week for you all . I am soo glad you all are ok though and recovering ,WOW ! How scary for you all . Sending lots of hugs to you all from Miggs and I !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, not sure why, hit publish and pffft . . . nothing there.
    If it went through to you, delete this one.

    Oh my goodness sakes, what a week!
    Hope Bo continues to do okay and that you didn't heed the vet's advice.
    Happy Todd is okay too.
    Wonder what he tussled with.
    And you, I hope you are okay with the,
    "must take care of right away!"
    Any more BEAR sightings!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The days do continue, even when we so desperately want a reprieve. Bo, he is so loved, and if he remains as good as he is now, even for a while, he is right now exactly where he should be, with so much TLC, right decisions and wonderful company. And as for Todd, will he learn not to tangle or tango with a stranger. And your DR, I too have heard those words, hope you are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been a rough week. Hopefully, your THREE incidents are over for awhile. I've awakened three mornings in a row to a kitchen full of diarrhoea. Bella is now fasting..I should have started it sooner. Just hope it's the only three and the other two don't get it! Hope you have a calm week. Wonder what Todd found?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was an unpleasant trio of events, but good to hear there is some recovery going on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh dear, I was holding my breath as I read through the first few sentences, and was relieved to know that Bo is making progress, and hopefully a full recovery.
    Poor Todd, do you think it was a groundhog that attacked him, either way, he's lucky to get away with the injuries he has and hopefully he makes a quick recovery.
    Lots of TLC and I'm convinced he'll get that.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, it never rains but it pours. We are so sorry about Bo, but you did the right thing. We know that you know when the right time is here. Bo is so lucky to have found his way to your home. And poor Todd, do you think it was that groundhog that he had his run in with? We hope he heals well and quickly.

    Hugs and Woos - Lightning and Misty

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a traumatic week you've had Kim, I do hope that you are all feeling much better. It sounds as though Bo has made a very good recovery, and Todd is back to normal if he's patrolling the fences again. We hope you, too, Kim are feeling well enough to cope, after your recent surgery, with everything that's been happening.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, we've had those days and I feel exhausted just reading about yours. I hope that Todd heals well, but I know you're anxious about the future because he won't back down. As for Bo, you know he'll tell you when he's ready to go and I know you'll listen. With my pack aging, I feel some of the same stress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i've never seen your instincts fail.
    bless you dear heart.
    i really have no words for what you go through.
    as they say... you have the strength of ten thousand! you knew beloved bo needed his share of more time.
    and your little todd too brave for his own good!
    love
    tam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Luckily you were gifted with not only grace and kindness but with strength. You're right these things always come in threes ! Rapid healing for one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear what a stressful week you have had, my heart goes out to you all, love and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My heart goes out to all of you. May you and Todd both heal quickly and may Bo have many good days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  26. *HUGS* Whatever it was, I am glad that Todd is okay.
    God bless and heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I sure am glad that Todd is ok...and Bo is holding his own...now I hope you are feeling better from your procedure too. I am so sorry you are going through all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. awww.. sorry that it's been such a yucky week. I'm glad that todd is ok and back on patrol. hope that this next week is a better one and the Bo keeps hanging in.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry you had a sucky week Kim. I think it must have been in the air because mine sucked too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Geez, Louise! When it rains it pours! It sounds like the end of the week was relatively much better. So glad you are doing okay now. Certainly what you didn't need in a difficult week.
    You obviously made the right decision for Bo. Sweet boy, I know he is getting lots of love right now.
    And little Todd, so tough. He seems to be healing, thankfully.
    Goodness gracious, I certainly hope you had a more relaxing day today and all of your babies are doing well.
    Your hydrangeas are beautiful, one of my most favorite flowerers.
    Sending everyone hugs and extra hugs.
    Gus' Mom

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMD, you've certainly been through it!!! Sending you ALL lots of luffs and hugs. Wishing you a more relaxing happy week this week
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hope Bo is, as okay as he can be, considering - glad you have him a little longer.

    As for Todd, well I couldn't hardly believe those puncture wounds on him...poor little chap. Or not so poor, as he is such a tough little man. Protecting his garden and all within it. Hope the wounds are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Here's hoping for better days to come. And that the worst is behind you. Sending thoughts from NC.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!