Thursday, September 21, 2017

Not a Match for Max

Has it been a week already?  However many days it has been, its been enough for our newest addition, Bailey to get totally settled in.  She did great adjusting to her new schedule. And, even though she was a little nervous at the vet, Bailey charmed everyone there.

I got a phone call from a "perspective adopter" interested in meeting Max.  Despite that I didn't get a good vibe from perspective adopter, I overlooked it because on paper, perspective adopter seemed perfect.  So, we arranged a time to meet.
 We got to the park on time and we waited.............And we waited...
When we finally met, Max, who likes everyone, wanted nothing to do with perspective adopter.  I let them go for a walk together alone, but Max only wanted to come back to me. From a distance I watched the two together, and I just didn't feel like they were connecting.  The rest of our nearly 2 hour visit fell flat. When we parted, I told her we'd talk in a couple of days. But I decided to not wait and I let her know that evening that I felt that she and Max were not a match. I never heard back from prospective adopter, so I'm not sure if she agreed or not.  If she did or didn't, it was my choice to make.

So, onward through the week we've gone.  This little intruder found its way into our garage. I was so sure it was poisonous and its sole mission was to kill me and the dogs.  I was insisting that Carl "make it dead" but he refused and scooped it up and tossed it into the neighboring field.  It turned out to be a (non-poisonous) baby rat-snake, so I guess that was okay.
It was also okay that the rest of the week was quiet and uneventful.
That just doesn't seem possible with Todd around. 

22 comments:

  1. Seems Max made his choice. We're sure there is someone out there who is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are to be admired for being so protective of all the dogs' future lives. It is wonderful to know that when Max and the others find their permanent homes it will be a perfect fit and not a quick fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creatures that may appear scary aren't always dangerous. Here, in Arizona, we have rattlesnakes and many peeps are scared of our tarantulas but they're harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kim, you make me smile! You are so intuitive... and I'm soooo grateful for that. From one animal lover to another, my dear, you rock!! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that Max has yet to find his perfect forever home -he's such a darling. Perhaps he really wants to stay with you and the crew at Golden Pines - and who can blame him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure your gut was right about Max and the perspective adopter. I would want the snake 'deaded' too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad it did not work out, but sometimes things don't click. I am sure that beautiful Max will find the right forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what's best for Max and if the right new owner comes along you will see it in the way they interact. We are lucky to not have any poisonous snakes around here but they still make me jump 5 feet if I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A quiet and uneventful week is a good week:) That is too bad about Max's non-match, but you know those dogs best. If and when the right person comes along, you will know. And if not, then Max is very happy right where he is.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dogs are excellent judges of character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel that max has already found his forever home but nobody seems to know it but him. or so he must think.
    and I agree with angus. spot on. but I think you are not far from there yourself. an excellent judge of character. you've practiced too many years not to be!xo♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Max may be smarter than you give him credit for. He knows he has it made with you and he knows what happens when those visitors come ...
    What did Todd think of the snake?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Max let you know and you made the right decision!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Max is so adorable. He is smart too, he knows who he wants to stay with. I do not blame him, he has a happy home. I am glad the snake was not poisonous. They are good to have around to control the mice. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe you were right to trust your instincts. I'm also voting for sweet Max to stay right where he is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad all is going well in spite of the "prospective adopter".
    Being late to an important appointment is never a good sign.

    You all have a blessed weekend, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "When we know, we know . . . "
    Not a fit for Max . . .
    I can tell from the pic.

    Happy Bailey is settling in smoothly!

    I wish Carl had tossed the snake further!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When a friendly and affectionate dog doesn't take to someone - that speaks volumes...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stick to the vibes you have gotten. Max is such a cutie and he deserves to be in the right situation.
    Great news about Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Given a chance, animals are quite aware of what humans will and won't be for them. This is why, when I've been on the lookout for a new cat, I have no preconceptions and go to the shelter and see who seems to be interested in me. And the cats I've adopted from there have been absolutely lovely and wonderful company. They know, if we don't.

    I'm glad the snake is okay. I hope it eats lots of rodents that won't get into your house because it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whew, thank you for looking out for Max! He is very lucky to have you! Also, Todd, you look very cute with your Ball!

    Licks and wags,
    Cobi

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad that you got to make the best choice for Max. I bet that you've become very fond of him, and obviously he feels the same about you. I admire so much how you help dogs like Max and have such loving bonds with them.

    I'd have been terrified of that snake too!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!