Saturday, December 28, 2019

Crossing the Finish Line!

Happy post Christmas, blogging friends! How have your holidays been?  I don't know about you, but I ended up running around like a lunatic trying to get everything done. And yesterday, two days after Christmas, I finally got the last of my cards sent. Today two gifts go in the mail for my brothers and their families, and I will officially hobble across the Christmas-finish line. Hurray for me!
I have thought about my blog every single day since I last posted and really wanted to keep it up to date. But that just didn't happen. **Stephanie, thank-you for thinking of us and asking if we were okay!!** 
Last Saturday a friend and I were off to a matinee at the Kennedy Center to see the play, "Come From Away," which tells the true story of 7,000 passengers, who were on their way to different parts of America when the tragedy of 9/11 struck. As the American air space closed, 38 planes were grounded in the Newfoundland community of Gander, a town with only five hundred hotel rooms. My friend and I both loved it, and if you ever get the chance to see it, I highly recommend it!
~Hall of Nations - Kennedy Center~
Back at home, the Barkalot Brothers are still doing what they do best, barking. Abe returned to the vet for yet another glucose curve test, which he failed again. We've tweaked his insulin dose and food again, and next week, he'll go back for another test.
~Abe~
The Foster Home Coordinator has spoken to their previous owner, and the decision has been made to return Abe and George to him. However, the coordinator is adamant about not returning the two until Abe's medication is at its proper dose. This hasn't made *Paul* happy. And while I'll admit that I'm ready for them to leave us, I support the coordinators decision to keep them for a bit longer.
~George, left -- Abe, right~
Moving onto our only girl Sophie. Her appetite is off, and she's been coughing a bit more than I'd like and she's breathing pretty heavily at times too.  Sophie is due to return to the vet in January. I just hope this isn't a sign of the progression of the laryngeal paralysis, or the return of the thyroid cancer she was treated for before she came to us.
~The lovely Sophie~
The rest of our cast of characters are doing pretty well. Knock on wood of course. They're in pretty good spirits too.
~Max~
Well, Todd wasn't for about 5 minutes when he had to do another quick photo shoot for me. 
Another blogger calls these pictures, "The Hat Tax." She says it's a tax "for the costs our beloved dogs incur without contributing financially to the household, so several times per year, usually around holidays, they are required to pay the hat tax."  I am totally embracing this tax, and explained all this to Todd. Being a Scottie, and given that there were lots of treats involved, I think he understood, because in less than 5 minutes he was "paid in full" and the photo session ended.   
It was the same for Rhett. Who I think looks dignified no matter what ridiculous thing I put onto him.
And so with that, it's onto the end of the year!
~Outdoor kitty Gino~

22 comments:

  1. Hello, Hugs to all your cute furbabies. Cute photo shoot. I hope all goes well for Abe, George and Sophie. I wish you and your family all the best in 2020, Happy New Year! Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, we will be thinking about Sophie and hoping there is no bad news. ♥
    The boys are adorable paying their "hat tax"!
    I just had my last Christmas party yesterday, and I am definitely ready to be done with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up this morning wondering about George and Abe. I'm glad you posted so I can get on with the day. I'm sure you have some mixed feelings about them going back to their previous home. I do too. Anyway, onward to whatever the next year throws at us. Happy New Year, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a good plan for the bark-a-lot brothers. Our pups are lucky they don't have to pay the hat tax. It was tried a few times and was never successful. Rhett does look handsome even with the light bulbs on his head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a joyous post. hectic for you. joyous for us reading about it. love the pictures! have a wonderful new year dear bean! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. A blessed New Year to you all, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy almost New Year!
    Glad to see the hat tax being used other places! A small thing that brings so much joy!

    We loved Come from away. It is so Canadian. How did you do with the Newfoundland accents and language? We Canadians can struggle with it.

    Wishing you all a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Todd, look at it this way. You just had four bright ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had heard a review about Come from Away. Naturally, it was a story that I hadn't heard before....got lost in all the drama. Would like to see it. Looks like Todd is good to go until about Easter? POTP for Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy the world is righting for you. Seems when "mama" is ill the whole world is off for everyone! Be well, and know that either decision made for the brothers will be OK. I'm done with worrying for this year and next!
    You can borrow my new theme song: It's Gonna Be A Bright, Bright, Bright Sunshiny Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wondering about the Barkalot brothers. I hope that Abe's insulin dose gets figured out. I really hope that the future holds good things for them.

    I love the hat tax ;) What a funny series of photos.

    Sending POTP to Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a family of love . . . care too!
    I like the “hat tax” pics and idea!
    What fun!
    Happy New Year Kim . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay . . .
    Publishing worked!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is to a New Year! Hope you can get the insulin dosage worked out for Abe and the Bark a Lot brothers can go home. Love the hat pictres
    hugs
    Mabel & Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to see you post, I was hoping everything was okay. Happy New Year and may it be filled with happy and healthy people and pups (and cats). Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very Happy New Year to you all at Golden Pines, Kim.
    May everything go well for the Barkalot boys and Sophie, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A happy, happy New Year to ALL at Golden Pines!! Lovely Sophie, indeed and I'm hoping all is well. She reminds me so much of our sweet Millie. No doubt Paul is disappointed but should remember it is in the Boys' best interest to wait a bit longer. Oh Todd is the very picture of tolerance and yes, Rhett never loses his dignity. Thank you for all you share, dear Kim; it all means more than words can say.

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.S. Oh my, your "thank you" has more than made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Happy holidays, friends! We are glad you are warm and safe and loved and well cared for this holiday season! You and I are the lucky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wishing you and yours (Human and Furry) a very happy and healthy New Year.
    Love the Hat Tax!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Todd's expression totally reflects his indignity at the hat tax. Hope things quiet down for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!