Thursday, March 26, 2020

A Sad Farewell to Rhett

While the world is practicing social distancing, yesterday, my precious and beloved Rhett was sent to the Rainbow Bridge.

I will tell the story of the unexpected events that took Rhett from us in my next post. Today, I just want to post a small tribute to a dog whose big personality eclipsed Todd's, but only in the way that a Golden Retriever can.
~Rhett, on the day we met in September 2017~
Despite having several homes before he came to us, Rhett's spirit and spark never dimmed. He was confident, affectionate, happy, mischievous, and those were just a few of his qualities. And of course I can't forget to mention that he was also very photogenic, independent and he could be pretty stubborn at times.
I loved Rhett's "intense" expressions that he had when he wanted something.
Of course I always let him have his way - How could I not?
I fell in love with Rhett the first day I met him in September of 2017. There was something so familiar and comfortable about him. All the dogs liked him right away as well. His easy going nature made it obvious that he thought that life was a fun adventure, and he was always ready for what came next.
This may go a long way in explaining why he was such a good escape artist. I will never forget on our first day together, how I turned around several times after thinking I'd confined him, only to see him standing behind me with the other dogs. Or the time he managed to get out of the breakroom at the office where I work, and was halfway down the steps before I caught up to him. His eagerness for a fun game, more times than I can count, had a way of making me forget my troubles.
I will always treasure the 908 days we had Rhett in our lives. Through the heartache, the tears, and the swollen eyes from crying, losing him at this moment feels unbearable. I am going to miss having Rhett as part of my life. Walks won't be the same. Rides in the car won't be as much fun.  Mealtimes will be quieter.  Life will be quieter. And I know it goes without saying that despite how I'm feeling, without a doubt, I would do it all over again. To be loved and love a dog like Rhett was a priceless gift.

Thank you, Rhett for finding your way to us and being a “once-in-a-lifetime” and to us, a perfect dog.


29 comments:

  1. Rhett, there would be a chorus of welcome barks as you arrived, and huge amounts of tears down on the ground. You will always be in hearts and memories, and love to you Kim, as you wrote these words with such sadness and loss. Each one has that special place in your home, and the gap Rhett has left will be huge. So much love flying North amide the Covid 19 crisis everywhere. And my words are really totally inadequate for you, but hope in some way they say what I feel as , another who has lost a beloved cat or dog.XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super dog to have had in your life, those days were so sweet because of him. Your post is so eloquent the way you describe him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so sorry to hear about Rhett. You wrote a beautiful tribute and we can see by the pictures that he loved being with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs. Sounds like a true treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, we are so sorry for your loss but so happy that Rhett got to spend his last days with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww Kim.... I'm so so sorry to hear about Rhett. What a sweetheart of a dog he was. His spirit is still with you and always will be. You were both lucky to have each other. They never EVER live long enough. My love & prayers~ Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a character....he'll be missed. So Sorry to hear about him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, So sorry to hear about Rhett passing. He will be missed, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. I came to love Rhett too. Free his pictures I could see his patient and playful character. We lost our sweet little Lola yesterday. Perhaps she and Rhett are traveling together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're so sad to hear about your beloved doggie Rhett. We know the feeling of losing such a wonderful pup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss. what a beautiful pup. We will miss seeing him in your posts. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deep sorrow we all feel for you at this time. We have all been here and it never gets any easier. You wrote beautiful words about your fur baby. All his pictures were full of love for you and his life. Very sorry.❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is always sadder when there is not music for car rides, dinner time and walks. I am sorry for your loss. Just know you have a lot of us out there sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so very sorry to read these words. He was truly special and knew to the end how loved he was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, my heart goes out to you. But as always, you gave a wonderful pup the very best love and care, and a happy life. Rhett was such a special boy and will be sorely missed by us all, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The charming, irrepressible Rhett will live in your heart, your memories, photos, and in conversations with those who were lucky enough to live with him, too. Love is forever.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Rhett. Our hearts and paws are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You gave him the best years of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Virtual hugs. Sad news. Goodbye, handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry, Kim. He had the best love and home for these past two + years and how wonderful that he ended up in your care.

    ReplyDelete
  21. literally... NO words I could every say are as beautiful and heartfelt as the ones you've shared here... for ONE beautiful dog. both inside and outside.
    goodbye Rhett. you were a beloved soul.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So so sorry that Rhett had to leave for the bridge, so thankful his last years were spent with you. We will all miss him
    love
    Mabel, Hilda & mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. His golden years were filled with so much love. May the love you shared help you through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing that no matter how much we love dogs, there are some that we just automatically bond with. So sorry about Rhett. I know how special he was and you will miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kim, I can't express how sad I am to know that Rhett has gone on ahead. He's always been one of my favorites among all your sweethearts. His wonderful personality shone through his pictures. I know everyone is very special at Golden Pines, but I also know that Rhett was extra special. I will miss him, dear heart.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sad, sad, sad for you now yet so happy you and
    Rhett met up and shared happy times together.
    May God bless you in these moments of sorrow
    with sweet memories of love and joy.
    It was a match!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was hoping you would post as I was wondering how things were going, but so sorry to hear it is with such sad news. What a beautiful boy he was. I am so sorry. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are so so sorry to hear this news. We shouldn't have pack favourites but we do. Some dogs are just that little bit 'special'. They are usually the ones who look you full in the eye and who mysteriously appear whenever you have a biscuit in your hand. You have looked after him and now he's run ahead. It's the way of the world. Stay strong !

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so, so sorry for your loss, Kim. I wish words could make it better. Each and every photo and story you shared shows what a special and happy boy Rhett was, and it's obvious how sorely he is going to be missed. Sending virtual hugs. ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!