Sunday, May 24, 2020

Who Do YOU LIKE for Leo?

One the things that has kept me busy the last two weekends is meeting families for our foster boy Leo. Yes, of course, there was the thought about keeping him for ourselves. But I just feel that we are once again, the gateway to get dogs like Leo to where they are supposed to be. 

Of course, there was a lot of interest in Leo. But I was able to narrow it down to 4 families that I thought could possibly be a match for him. I've now met them all. Two family's we met last weekend in the backyard of a friend who was kind enough to let us use it while they were out of town.

Below is a summary that comes along with a home visit report from the adoption coordinator for the rescue, and I've added how our visits went.

So, tell me, who do YOU LIKE for Leo? 

Family #1
Summary: A 70 year old gentleman that lives in a fenced house. He is semi-retired and rarely gone long hours. He has had three previous Goldens; one is a 4 yr old NM who lives with his ex and the other two have since passed at ages 12 and 14. He has a large collection of valuable art, some plants, slippery floors and bare stairs. He recently had knee surgery. He likes to visit with his neighbors and their dogs and use dog parks. His son will help with any walks.

THE VISIT:  Leo liked the man "okay" but clearly liked his son who came along with him, better. *HE* and his son took Leo for a walk.  HE was concerned about Leo's walking on a leash, because Leo doesn't heal, and *HE* was concerned about possibly tripping over Leo. He had brought with him a couple of toys and a bag of treats for Leo. He also showed me 2 pronged collars that he'd used on his other dogs to help them to learn to walk easily on a leash.

Family #2
Summary: A family with 2 children (girls) 7 and 9. Live in an unfenced house that backs to woods. They are thinking about getting an electric fence and it appears that they think that will contain a dog unsupervised, please check. They work from home and are rarely gone long hours. This will be their first dog and they want one that's smaller. Their cat hissed and growled at the volunteers dog. There were lots of toys and the kids were overly excited. There are slippery floors and the dog will not be allowed on the furniture.

THE VISIT: Went pretty well.  The younger girl tried to "ride" Leo like a horse. But he didn't mind and loved their attention.  This scenario is closely to what Leo knew before. They are very nice, open to advice because they don't know much about dogs.They felt that Leo would be okay to be taken out just 3 times, and the MOM was concerned about his hair, and mentioned giving him a good summer haircut.

Family #3  - I was not able to snap a photo of them walking Leo

Summary: Live in an unfenced house. There is a catchment pond through the woods. *SHE* is a homemaker and *HE* is currently working from home so their dog would rarely be alone long hours. They are previous adopters of *** who passed at age 13. Their daughters high-energy 7 yr old Border Collie is a frequent visitor. In the past they have had other Rescued Goldens that they have moved overseas and back with. The main level is hardwood floors with area rugs.

THE VISIT: Leo warmed up to them the longer we were together. At first, he kept coming back to me, but I really think it was because he was confused about why we were at a park. They were very easy to talk to, very relatable, and clearly their dogs are part of the family. I'll remind you that Leo has a storm phobia, that he takes medication for when the storms approach. They've dealt with storm issues and countersurfer's like Leo.

FINALLY FAMILY #4
Summary: Retired Couple, both 67 years old. Unfenced house on lakefront property. Both are retired and rarely gone long hours.They do not allow their dogs in the bedroom so he or she will need to sleep on the main floor. They have had three previous Goldens, all of whom have since passed away at ages 8, 9, 14. They have Grandkids and Granddogs that visit, plants, and slippery floors.

THE VISIT: Also went well. Leo liked them, but they also didn't like how Leo pulls on a leash when walked. As you read above, Leo wouldn't be allowed everywhere in the house. They think that his storm phobia can be managed by taking a more analytical approach to it. And in talking to them, I think they do this with their dogs. They said this in an e-mail to me last evening, "Regarding storms, his fear is probably more basic. We would need to provide the feeling of a safe haven and help him when he's fearful."  For the record, in what I've read about Leo, it's not basic. His previous family indicated that it had been escalating to his being a bit destructive. I think it's important to manage it correctly so that it doesn't get worse.

So, again, who would you pick?  I've already decided against two, and have almost but not quite made up my mind, but I always love to hear your thoughts!

37 comments:

  1. Kim - can't say any of them are top choices - but I would go with #3. No to #1 with pronged collar, no to #2 - want a small dog but looking at a golden? #2 - also worrying about hair and kids riding like horse. #4 - slippery floors for an older Golden - no way. If I were closer - I'd love to add Leo to my 2 girls! Good luck with the decision - but my choice would be none of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Don't like any of them. #3 at least had some rigs; but none of them ring right. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know once can't be too picky with finding homes, but we too aren't sold on any of them. #3 comes the closest to a possibility, but the unfenced yard bothers us a bit. Is it possible to hold on to Leo for a while longer and see if a better fit comes along, or maybe that better fit is right where he is:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not one of them, unfenced, a basic fear of a thunderstorm??? a pronged collar? In my eyes, wait a while for someone else who will come along and you will know THEY are right. Meantime, darling Leo, enjoy every day filled with love and companions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am tepid about all four. Surely a 7 year old should know better than to ride a dog. #1 seems nice enough but I would doubt his ability to exercise Leo even with the son's help.

    I do not see keeping the dogs away from certain parts of the house as a negative. We have never allowed our dogs on furniture and have restricted them from the guest bedrooms. They quickly learned those areas and did not seem to be concerned. In fact, we spent a lot of time on the floor with them. They slept in their crates by choice with the doors open. And they were very happy and well-behaved dogs.

    I'm inclined to agree with the others. Perhaps there is a better home for Leo, although there does not seem to be hard evidence that would eliminate these four candidates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take the one behind door number three. It's hard when you can't see the peeps interact with Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, you have an excellent judge of character there. Whom does Todd like?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not one of those homes are for worthy of Leo, and pronged collars should be outlawed. If someone needs such a thing to train a dog then they should not have a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so pleased to read that everyone thinks the same way that I do! I don't think any of them are suitable candidates - each one has what I would term issues - even if it only amounts to slippery floors or unfenced gardens, and no way would I even consider anyone who would use a pronged collar! And as for letting a seven year old "ride" poor Leo! But perhaps that could be put down to excitement.
    Personally I think that Leo is in the right home, where he is now, but I know that you want to do your best for him, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, not have a fenced yard is scary to me. In the end did Leo prefer one over the others? It is a hard decision. Good luck! I hope Leo is happy wherever he is.
    Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. None, no one is a true dog family. Let Leo stay with you if you can. I would worry about Leo with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, to all of them. Slippery floors are big no in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would not pick any of them. Not one of them fit with him.
    I pick you. You are the RIGHT CHOICE for him. Please keep him‼️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the previous comments that none of them is a really good fit. If I had to choose from one of these families I would pick #3 but I think Leo is better off where he currently is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. None of them. Keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't feel good about any of them. I know it's a lot of work to find the right family, so if you need to decide right now, number 3 would be my choice. Poor Kim, this can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Inger. I did not feel good about any of them. You are a good judge so just keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If he absolutely HAS to go to one of them I would say #3 is the lesser of the four "evils". I agree with the others, Leo deserves better than what any of these families have to offer

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel that none would make a good match. A lot of issues with them all. If you have to make a choice now I would go with your best feeling. I really feel you should keep looking and keep Leo with you at present. Very tough choices.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keep looking! The "perfect" family might just be the next one you see! It would be terrible for him to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Families 1,2,4.... NOPE!!! Family 3 only if I had to pick one out of the four. Otherwise I'd keep looking. That's just me... but because you asked.... *hugs* Love you Kim!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not one of them would meet my requirements. PLEASE wait for the perfect fit or perhaps reconsider keeping him yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kim, I've dealt with many rescues in my lifetime and I would feel uneasy giving Leo to any of these families. So my vote would be YOU. He seems the most comfortable with you and you already know what he needs the most.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think family number three with the people being home, easy going and consider dogs are part of the family even moving across the sea and taking the dog or dogs with them shows a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. None of them!
    For all the reasons listed above.


    ReplyDelete
  26. #3 is the only one I would consider. Wow, what a tough thing to do! Best of luck to Leo, and I know you will only do what seems best for him. ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  27. We never allowed dogs in the bedroom but the last male PON finally trained us. I kinda like the idea of a safe haven in a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The only family I could possible consider would be family 3. Number 1 and 2 I would never adopt any dog to. Prong collars and electric fences are cruel. Plus family 2 let the kid ride the dog like a horse, that is abusive. Good way to get a kid bitten and the dog end up dead. I really don't think any of these are the right family. I would keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Before reading anyone elses thoughts . I would say number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Based on the information you provided, I would choose family #3.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 3 if you have to, but wait if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  32. #3. But, I just wonder if he wouldn't be better in a home without kids but with adult(s) who are able to give him exercise. I have no idea about Leo and kids so I could be totally off base.

    ReplyDelete
  33. After 30 years in rescue, I would say none of them. If those were my only options, I would keep him where he's comfortable and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  34. None of the above. Try again.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!