Friday, April 30, 2021

Good-Bye to Sophie - We'll See You Then....

~A favorite photo of Sophie from last year~

Wednesday began early. It was a big day where Cooper was to be alone for most of it, crated, because no one could be home with him. Our dog-walker was going to come at about noon, so I'd get an update at work on how he was doing. I'd given him his anxiety medication, and I was just praying it would work.  

It was about 5:30 and Carl had just left for work, when Sophie came into the office, and peed on the floor. Very unusual for her and I scolded her just a little and I got her moving towards the backdoor and outside. We made it as far as the kitchen when she collapsed onto the floor, losing control of her bowels. A flurry of my trying to revive her, when she suddenly let out this big sound, as she began breathing again as her color returned. We sat there for several minutes and it was a huge relief when she finally put her head up and looked at me, and even wagging her tail when I talked to her. 

~Sophie on the day we met in September 2019~

I knew of course that Sophie would need to be seen by a vet. But I felt a car ride at that moment may not be a good idea, because I thought she needed to recover a bit more before I tried taking her anywhere. Thankfully she seemed stable because she was able to walk, she was wagging her tail, and even wanted breakfast -- I gave her a little that I'd ground up in the food processor -- She quickly ate it all and just looked at me, like "where's the rest?" Labs..... 


I was lucky that Sophie's vet clinic had an opening with another vet that I already knew at 10 AM. Once there, I waited outside, trying to have some hope and optimism. A call several minutes later that Sophie's cancer had returned and was now metastasized in her lungs - I'll add here that in the last couple of weeks, Sophie's breathing was changing, and I'd really thought that it was the warmer weather causing her symptoms of laryngeal paralysis to worsen -  There were no other options, the kind thing to do would be to let Sophie go. 

The heartbreaking and unexpected diagnosis was confirmed by Sophie's vet, Dr. S, who is semi-retired and so I did not expect him to be there. But I am grateful that he was because at that moment, and even now, there are no words to express my gratitude for his kindness, compassion, empathy and warmth. 

You may recall that he has been Sophie's vet her entire life. He was truly the connection to Sophie's life before she came to us. Dr. S told me this was because Sophie's mother and her littermates belonged to the previous practice owner, named Dr. Howard, and everyone there at the time, including Dr. S of course, had a hand in helping with the puppies, because Sophie's mom, wasn't exactly the best Mom.... But Sophie's owner, Judy, had been a longtime client and friend to Dr. Howard, and she and Dr. S were/are also personal friends. I had no idea and this was the part of Sophie's story that I'd wondered about. But Dr. S and I both agreed that his being there that day for Sophie was truly a life coming full circle. And finding out later that it was Judy's 92nd birthday yesterday, also said it was. 

~We celebrated Sophie's 14th birthday in January~

Dr. S and I sat there on the floor with Sophie and chatted as if we were old friends. Him telling me stories of Sophie and Judy, and me telling him what her life had been with us. Time stood still in those moments as we both said good-bye to the beautiful Sophie as I continued to silently give thanks for her long life and this good and kind man, that cared for Sophie for her entire life of more than 14 years.

As I left the clinic and walked back to my van, in the spring breeze, the winged seeds (helicopters) produced by maple trees blew past me in the air and I watched them so free in the breeze and I thought of how "free" Sophie now was. And as I drove away, a Barry Manilow song played on the radio. It was one I've never, ever heard before, and now I can't get it out of my head. 

It's called "When the Good Time Come Again." Its words, provided comfort at a moment of sadness.

"I'll see you then

When the good times come again

When you and I have made it back

From the people and the places we have been...

The door that we go out of

Is door that we come in ......

Sometimes we have to hold

To all the good that's been

So I'll see you then

When the good times come again..."


God-speed to our "only girl," Sophie, known to us as Sophia, Sopapilla... I'll miss the wag of your tail, your running into the kitchen for your meal, because as a girl, you were always fed first ~ your sleeping next to the bed, your playing with Todd and even Max, your watchful eye over all that was happening in our house, your canine independence, your friendship, I'll just miss you.  But I hope I'll see you then, when the good times come again. 


Finally, as is our tradition, Sophie's color of the rainbow. I've given her yellow. The color yellow is around everywhere right now, and yellow is the color of friendship.

In the 601 days that Sophie was with us, she was truly a friend to all the dogs, who all loved her, and of course we did too.

~Charlie and Sophie last summer~

32 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss.
    This is such a loving poignant tribute to Sophie, now a precious Angel.

    (((((((((( ♥ ))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pets, thank you so much for sharing this post.

    Regards,
    Online Essay Help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie's are special. You can be sure fair winds and following seas are accompanying her on this next leg of her journey. Stay strong - it never gets any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I am so sorry for your loss of Sophie, she sounds so sweet. Wonderful tribute to Sophie! HUGS, wishing you more good times to come through your door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that Sophie has left you. She was such a beautiful girl we, too, shall miss her. She had a wonderful life, both with you and Judy, but it's still heart breaking to lose one of your fur babies.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're so sorry to hear about Sophie's crossing the Bridge. She was a special girl and was so lucky to have you and her life long vet by her side in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tears.
    but also the sheer beauty of everything you've written here.
    and the last picture... beloved Charlie with Sophie.
    tears again. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Godspeed to dear, sweet Sophie. She will have new friends joining her at the Rainbow Bridge as Puya, who belonged to DS1 and his wife, left this world for the Bridge just a little while ago. sniffle, sniff.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everytime you lose one of your dogs, I cry. We get to know and love them thru your words. Thank you for what you do for the doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth RodgersFri Apr 30, 12:25:00 PM

    Big hug. She was so happy to have your family with so much love. She is still with you and doggy family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gentle (((((((hugs)))))))) to you, my dear kindred spirit, Kim. What a beautiful beautiful story of Sophie's "being" on this earth and indeed, she came full circle. Her spirit will remain with you, as all the others do I believe, guiding you through your days without her physical presence. God bless you for all the good you do. Lovingly~ Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs to you. Sophie reminds us so much of the grands Angel Gypsy - same sweet face with the gray muzzle. She was a lucky girl to be with you for the end. Soft woos and gentle hugs from all of us.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our vet Dr Blackburn has been there for the lifecycles of our dogs and it means a lot to me. He knows them and cares about them and even sheds tears for them. I'm sure Sophie was comfortable with him nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tears in my eyes, but if it had to end I'm glad it was so lovingly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss. How blessed she was to have you, and your family was to have her. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. The full circle, with Dr S, Judy's birthday, and a golden yellow flower. Sophie, run with your head held high, darling girl, so loved every minute of every day.Kim, your words show how much love was there for Sophie, and sitting with her and Dr S, sharing stories, a loving and so caring finish.XXX from NZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're so sad to hear about your Sophie. She was so lucky to have spent her later years with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know that Sophie was such a treasure in your heart and there she will always remains. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you had her to enjoy and care for.
    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim, this is sad news. I've felt a special fondness for Sophie because, as I've mentioned before, she looks so much like our Millie (who will turn 15 this month and is doing well). Thank you for sharing this darling girl with us. The pictures of Sophie dusted with snow and in her birthday hat are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kim, I am not sure if you got it, but I sent you an email, with a memento in Sophie's honor.
    It will also be in my next blog post.

    Hugs and soft aroos from the pups, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Life coming full circle for Sophie with her early human friend there with you. This is so sad and so beautiful all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We are so very sorry for your loss. It sounds as if Sophie had an amazing life full of love and how nice a vet who had known her all her life could be with her at the end. Purrs of comfort and paws of sympathy from all of us here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful Kim . . .
    Sad . . . yet so beautiful.
    Happy you too were also, mother . . .
    You are “golden” through and through . . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. XO

    ReplyDelete
  26. May God bless you for your kind loving heart.
    In this selfish world we live in,you are a rare gem. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are so sorry that sweet Sophie had to go on that final journey. You gave her that most precious gift of life in her golden years.

    Woofs,
    Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am sending great big hugs and love. Sophie was Lucky have Judy, Dr. S, and you. It was a long and good life, and you made the last chapter filled with love for her.

    ReplyDelete
  29. In re-reading this post (which I have done several times), I just wanted to add that you've written a very touching tribute to a true sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh goodness, tears are on my cheeks, such a lovely post about a beautiful girl. Rest in Peace sweet Sophie and thank you to all those that loved and looked after her. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. so sorry for your loss, she had a good home with you...that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Run free, friend Sophie. You are loved and you are missed.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!