Monday, September 1, 2014

Goldens in a Pear Tree

My days of single-parenting ended when Carl returned from his trip.  The dogs, of course are happy that he's home.  They are also more than willing to tell him all the things that went wrong while he was away.  Todd of course being a Scottie and loyal to me keeps my secrets.  
Our Labor day was a quiet one spent at home. It was much too hot and muggy to do anything outside. But I decided today was the day I was going to follow the advice of some local gardening experts and pick the unripe pears off our tree instead of waiting a few more weeks. Its been a few years since we've had pears that weren't ruined by my nemesis the brown-marmorated-stink-bug, or just had enough to pick.
~Sheba, my pear-picking-companion~
You may know that pears are best picked green, and are one of the only fruits that don’t ripen on the tree. The pears in the picture below are all “green,” and are pretty hard. But since fruit produces a natural ethylene gas, I've put them into paper grocery sacks to soften and ripen them.
Sheba and Josh have been eating the pears off the tree for weeks now. How they have not gotten an upset stomach is anyone's guess.
~Sheba and Josh, Goldens in a pear tree!~
But I cannot wait to enjoy the first ripe pear. It always reminds me of an old wives tale that I've heard over the years says that the best way to eat a ripe and juicy pear is “naked in the bathtub so the juice can drip down your chin with abandon.”  I can and will definitely promise you that if I do this, you'll not be hearing about it.  How do you like to enjoy your pears?

27 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that Carl is home. I find that "single parenting" even just our two dogs is hard work. Also, I love the image of eating a pear in the bathtub... but actually, our peaches have been so darn good and juicy that I'd nominate them for that ceremony! Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juicy pears with juicy worms-yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pears! I just might have to plant one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a pear tree, but it was mostly the birds and worms that got too eat them. Now we just have ornamental pear trees which have beautiful blooms and no fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that about picking them green. I'll go get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    Love the title of this blog.
    Just so funny to see the Golden's with pears around them. You really have a lot of pears. I think I might try the bathtub and eating a juicy pear, sounds heavenly to me.
    Just catching up on my blog reading. I was away in Toronto for 2 weeks and I was totally unplugged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the bathtub saying! and i love pears, too. cute pups! silly kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still stuck on pears right off the tree. I love pears, but the ones we get in the local grocery are tasteless. It's been years since I've eaten one!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Oh come on...you know we all want to see that bath tub picture. Maybe you could be up to your neck in bubbles (and wearing a bathing suit underneath). That would make a classic blog picture.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. WE did not know this about pears. Thanks for sharing.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Ma is jealous...she loves pears and you have a whole bushel of them! We hope you enjoy them all!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad Carl is home now.
    Your pear tree is really loaded! My dogs won't touch them. Yep, brown paper bag - on top of the fridge. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bathtub advice goes double for ripe plums - my favorite, followed by peaches, then pears...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't get any around here, hope your holiday was a happy one, we been gone for 4 days and are worn out!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  15. Didn't know that about pears.

    Eating in the bathtub goes for Mangoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although I never hear that expression, I think I might have a peach after picturing me doing that!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  17. That picture of the pears is pretty enough to frame for the kitchen! Gorgeous!
    Love those golden butts munching on no telling how many pears. Priceless!
    Gus' Mom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ripe juicy pear with sharp cheddar! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Were so happy Carl is home too!! Now everyone is happy!
    We love pears- and we did not know that they are pciked green! Vey interesting.
    We know Todd won't let any secrets out- don't worry
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome home Carl! Todd, you are one smart golden.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmm....pears. Your tree is beautiful! Todd is a loyal and true member of the Scottie club. I love to have pears sliced up in a salad.
    oxox
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll echo the remarks about being glad Carl is back home.

    And I love pears!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Presumably the Old Wives tale relates to a in bath in front of a raging fire ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear Carl is back safe and sound. Love the Golden's in a pear tree made my day. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love pears in many ways. Fresh pears, pear bread, pear tart and pear preserves. My favorite might just be pear brandy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of our rare chances to check up on our bloggie friends. We're keeping our paws crossed for CarrieAnn and the rest of the walking wounded. We used to have a pear tree in the backyard; the Danes would jump up to grab the pears out of the tree. That was before we had a non-Dane rescue who chewed up all the trees and killed them. That doggie sure loved the feel or taste of bark.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ha ha ha, I think I'll use a napkin!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!