Saturday, January 14, 2017

Eva's Past, Present and Future

Friday was a particularly long day that began with a lot of hope, and ended with a lot of discouragement.  Exhausted from it all, I went to bed early.

I'll begin this post by telling you the rest of the story about our girl that you know as "Eevah, or Evah."  Because of where she came from, and how I got her, I felt strongly that I needed to protect her from her past. But on Friday, that past caught up with her. And I feel like it's time to share that past with all of you.  Eva (the actual spelling of her name) came from a commercial kennel here in Virginia.  The dogs at this kennel (puppy mill) are kept, bred and are exploited purely for profit.  Students at a nearby college consider it a "fun afternoon" to go there, pay a $5 donation to get to play with the Golden Retriever puppies and walk the parents.  "Commercial Kennel" advertises doing this, and a friend of mine has a daughter who attends this college, and she has gone there many times with her friends.  Eva was even part of their advertising as were her puppies. The $5 donation supposedly goes to "charity" but there is little doubt, at least in my mind, about where that money is actually going.  Commercial Kennel, with their carefully kept records, operates within the law and despite how you or I may feel about it, it's a legal business. Unfortunately.

I don't really want to dwell on Eva's past.  But that past of her having puppies twice a year for about 7 years, now appears to be affecting her future health that we will all agree is of course the top priority.  As you know, I took Eva on Friday for an ultrasound to see if a spay surgery had been done when her last litter of puppies were delivered via c-section in October. The results were that Eva is still able to have puppies. The other not-so-good-news is that there is not going to be anything that we can do to change that.
Tests we've been doing on Eva show a protein loss in her urine and high blood pressure.  Tying it all back to the ultrasound which showed that her kidney's have abnormalities in their appearance.  The diagnosis is Chronic Kidney disease.  Eva being put under anesthetic could cause renal failure, so it makes doing a spay surgery, too risky.

It's possible that her kidney's may have been an issue for awhile, and Commercial Kennel probably never had any kind of blood work done to have known that.  It's also possible that the anesthetic from the c-section that Eva had in October could have been the culprit for the current condition of her kidney's. It's impossible to know for sure.

The plan is to put Eva on medication (enalapril) with the hopes that it will help with the protein loss, and high blood pressure. Eva will be 8 years old in a few weeks. This disease usually affects dogs a few years older than she is and progresses slowly.  So, our goal will be to try and slow it down, with medications and diet.
There are few words to say how sad and disappointed I am that Eva's life is going to be shortened by this disease.  It's a truly helpless feeling.

But if there's anything I have learned in living with dogs, is that they live in the present. They don't drag their history with them into the present moment and they don't project their worries into the future.  They leave that to us!  They're happy doing what they do, wagging their tails and never missing the chance to enjoy life.  As you can see in the video below that I made at the start of the year of Eva, she's no exception.
At times like this, I need to remember and hang onto this lesson. And do it - For Eva.

35 comments:

  1. Oh I am soo sorry to hear all this for Eva and for you . I hate these puppy mills wish they made them all illegal and crack down on them more . I feel so bad for this pretty girl . I pray all goes well for you all and I know with you both she will live out happier days . xxoo hugs to you all .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't change the past. You can make her present and future wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad news, :'(
    That she will come into season, is not a good thing for getting her a new home - or is it? I'd worry about the poor girl. Do they have a morning after pill for dogs, if somehow she gets caught?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I hope Evah's future will be at least a little happier than her past. She is a beautiful golden, but then I think they are all beautiful. I do think she will be happier with you. Wishing you all a happy day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eva is lucky to be with you. It's awful that she's got kidney disease but I know that you will manage it better than anyone can. I wish that we could fix the world so that all dogs would be loved and cherished - and never abused to make money from them (or for any reason). Sadly, we can't do that but we can help them one at a time. And you've helped more than almost anyone. Hugs to you. I know that you'll let Eva's amazing spirit lead your heart. She looks so full of love and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter what happened to Eva in her past, her future is entrusted to humans who will do whatever is best for HER. Thank you for sharing her story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so sorry to hear about Eva's past and how the poor treatment she had before is affecting her present and future. We hope the meds will give her a lot more good time with you. She sure acts like she is still a puppy herself. These are probably some of the happiest days she has had.

    Woos - Lightning and Misty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I despise breeding mills, and worked side by side with rescuers and volunteers in closing them down. As soon as we had our hands on the momma dogs they were spayed.
    Beautiful Eva deserves happy days in her life, I know she will be getting those days, with you at The Pines.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor girl. At least we are happy she is with you and will have love and care for her remaining years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eva is so happy in her video, and is with you for a special reason. TLC, fellow doggies for company, and the best care and huge love that you share with them all is a recipe for great happiness. Sadness for what has been, but knowing you cannot change that,so hard to accept. Sending a whole heap of love to you and to all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever her future brings we know that Eva will be happy with you and you will make her as comfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eva is gorgeous. And it's abut quality of life, not necessarily longevity. I found Osa, our new girl on Craigs list. At a year and a half, she's already had a litter of puppies. she was spayed on Monday. She is the smallest hottie I've ever had, and I can't help but think that the early breeding affected her. She is quite quirky. I "rescued" her primarily because she got along with Otto. That part is working out very well. The rest...we'll take a day at a time. Eva, you've landed in the right place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the video of Eva...she seems so happy and free! I cannot STAND puppy mills. I just know you will do the right things to keep Eva happy and healthy. She is where she needs to be...right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sad situation. I'm so glad she is with you now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet baby and a sad story. Thankful she has a wonderful new home to become a diva in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And all of this with you not feeling very well certainly doesn't help.
    Eva's video proves all of your thoughts about how dogs go with the present. She runs like a young girl with a puppy sounding voice. Perhaps the weight of never having to birth puppies and living a truly carefree life with you is reflected in her happy romp.
    And, you, for sure, know that you have given her that gift.
    Thank you,
    Gus' Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're so sorry to hear of Eva's very sad past, and her health problems, but know that you will do your very best for this sweet little girl in the future. She looks full of life and very happy in the video - the here and now is where she lives, and she looks as though she's enjoying every minute.
    Hope you are feeling better, too, Kim - you do so much for your pups that it's easy to neglect yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sad to read about poor Eva's terrible past but seeing her happy tail wag she is telling you she is content now and so joyful to be where she is loved and cared for. Take care - nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with sophie and coppa's girl above...
    she runs and barks like a young girl!
    I think in her heart she knows she's finally in a safe place. at least I hope she does.
    I know that news makes it harder for you at some point.
    but she is so worth it after the miserable life she's endured.
    puppy mills are an abomination. the people have to stop them. no law will do it. I've tried. they will always get around the law. they go underground.
    they are dog concentration camps for profit. if people would JUST QUIT BUYING THEIR DOGS THERE they would soon close. those people are only in it for the MONEY.
    bless you dearest kim! and bless little eva.
    thank you so much for showing us her video. XOXOXO♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy that Eva ended up with you.
    Thank god for that.
    I get so disgusted and angry with people and...
    but then knowing you, reminds me there is Good in this world.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. In a world gone half crazy it's good to know that Eva is happy and there are still those who shoulder responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sad,too to hear this news. But Eva's life is happy now and she will continue to be cared for and loved. It's what we can all do today. May God bless you and Eva both.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh! She is absolutely beautiful! Bless her heart... I have learned so much from blogging. One very valuable lesson is about puppy mills and why not to support them and to do research before 'buying' a puppy. If I were ever to get another dog it would be a rescue. I strongly suspect that Gracie came from a puppy mill though I did not know what one was at the time I went to get her. The place was clean and organized.... but still... she did not take me back to look at the puppies but instead brought them all outside to greet me... how can you tell if you are dealing with a puppy mill? Probably ask more questions for one thing, right? Sorry I'm rambling... Eva is so lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy you have found out what is going on with her and hopefully the medication will help. Puppy Mill happenings are so disturbing . . . One more example of rampant greed surrounding us!
    Happy Eva is with you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww - hugs to Eva. I'm glad she's come to you - she'll have a chance to know what happiness is about. Keeping paws crossed the medications does wonders.

    Monty, Harlow, and Ramble

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am surprised your friend's daughter is so clueless about what is going on. I thought college kids had causes to fight for. They are certainly old enough to understand that puppy mills are bad, no matter how well the books look.

    *hugs* and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  27. She knows she's safe now. She has the best home ever with you as her Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. PeeS.....Thank you for your kind words on my 'Our Rainbow Friends' blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That 'place' you described me reminded me of a Siamese kitten we had many years ago. We found he had rickets which was of course caused by the female cats having far too many pregnancies in quick succession. Another establishment using animals to make money quickly.
    Golden retrievers are my favourite dogs and when I read the story of Eva and how she had been treated it brought tears to my eye. One can only hope the medication will help prolong her life without pain. We adopted a golden retriever when she was 7 years old as the owner was leaving Australia to return to Scotland. Emma was overweight having been enjoying far too many afternoon teas with her owner. Consequently her kidneys failed (we were never told if she was diabetic at all) and at age 12 she had to be put to sleep. I remember her with such fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh You are such a dear for Taking these poor poor animals in. Its ok to share your story with us. It is better to know about these places.....so we can be educated and help young animal lovers understand what is really happening .

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes, we can learn so much from our dogs! This is a great lesson and it helped me thru some tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This angers me so much. And it is all too common. I do wish we could shut down all such operations and save such beautiful dogs. I'm so glad she now has a good home and is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Her life was horrible before, but now with you, she can live out her days with love and kindness. We can't change what is past, but we can do the best in the days ahead. However short, Tess will still have some wonderful days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kim,, because you and Carl and all the furrys at Golden Pines,,, and all the love that is there,,, It just helps keep everyone happy,,, and that is what is important.
    I know how helpless you are feeling right now,, You want so much to make her better
    Thank you Kim, for all that you do,
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  35. She found her way to you and I am sure her future will be full of love no matter what. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!