Monday, November 4, 2013

Todd verses Lydia

It was not the best first day for Lydia, as our new dog-walker.  Just as I was leaving for lunch, I got a phone call from her telling me that Sunny had gone into one of the crates and was growling at her.  I told her to just leave him alone and try to avoid eye contact with him, and that he would be fine.  Sunny met Lydia like they were old friends on Friday and was really relaxed around her. However, history is showing that he gets nervous and unsure about someone he doesn't know that well, (or at all) when either Carl or I aren't around. We both agreed it will just take him some time.
Then my phone rang again about 30 minutes later.  It was Lydia. She couldn't get Todd to come inside.  He'd been barking at her since she arrived, and despite the best of bribes (all of which he ate) and hardest of efforts he would not come into the house.  Lydia is an experienced dog-walker with about 8+ years of experience, but does not have much experience with Scottie's. I know she is trying really hard to be friends with the dogs, and with the exception of Sunny and Todd, today that pretty much worked.  But Todd doesn't yet see Lydia as a friend, and I think he may also see her as a bit of a pushover. It goes right along with something that I read once that said, "when you own a Scottie, you live with a dog that thinks he's smarter than you."  And today, Todd showed Lydia that he was. And in the end, we decided that nothing she could do would get Todd back inside, and he would be okay left outside for the afternoon. So, with the nip Todd gave Lydia on Friday, and the events of today, the score is now:  Todd: 2 -- Lydia: 0 .  I don't know about you, but I'm rooting for the current underdog in all of this right now, and that's Lydia. And I'm hoping that tomorrow with Todd on a leash, she'll at least get on the score board.  We'll see.

28 comments:

  1. Boy. That's rough. I do hope nothing worse than barking happens.
    You may need to give her some tips on how to handle Scotties.
    Hope things get better, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder about a day where she doesn't have to walk them. Just get them out in the yard and play w ith frisbees or balls, hand out some treats, just get them to see she is plenty OK. I hope that kind of thing might work.

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, being Scotties, we bet that Todd now has the upper hand and being Scotties that's how it's supposed to be. See, I love Mom and She loves me, But I AM IN CHARGE, and she knows it, Barharhar!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope, not a good first day for her

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todd, are you laughing at Lydia in that last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Lydia evens the score!

    If Todd was given no breakfast on the days she is there, would he be more inclined to go to her for treats and to respect her if she was the one to feed him his morning meal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear - I did have to giggle about Todd. Hope he & Lydia make friends soon x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear Todd mate... Isn't she trying to take you for a walk? Walk=fun walking peeps=nice peeps...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely not a good first day...but maybe a play day would be a good idea?? Scotties can be a little tempermental. My friend has one and he has known me for awhile. He still growls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time, a lot of encouragement for Lydia and a bottomless supply of treats should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess Todd thinks he is the boss. LOL. That is so funny, because he seems to be very friendly.
    Hoep things are better today and she can be a keeper. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morning Kim, yikes, that's a hard one, hope they both take their time getting to know each other.....Feel bad for Sunny, hate to think what that beautiful boy went through before he came to live with you, pray it all works out, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, he's a PAIN! lydia, you'll manage just fine in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do have a very full life don't you Kim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dogs are so crafty, aren't they?

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Dear!! trust Todd. Bless his heart, he's actually a complete push over with me and I've never met him. I just love this little chap to bits, there is something about him that oozes character and I love every inch of it. Back to the psychology of dogs and pass my best of luck wishes to Lydia...stick with it girl, you'll win Todd over in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our sweet friends at Golden Pines,,
    we thank you for all the prayers you have been sending to Tweedles and us.
    As I sit here right now listening yo a little bird tweeting in the bushes- the sounds are like a tiny bell- and we know its another prayer coming in for Tweedles.
    You have been a gift for the God above to us. We are thankful- and when things calm a bit- we will come back to look at all your photos- and read all your words. We wish the best for everyone at Golden Pines too,,
    and Tweedles would problably suggest a jar of peanut butter might help make Todd to be friends with who ever comes into his life.
    We are thankful you are in our life.
    love
    tweedles mommy- georgie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ya just got to love those terriers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my, Lydia had quite a day. Hopefully Sunny will get used to her and things will go much better for them.
    The dogs sure are pretty animals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. With a pack that big I guess you must expect a few glitches. There are so many personalities to deal with. Hope everything smoothes out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Todd, we reckon you should let Lydia take ya for a walk. You'll love it and so will she. Maybe she could play/walk around the yard throwing treats all around and soon everybuddy will follow her like the Pied Piper hehe. Take care and good luck.
    No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lydia sounds like a super good sport, and I bet it will all work out in the end. I've never had a Scottie either so I don't know what it's like to have a dog who knows he's smarter than me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is testing the new girl for sure! Hope tomorrow goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We vote for Todd. Terriers rule!!!! Bwahahahaha!
    Smooches from pooches,
    BabyRocketDog and Hootie

    (I vote for Lydia.
    x-the human mama Cassie)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh the scottietude you have to love em.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh the scottietude you have to love em.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am sure Todd will come around. Especially when he sees all the other dogs are happy with Lydia! Cute photos!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!