Thursday, January 31, 2019

Do You Remember Chipper?

With arrival of Joy last week I'm behind in telling you about Chipper. Do you remember that we even have him?  I've hardly written about him, so it's okay.  Chip arrived here in June from Lancaster Pennsylvania. He'd been used for breeding, and was given to Lab Rescue by an Amish farmer.
~Chip the day we met him in June, 2018~ 
Chip is a dog with a gentle heart and a wounded soul. He is afraid of practically everything. In the nearly 20 years that we've been fostering dogs, I have to say, that he is the most fearful dog we've ever had.  Honestly, he spends most of his time, running away from everything. Even including us. The picture below is an example of that - he's worried and his head and tail are down, and he's avoiding any eye contact as he tries to get away. It's very sad.

But I think Chip is torn by what he wants to do, and what he's always known. In the past 6 months that we've had him, he has made good progress and is much more relaxed. But the progress is slow, and sometimes we take steps forward, only to go back several more. There is no doubt, he has a long way to go and so much to learn. The progress that has been made is that he'll come to us for treats and attention so I know that he has come to trust us. It does help that he is highly food motivated.
In December when Lab Rescue announced their waived adoption fee for the senior dogs, it generated some interest in Chip, who is about 10 years old. But among those few calls about him, no one really seemed to understand the challenges of having a shy and fearful dog like Chip. And for that matter, no one had an interest in helping Chip overcome his fears and find his confidence. They appeared only interested in him because of the waived adoption fee.

I talked to Lab Rescue about my concerns, worries and hopes and dreams for Chip. The coordinator totally agreed with me about his special needs. And others who've met him also agreed that Chip needed a special adopter. I knew that we could continue to wait, and eventually someone may come.  But those of you who have lived with dogs like Chip know there is a unique and strong bond that develops when a fearful dog has given you their trust. The more time that passes, I feel that trust and bond with Chip. And last week when I was bent over and greeting another dog, Chip snuck up on me and quickly licked my cheek. He'd never done that before, so it surprised me, and he quickly backed away. But he didn't go to his "safe place." Instead he stood several feet away, looking at me and wagging his tail. And I knew in that moment that the decision that was made a few days before was the right one.  Chip has found his forever home, with us.
~Chip this morning, with his pack-mates~

39 comments:

  1. Hello, Hooray for Chip! I am glad you are adopting him and his forever home will be with you. I like the pack mate photo, your dogs are so cute. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who had a dog who behaved just like Chip, your decision to adopt him made me cry. It is incredible when you earn the trust of a dog like Chip - it is so special, precious, and rewarding. I hope that he continues to grow his trust in your safe and wonderful haven. Thank you, Kim. And Shyla thanks you too. There is hope - Shyla continues to grow and gain confidence, 7 years after we adopted her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you and great for Chip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super. If Chipper got moved again, it would only reinforce the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chip knows the love that surrounds him with you, and is safe and happy. This is a wonderful sign that he trusts. You know them so well, and staying is what will be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A blessed beginning. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, life affirming story. Chipper sounds as though he's worked it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home Chipper! What a blessing you are to him and him to you. Thank you for taking your time and loving him just the way he is. What a beautiful soul you both have. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless Chip's heart and bless you and your understanding if his needs and those of your other dogs. What a wonderful ministry you and your family have in loving and caring for these gentle souls. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. That's about all we really need to say. You are wonderful to accept Chip into your life and be willing to give him the time and help he needs. All the best.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is sad whenever we meet a dog like Chip. But he is one of the lucky ones to have found you. The bond will grow stronger every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you and Chip. We just know he feels safe with you and your pack. Our paws are crossed that he continues to gain confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was not aware of Chip. He sure is handsome and I could not be happier about him finding his forever home at Golden Pines. Thank you....again. He looks pretty comfortable with the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy Chip found his forever home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, I was reading & as I got closer to the bottom I just knew that you would keep him. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kim, It seems so empty to say this but "THANK YOU"

    ReplyDelete
  17. This news just fills our heart. You are such a special person and we are so happy that Chip will be a permanent resident at your loving and patient home
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now you made me cry. None of what went before matters - all that matters is that he will stay with you. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful news for Chip and for you! My Alex, a rescue, took a few months until he felt at home with me. He was from the streets of Trenton NJ and was with his rescuer for a few months before he came to me. He is a great little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This brought tears to my eyes too! I am so happy that you and Chipper found each other, he is exactly where he was meant to be. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet, sweet story. So glad Chipper is learning to trust.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Kim,
    It just breaks my heart to think what Chip
    wentt through in his previous life to be so fearful. And thankfully no one took him at Christmas. It seems they were only interested in a free dog and not how needy and special Chip is. Free is not always a good thing.
    When he kissed you and didn’t leave for his safe place my heart swelled. The last picture with sweet Charlie, I think , shows he is settling in and feeling more secure.
    Thank you for saving Chip and giving him a wonderful, safe life.
    Hugs Gus’ Mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh Kim. to be the recipient of such love. a reaching out. shy and tentative and touching your very soul. I am crying. for relief and shared happiness. and for this wonderful perfect decision of yours! bless you darling girl. and bless CHIP! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  24. His story breaks my heart too. Once again, bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on adopting Chip. One more lucky furry animal. You and Carl are definitely Angels in my eyes and I'm sure in many others eyes.
    May Chip continue to trust and open his heart 100% to you both.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  27. What great news!! Chip has a safe home where he won't be emotionally harmed any more...I know that I would have a hard time parting with him after he made the bond. So Congratulations to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My heart just melted for you and Chip!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Kim, this is the best news! I've often thought about dear Chipper and the difficult road he has traveled. I'm cheering this sweet boy - and you - on!!!
    Stephanie Jo in Northern California

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kim, I know I dotn comment much, but just had to tell you how wonderful this story is and how the love that Chip has started to show you is worth a life time of saddness. I am so glad he is staying with you and that he will now, slowly will learn what is good about this life. Kim I miss Bert so much and I wish that we had been able to spend his senior years together as I have always loved the journey you have taken. I know I am not getting this out right, but this brought me to tears and I am so happy for Mr. Chip.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie, I think you've said it perfectly. Thank-you. I have to confess, that part of the reason why we started fostering seniors was because I felt as you did when you lost your beloved Bert. Our first Golden died at 6 years old, and I felt "cheated" out of spending his senior years together. And when we fostered our first senior, I knew I'd never foster the young maniacs again. But I hope you found comfort in knowing that Bert's loss was shared by many like me, who felt like they'd lost their own dog. He had such a big personality and he is missed and will always be remembered.

      Delete
  31. YAY for Chip. I am glad to hear he is making progress and he will be staying with you and your clan for he has been in the best care and have the best family and friends to live out the rest of his days .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Chip trusts you,,,! Its just taking "time". I am so glad you did not give up! There is hope,,, and there is love,,, and that is what matters. Thank you for taking Chip in!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Chip, you are a very lucky Dog! I am very happy for you and your forever home and family!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!