Sunday, February 17, 2019

On About Day 70 of Grace for Bailey

I'm grateful that we are rounding the corner to another week. Last week was quite a week for both me and part of our pack. On Friday our foster girl Ginger had her spay done. It all went well. She's home and resting.
Most of the drama was Bailey. And I've been feeling the emotional fallout from it since. It began when I got home from work Tuesday evening, and found Bailey laying in the same place as she was when I'd left for work more than 10 hours before. My dog-walker hadn't gotten her up and outside, and my brother and husband had no idea about any of it when they'd arrived home before me.
~Bailey not feeling well~
Being in one position for so long had made Bailey sick, and she was refusing to move. We got her up and moving and outside, but she continued getting sick and was having problems breathing. By bedtime she seemed brighter, so we opted to monitor her overnight. It was a mostly sleepless night for both of us.

By the time the sun was coming up, I was exhausted and stayed home from work. I called Bailey's vet when they opened, but they were unable to see us until late afternoon. I didn't want to wait that long, so I called my Mobile Vet, who could see her a few hours earlier.

Having someone else see Bailey turned out to be a good decision. Mobile Vet decided to take x-rays.
With all the coughing up of fluid, we thought she might have pneumonia. But she does not. 
The x-ray below was taken with Bailey on her back. I've "enhanced" the x-ray so you can see that the darkened area in between the two arrows is her trachea. You can see that there is a curve. It should of course be straight/smooth. The tumor which is on your left has displaced that.  This is why Bailey has breathing problems. When she's in the same position for too long, fluid pools in that curve and obstructs her airway, and she coughs. If she's up and around, it helps to open up her airway and allow any fluid to move through.
Mobile Vet took the time to talk to me about everything that he thinks are options for Bailey's care. There are not many, but Mobile Vet thinks that a visit to the oncologist is a good place to start. His thought is that a bronchodilator may be something Bailey may benefit from. So, next week, Joy and Bailey will be off to see the oncologist.

And as we start a new week, Bailey is doing much, much better and is hardly coughing. Her appetite is back, and Mobile Vet gave me some new ideas for helping to keep Bailey's airway clear. My hope and optimism that all but vanished mid-week has returned as we continue on our "days of Grace with Bailey."

On a much lighter note, I hope you had a good Valentine's day! 
Here are a few photos used to mark ours. 


~Ginger~

~Rhett~
~Joy~
Thanks for stopping by - Have a good week! 


22 comments:

  1. What a difficult week you and Bailey had. I am so glad that you are both doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much love is being sent to you Kim, and your pack! I am glad that the mobil vet came and gave you some new ideas! A little hope to extend the Days of Grace for Bailey! Power of the Paws coming your way!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of love to Bailey - and to you for all that you do. We hope Bailey has more days of Grace to come.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hearts full of love. We do our best all the time, and when it isn't enough, know how much we do really love and care, Hugs to Bailey and you as you find the best solution for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have our paws crossed that Bailey can be comfortable in her days of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending lots of love to you all. I'm so sorry it was such a hard week. I'm glad things are looking up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, sending prayers and healing wishes for Bailey and Joy. Love the sweet dogs and photos. Wishing you a happy day and new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tough days, but ending with a bit of relief and hope; wishing all the best for Bailey and you :) Oh my gosh, the pictures of the sweet pups with your hands and the heart made of snow - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you get the oncologist involved, there's trouble ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that mobile vet. he knows what he's doing and at least is able to make Bailey more comfortable. you can trust him.
    isn't that a wonderful word. trust!
    bless you darling Kim. sending love and always hope and strength to endure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad that you have a mobile vet. He sounds great. I'm glad that Bailey has you to give him as many wonderful days ahead as possible.

    I love your Valentine's Day heart! What a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a week ! Was Bailey sedated for the x-ray or was she so out of things that she was willing to be manhandled under the machine ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog and love what you do for the dogs. I usually leave your blog with a smile on my face, but often with tears running down my face. You are good people. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Bailey and poor you. What a worry. We know you'll make Bailey's days of grace will be as enjoyable as possible... Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear Bailey is doing well for the interim. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank goodness for the mobile vet. We are keeping Bailey in our pug prayers
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a scare that must have been. So glad you were able to get some answers. You go Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We know what it's like to have an older doggie who is starting to do poorly. It breaks your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart is with you all each day. May Bailey just keep getting better after this scary event and quick healing to Ginger, too. Beautiful girls both.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My best to Bailey. And to you also, as you continue your remarkable work helping these wonderful dogs live out their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry for poor Bailey's predicament and wishing there was something that could be done to permanently alleviate her troubles and let her live in comfort. Prayers going up for her and you.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!