Sunday, October 27, 2019

Lifting My Spirits

A pretty quiet week for us as the proverbial dust settled on the unexpected loss of Buddy. Thanks to a "memory reminder" on Facebook, I was reminded that Buddy's loss, as a coincidence, came a day before our last foster dog named Buddy left us 5 years ago. My hopes and dreams for them both were exactly the same, but not meant to be. I have to be honest, I've had a lot of feelings of guilt over everything that happened. I suppose it's only natural.
But your friendship and sharing Buddy's loss has really helped. I know that holding onto that guilt will not bring Buddy back. And it also doesn't allow room for positivity in moving forward, because life, our lives, must go on. 
~Buddy~
And going on it has. The dogs have a way of pulling me back into reality and keeping me grounded and lifting my spirits. I had Thursday off work, and it was a good day to recharge. 
~Rhett & Max in the background~
It was a beautiful fall day as the sun shown brightly. A walk around our property allowed us to be outside, clearing my mind and enjoying the dogs.
~Max~
We were outside again a bit later and I had to chuckle at the photo below of Todd. I'd noticed him rolling on something and when I got to him, he was so still, just laying there. My guess is he was trying to get whatever it was to soak into him? 
He is such a character, and his energy and spirit, makes me laugh every day. 
Actually, all the dogs do that. And for that, along with your friendship, I'm grateful.

13 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am glad you have all the other dogs there to help cheer you up! They are all cuties, hugs to all. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Us pups are pawsome at making our peeps laff, so sorry to hear about Buddy, sending you lots of luffs and hugs form over The Pond
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. a heart warming post for this Monday morning. and if anyone should NOT feel guilty it's YOU. you are one of the most loving and diligent and kindest 'moms' I've ever known. with all that you do you still manage to take wonderful pictures and keep us included in your life. it's appreciated! sending you deepest affection always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad to hear you had a good week. Todd looks like he is trying to make sure you don't remove him from that great stinky spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we can't help our feeling of guilt sometimes. But Buddy got to spend his last nine days in the best of places. With the best people, the most loving people he could ever hope to find.I remember when you first got Todd and I just knew he would make you smile when things got tough. So happy I was right about that. He's a character, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Scottie will keep everyone else in line. Who keeps Todd in line? It's impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel guilty too after every dog I have dies. I think of what I could do and what I did not do But I decided to help myself by writing a journal. With each dog, I write down what I feel guilty about. Then I write down what I would have done different. It helps me feel a little better seeing it on paper and knowing I did the best with what I knew at the time. Even if a dog only gets to spend one day with us before they pass, at least they were not alone. They died knowing that someone loved them very much and was with them and that is what you do for them. I have said it before in previous commments-you are a strong person. You are a good person and all those dogs will be waiting for you when your life is done to tell you that they were happy you were there for them. If you get a chance watch A dog's journey and A dog's purpose by W Bruce Cameron. Be prepared to cry a lot but both my 11 year old daughter and I watched them and they were really good dog movies about dogs coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dogs keep things in perspective. We tend to beat ourselves up with 'what if...what could I have done...'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, you have nothing to feel guilty about. You gave Buddy nine wonderful days full of love and caring. Those are the happy thoughts he took to the Rainbow Bridge.
    It is true that, if we love our pets, we feel guilty at having to make the awful decision that parts them from us. At least we can end their suffering with dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are very sad to hear about Buddy. He looked like he was just a joy! Glad you have the others to keep your spirits up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so happy for you that you have this crew to help lift your spirits. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!