Sunday, March 1, 2020

Chip and My Promise to Him

Since Thursday I've been trying to find the words for this post. But they just won't come. I've wanted to tell the story of the last few weeks with Chip. But the uncertainty and trepidation that I've had about him has consumed me and I just haven't been able to.

It began a couple of weeks ago when Chip started limping and holding up his back leg.  He'd slipped a couple of times and when he got up, he was favoring his knee. But after a day or so he'd be fine. But now, his limp wasn't going away. I just knew he'd torn his ACL, (anterior cruciate ligament) and would need knee surgery. I decided last week to confine Chip.  I thought that in making him rest that maybe if it was a partial tear, his knee would improve, and maybe we would be able to avoid the surgery.
Well, Chip didn't get any better. And, having to wait three days for an appointment with Mobile Vet didn't change that. When we arrived for our appointment, Mobile Vet said without even examining Chip, that he thought that it was a torn ACL. But when he did the exam, that changed.

A single x-ray was taken and that was all Mobile Vet said he needed because he could see right away what was causing Chip to limp. And before Mobile Vet could say it, I said, "it's bone cancer, isn't it?"  He nodded his head and said that it was. It was my worst fear realized, and it was one I'd thought of, but I kept it deep inside, and didn't allow myself to even consider or say it until that moment. It was a crushing blow.....
Mobile Vet and I discussed every. single. option. for treatment and I have considered each one. Years ago, the first senior Golden we had, had bone cancer, so I know from that experience, and from others experiences, that it is a very painful cancer. So taking everything about Chip into consideration, it has taken 2 days and a lot of tears to feel comfortable about the path to take with him.
Chip will not be having surgery to remove his leg and do chemo, which is the traditional treatment.  Instead I have made an appointment with Holistic Vet for this coming week. My hope is that she has some tricks up her sleeve that will slow down the cancer, and give us and Chip more quality time. And most importantly and what is paramount is to keep Chip as pain free as we can.
Managing his pain is not a challenge at the moment, however, it will be one in the days to come. But I've made Chip a promise that we'll do our best to make his last days ones that are free from pain. And this promise is one I fully intend to keep.

29 comments:

  1. Your 'promise' is the best decision you could make. We know Chip is in good, caring hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love for each one surpasses all else. And for Chip, this will be your guide, I know he will be so loved and cared for, and I know the anguish that an X-Ray can give.we will walk alongside you as you both have a journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, sending prayers, good wishes and hugs for you and Chip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How blessed is Chip to be in your hands. We all know that he will have the best care possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're sorry to hear about Chip and know you will do the best you can for him. Our paws are crossed that he feels no pain during the time he has left with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, poor doggie! Sending hugs and POTP your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness Chip is in your care, Kim. We know that he will get all the love, and the best possible treatment, that any dog could ever have. So very sorry that this has happened, and hoping that he has much more time to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim, I am so sorry to hear about Chip. I wrote to you awhile ago about our lab Murphy who has bone cancer. He is doing okay and we feel he still has quality of life. He's on rimadyl twice a day and gabapetin three times a day. We never thought he'd live past Christmas but here he is still enjoying life. We know that can change on a dime though. Tragically we lost my beloved poodle recently and suddenly to a bad gall bladder. You are my hero for taking such good care of all your pups (and cats). Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chip is having a little taste of Heaven before he gets there.
    bless you darling child. for your steadfast love for these wonderful heartwarming and heart rending friends who just happen to also be dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kim hugs to everyone at your house. I had to go back and read Chip's story and I am so happy for him that he came to you. So sorry about the cancer. Extra hugs to Chip too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a blessing to Chip and he knows how much you love him. He knows without a doubt you will be there for him and do what is best. This is love from you to him and him to you. Very powerful and rare

    ReplyDelete
  12. He will be in good hands and much loved. But once again a sad journey for you. I know it's the love you have in your heart for all these old dogs that keeps you going. The good thing is: They know it too and they love you for it. And that love somehow gets shared with us who read your posts. Hamlet was the first of your dogs I fell in love with and missed so much after he was gone. So many years ago now, so many dogs. Love is an amazing thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a shame. I know this will be a difficult road for you and for Chip. But you have made the right decision and I know you will follow through, hard as it may be. I'll be sending daily good vibes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very sorry for you and for Chip, but we know you will only do the very best for Chip to keep him comfortable. We know all too well the agony of knee problems, having had three dogs with four CCL tears. Lightning has not had his last tear repaired because of multiple complications in the leg. Mom dreads the day that she hears the report you have about Chip. Hugs to you for all that you do despite how emotionally draining it is for you.

    Hugs and Woos, Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I am so sad for Chip and for you. I know how tough these decisions are. I also know that you will do the best for him for whatever time he has left in this world. We are sending big hugs and prayers for Chip to be happy for as long as possible. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. That diagnosis is crushing. I remember when Kyla was diagnosed with melanoma and given 3 to 9 months to live, most likely six months. It was six.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lucky Chip is to be with you, experienced and loving enough to make the right decisions for him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bless you for doing what is best for Chip.

    we hate cancer too

    ReplyDelete
  19. My parents went through the same thing a few months ago with a beloved greyhound girl. They made much the same decision; the vets got her on some medications but no surgery. Sadly she didn't have as much time left as we had hoped for but what time she had was the best. My opinion of cancer, if I wrote it here, would be bannable material I'm sure. I know you will do all you can for Chip to keep him happy and comfortable for as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You all are absolutely amazing, I am constantly in awe. Your decision with Chip is such a good and honest choice including the promise you made him. Your hearts have to be enormous, I don't think I could emotionally do what you do. I admire you lots and sing your praises to all. I will as I have keep you & Chip in my thoughts & prayers. Good job!
    Take care,
    Lucy (Troy,Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear about Chip. Anything with the ugly C-word is never good. If I were in your position, I would be doing the exact same thing with his treatment and time left. I know how hard it is, but thank you for giving him the best life and love he could get. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have made the right decision, but I know it was a very difficult one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chip knows that when you have someone you can completely trust and rely on long journeys lose their fear. Doesn't make it any easier for those waving farewell at the quayside.

    Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chip is such a beautiful soul. LOVE that boy. He was been given to you as a great gift from above. You are his savior. He knows that your promise is from your heart. He LOVES you. He is so very lucky to have you for his mama. Whatever the time that God is going to give you.....ENJOY every single second together. Chip,will keep you in his heart forever, as you will keep him in your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Chip. I know that your humans will keep you happy and fill your life with love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Reading this again and again.
    Makes me very sad for Chip, for you.
    I think your pain free goal is the best.
    So difficult isn’t it, when our loves have complications.
    They certainly are just like family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've always had a special place in my heart for Chip. May these days be full of love and goodness for him. To make sure our friends do not suffer pain is a great privilege; you'll be in my prayers. Bless you, dearest boy.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!