Thursday, July 21, 2022

Jake's Last Day

Dear Friends, 

Thank you all for sharing the loss of Jake with us. It's a reminder of something that I've known for a very long time, and that's that the blogging community is one of kindness, compassion and friendship. Your comments on Jake's loss really made a difference in the sad days of the past week. 

A couple of months ago I read something that really stuck with me about the "responsibility of being a witness" to the passing of our beloved pets, just as we've been one to the lives they lived. It was a very powerful article, written by a professional and long time death doula, who shares her experiences and thoughts on death on a Facebook page (and blog) that I follow. But I'd never thought of myself as a "witness" to our dogs lives, but I guess I am. I am a 'witness' to the last chapter of their lives and what's written below is my 'witness' of Jake's last day with us. I know that it's a bit wordy, and with time being a premium, I totally understand if you don't have time to read it. 

So I will end this part of the post by saying again how much it means to me to have your support and for always being there to cheer us on, in both the good times, and the not so good times. You all are the best!

   July 13th started out as a normal day.  I'd gotten Jake outside, he ate his breakfast, drank water and was even wagging his stubby tail when I gave him treats. Off to work I went. Knowing how concerned I was about Jake, a few weeks ago our dog walker started texting me updates when she came midday so I wouldn't worry (too much) about how he was doing.  She said she'd also gotten Jake out and made sure he had water, and gave him treats and even noted that he was in good spirits.

Carl got home around 5 o'clock, and he also got Jake outside and there was no indication of anything wrong - I got home from work, Jake was fine, he was sitting up and seemed happy to see me and I spent a few minutes with him before getting dinner ready for the dogs. Jake's first seizure was at about 6:30, it lasted just over a minute, and he seemed to recover in just in few minutes. It had been over a week since he'd had a seizure, so I wasn't overly worried because he seemed okay. So, I went ahead and fed the other dogs, and I could tell that he wanted something to eat, so I gave him his meal, which he ate. We decided to move him into the bedroom because it was quieter. I didn't want him to be alone, and so I sat with him. Shortly after 9 PM, Jake would have a 2nd seizure. I texted the medical coordinator for the rescue to let her know. 

Jake seemed to again recover from the second seizure, and was alert. By this time I'd talked to the coordinator for the rescue about what to do. We decided to take him in to the animal emergency - The first one I called, was 'full to capacity' and wouldn't see him. So, I called another about 45+ minutes from us to ask them about seeing Jake. They said they were also having a busy night, and it would be at least a 4-5 hour wait or possibly longer if Jake was stable. I'll add that I seem to recall a possible 12 hour wait in my conversation with the receptionist. Jake did seem 'stable' so I called the coordinator back, and we decided to wait through the night, and call the vet first thing in the morning and take him into the ER if he had another seizure. Unfortunately he did shortly after we talked. It was worse than the other 2 had been, and I became more than worried that Jake may not make the nearly one hour drive to the ER, especially when he had another seizure barely a minute or two later. 

I drove as fast as I dared to, given that I kept seeing deer (and even a fox) crossing and grazing along the side of the road and it was a little rainy, making it pitch dark. Jake was whining a little, and I didn't and don't know why. I'd not heard him whine before, and it's something that still bothers me. But Carl sitting next to him, he settled down and he was alert for most of the 40+ minute drive. 

Unfortunately Jake had another seizure when we were about 5 minutes away. It was about 11:30 PM when I pulled up to the ER. I opened the door of the van and he was barely breathing and his (gum) color wasn't good. I knew we were going to lose him. I ran inside to find the one and only receptionist listening to someone talk about his dog who had been scratching his ear all day - I stood silently as long as I could, and I finally interrupted. Fast forward to the staff getting Jake onto a stretcher, and they rushed him to the back. By the time I parked and was back inside, they were coming out to tell us that Jake was gone. 

Being told news that I already knew just caused all the emotions I'd been ignoring all evening to surface and my heart to break. I asked the vet to to bring Jake to us so we could say our goodbye's. I kissed his head knowing that it would be the last time I would ever kiss him, and I noticed how soft and warm his fur was, and I wanted to remember what he felt like, because I knew I would never feel his soft fluffy coat again. I tried to memorize every detail, knowing it would be the last time I’d ever see the face of a dog I dearly love and I whispered into his ear those things that come from the heart at those moments . . . . . . . . . we said good-bye to Jake. 

I know in time the sadness and emotions last Tuesday will soften, but what will remain is what always does, the gratitude in my heart for having the chance to know Jake and to love him, and have him as part of our lives for 317 days. 

26 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it..... It certainly has an impact on me, and hope many others have felt the importance of your love and care as these very sweet pups have come and gone. You are one in a million. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're sorry to read that Jake's last day was probably not what you would want for him but we're glad to hear you were able to say goodbye. He knew he was loved very much by you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kim, tears are flowing down my cheeks as I've just finished reading your story about Jake's last day. Just think though... Jake was loved so much that even someone who never met him is grieving his passing. What a gift of this life! I have always said... to have humans cry because an animal has died is the best & most beautiful gift we can give to them. Some pass without even so much as a glance or a thought, let alone tears of sadness. Jake was loved soooo much that hearts are broken because his body no longer exists on this earth. How lucky is that. And just think.... so many humans were fighting to save him, from you folks to the rescue group to the people at the ER clinic! All those people were working to help him! He knew he was special and he was loved. How could he not know that. I love you, dear Kim, for all you do and for the kind person you are! Jake's body no longer functions on the earth but you best believe his spirit is still here and will **never** go anywhere! His spirit has been added to the universe surrounding all of us and we are so much better because of it. ~Andrea XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the tears ... a dog's love and trust is so very special and yuo, the family, and the pack gave Jake the best home ever for those precious 317 days and nights.
    I still miss our beloved Bassett's silky ears and she's been gone for nearly 18 years.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We share and care, and for you to write the words we read today, puts life into perspective.None of us know what tomorrow might bring, and now,, myself, along with so many who never met Jake, but grew to know and love him through your words, can grieve alongside you and Carl and the others who cared for Jake in those last minutes.He was so loved, and knew this all along. Let his love and spirit be with you specially in the coming weeks . Much love from down in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your last night with Jake brings back memories of our last day and night with Angel Ciara. She had epilepsy and we had tried all medications available and she would go through a honeymoon period with each and then it would be ineffective. Even the phenobarbitol didn't help. She had three days in a row with 2 or 3 seizures and then maybe 10-12 her last night, most of which was spent at the ER. We lost her that night too.

    Hugs to you, but as we always say, Jake had so much love in his life from you. Remember the good times.

    Hugs, K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that Jake's final memories of his life were very good memories of his life with you. But the heartbreak for you is very real also. My deepest sympathy of your loss of Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for being there and taking such good care of him:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your site and love what you do. I am so sorry about Jake, tears falling as I type this. As I said I love what you do and am so very impressed by you both, Jake's last times were made beautiful and peaceful from your love & care, good job.

    Take care & stay safe,
    Lucy (Troy, Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to read that Jake has passed. You do so much good for these animals, and I know without a doubt that Jake knew he was loved. Love from my fur-crew here in NoVA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful tribute to a very special dog. Tears here too - it's a situation many dog owners share with you.
    You gave Jake such happy months at the end of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    I am so sorry Jake passed away. I am glad Jack' s remaining time was with you. Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an angel. As hard as it is, I am glad you and your husband were able to be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, you truly are an angel. I could hardly read your post for crying. My heart hurts for you and for your husband, he sounds like an angel too...sitting beside Jake as you made that long drive late at night. I'm telling you, I love you both! That big old Jake with the beautiful smile. I believe that smile came from knowing how much he was loved for that last year (almost a year) of his life with you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ditto every word Andrea said above. I've had a stroke myself and just home from the hospital. this post about Jake has helped me. you are an angel too you know. and you are LOVED! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for your loss. After reading both posts, it's clear what a wonderful life you gave Jake and how much you loved him. My heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have words. I know you understand how I've just run out of the words to express my feelings. I always clip a lock of their hair and put it in a tiny plastic bag to keep it forever so I know the feeling of the soft warm fur and I can go back and touch and smell it when I need to. Thank you for being there for Jake. You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were there with him. You loved him, held him. Great as the loss, you gave him wonderful gifts. We am so sorry he is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read every word and my heart ached with each word for Jake and for you. I have stood witness to 5 dogs death in the past 33 years, each one took a part of my heart. I did read the article you mentioned and have done that, as did you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We only had our Big Boy, for 2 years, adopted from shelter at 5, we adopt only seniors because we are seniors. those 2 years were the best dog year for me, he was my heart. God bless you for all the animals you have fostered and loved through their last year

    ReplyDelete
  21. Makes my heart ache :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. My God, this brings back horrible memories of rushing my darling 15-yr-old pointer Emma to the emergency vet in the early morning hours, also about 40 minutes away, while she was seizing in the back seat. I was alone, and I could hear her strenuous breathing slowing and finally stopping. I pulled over to the side of the road, drew her into my arms and wailed. Of course, when the seizure was ongoing for so long, I knew there was no hope, but you try anyway. There's nothing harder :( So sorry you experienced that... Godspeed, dear Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Jake ~ you are missed and loved ~ so hard to lose our fur babies ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!