Saturday, October 28, 2017

Excused Absence!

I know that I always say that it's a whirlwind at our house, but for more than a week, or the past month for that matter, it really has been.
~The road to our house~
When we turned the corner for last week, it brought Simba to the front. You'll recall that while "couple number 2" or  D&A liked Simba, we really needed a more formal visit for them to get to know him a bit better.  We also needed time to talk more about his specific needs, and most importantly of all, he needed to meet their nine free range chickens.

After talking to several people, I was really worried that D&A may lose a chicken or two with Simba around.  So, on Sunday morning we put Simba to the test. What I thought was going to be a free-for-all for Simba to run after and terrorize the chickens, wasn't that at all. D&A were so prepared and ready with a temporary fence, and a good solid plan to keep their hens safe. In the end, none of them were harmed, and everyone was happy and I was enormously relieved!
~Simba looking a little worried about the chicken-test~
After nearly 2 hours of visiting with them, we decided we would all think about Simba coming to live with them. But I had nothing to think about.  During our visit I felt that they were all a good match for each other. He responded so well to D&A, and there was no doubt they were crazy about him. To not put any pressure on them, I sent an e-mail and only thanked them for letting us come to visit.  In return, later that evening, I received an e-mail outlining all their pros and cons in Simba coming to live with them, (there were more pros than cons) that included their saying they respected whatever I decided to do.

I will admit, that I thought a lot about keeping Simba. How could I not?  But my friend who told me about him, reminded me that living with us, Simba could not be "a star" because we already have one or two.  Living with D&A means that he will be. She was right, and he deserves that chance to be a star.

So, yesterday, Simba left us for his new forever home. Simba and Rhett (Chief?) got along really well and they enjoyed playing with one another.  Simba was great fun to have around, and there was no doubt that his energy brought in some needed fresh air to our quiet and kinda stale household. He is missed!!

My first reports from D&A let me know there was a glitch that first night.

Below is their e-mail;
The first night was too lonely for him. He missed you, your house, your pups, etc.  

But, night 2 went much better as we went to Plan B. (In fact we talked about having him in our room the first night, but decided that keeping his crate routine might be beneficial the first night.)  Rather than crating him, we gated him into our bedroom and he slept, all night, on the dog bed. In fact, we had to wake him up!  We’re really, really happy to have this bedroom routine in place, though, and now that he knows his bed, our room, etc., we’re confident he’ll settle in nicely as the old people go to bed.

Yes. Boring he is not.  Right now, he is rolling his peanut butter kong around, part in play, part in finding new ways to wedge residual tasty out of it. Drool is involved.  Cats are coping well. Chickens will take more time, though, we visit the chicken yard regularly. I showed him an egg yesterday to help him understand why we want to keep the girls hale and hardy. Sadly, he was unimpressed.

I sure feel the uplift of having him in our lives.  Truly.  All the walks have been as much for our benefit as his! And, he is such a happy lad to begin with, its infectious.
It's not an over-the-top and glowing update singing his praises. But then, they are not an over the top couple either.  They are quiet, thoughtful, devoted and kind.  I think they're all settling in and will be just fine - Don't you think?

Finally, here at home, we're all exhausted.
But in having Simba around, the needs of the rest of our crew have been a little overlooked.  It's time to catch up and focus on them.  Bailey and Rhett were off to the vet on Thursday.
~Rhett on our way to the vet~
  In my next post, I'll update you on them.  Enjoy your Saturday!
~Bailey at the vet~

25 comments:

  1. Hello, I know you must be sad to See Simba leave. I hope he is really happy in his new forever home. I can understand he deserves to be a star. I hope all your pups had a great vet visit. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like Simba has landed in a great home. I hope Bailey and Rhett had good reports from the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they all make the adjustment. My water dogs love to chase ducks and geese but Sebastian doesn't even glance at them. Let's hope that Simba decides that chickens are boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even with your crowd, having one gone does leave a hole. Sounds like Simba will settle in well and no worries about the chickens! I hope the vet visits went well. Bailey sure does have a happy face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harm a feather on a chicken and you'll have ME on your tail, Simba. Simba will stand for Suddenly In My Bad Attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the changes you all must have to adapt too . . .
    If Simba has settled in to sleep in their bedroom ,
    I’d say that is good news.

    I don’t know how you handle the goodbyes . . .
    Must be all the “hellos” that keep the focus on carrying on . . .

    We are adjusting to a huge change in the lives of our dear friends..
    Their dear “Libby Girl” crossed over the rainbow bridge a week ago.
    We are broken hearted, they are devastated.
    She was only six years old . . .
    Our neighborhood is filled with pets . . .
    We enjoy them as much as their human parents!
    Our Snickers keeps looking for LG on our walks.
    I keep explaining . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. D&A, their lives are already so much richer for having Simba added to their family. I am sure he will be so loved and cared for, and as they say, he brings happiness. Your home will be a lot quieter, this will take time to adjust to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Quiet, thoughtful, devoted and kind'.

    Simba will be happy.. extremely happy.. and a star.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes time to settle into a new routine and surroundings, but it seems as though Simba has adjusted very quickly. He will bring such happiness to his new family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope Simba shines and he enriches their lives and visa versa. He is a cutie and I'm sure you have all missed him. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous outcome! Sounds like the perfect fit. Can't believe how happy Bailey looks at the dreaded Vets....must be a Golden thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think he'll fir in nicely, hopefully he'll behave around the chickens.
    Simba is a lucky boy, I'm sure he feels that.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say that was an honest, well written update about a very wonderful boy. He sounds like a hoot and has an awesome new home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We bet it is hard to let one of your pups go to another home, but we think you made the right call. D & A sound like they are trying to paint an honest picture of life so far with Simba. With time he will settle in quite well - he is still young. We hope Rhett and Bailey had good visits.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  15. We think the right decision was made too Kim. Simba has a place in their heart now,,,, and they will be totally in love with him soon,,, if not already. I was expecting to hear he slept in their bed.
    You did good Kim,,, you made magic happens in the two peoples hearts, and in Simba's. Now more time for the others at Golden Pines
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like Simba has a good home. Impressed that they are taking the steps to help him be successful with the chickens
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing is perfect, but it sounds like this couple will make it happen. From the letter, it sounds like everything wiil be done to make Simba part of their family. Hopefor the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like everything will go very well for Simba. That is great!
    Hope you all have a blessed Sunday, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad Simba has a forever home with a loving couple. They sound perfect. I just don't know how you have the resolve to let some of these doggies go to other homes, I know I couldn't do it, just because I get too attached - but you think of the overall better good for these doggies and good on you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad Simba found a wonderful home. Maybe not being over the top is an ok thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this was a wonderful post. beautifully shared.
    it is all to the good. for everyone... furry and human.
    I love happy endings. or should I say beginnings?
    XO♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. So, so happy that Simba is settling in and being the star of the house, something every dog deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Once adjusted, Simba will love being the star of his home. Hurray for Simba! though I'll miss seeing his sweet face. But love seeing darling Rhett and Bailey. The picture of Rhett and Simba together is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did the very best thing for Simba. I love how you put your own needs aside and think about what is best for each dog.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!