Saturday, August 27, 2022

Shelby's Final Chapter

Below is the account of Shelby's last weekend with us. Before those details fade, I just wanted to have a record of her last days. I understand if you don't want to read it, but for me, it's important to have that part of her story told. 

And as always, thank-you for letting me share Shelby with all of you, and for sharing her loss with us. Shelby is greatly missed. But at what I'm guessing is more than 14 years old, she had a long life. And because of her gentle and easy going nature, and despite the circumstances that led to her and Jack being taken to a shelter, I have to think and hope that she knew she was wanted and was loved, especially by us. 

Shelby's last chapter began the morning I left for my weekend away to Smith Mountain Lake. I noticed swelling on Shelby's back left-hock. Knowing what I do about this kind of thing, I worried that it was bone cancer. Even though our regular vet was out of town, I was able to get an appointment to have it looked at by another vet when I returned. Shelby was in good spirits, up and around almost as much as she always was, and had a good appetite, so I tried not to worry ....  too much. 

By Friday, the day of her appointment, I was holding onto that little bit of hope that maybe I was wrong. 

~At the vet, posing for an x-ray on her leg~

Sadly, I was not. It was bone cancer. 

~The x-ray and the diagnosis~

Shelby was really tired from the appointment, but she ate her dinner and slept soundly in the hallway overnight not moving from her spot. Saturday morning we helped her to get up and outside, and fed her breakfast. Afterwards, she came into the office and laid down on the floor. It would be the last time that Shelby would get up at all.

By Sunday afternoon, we'd tried several times to get Shelby onto her feet, but she kept collapsing and wouldn't stand and we were unable to get her to relieve herself. I increased her pain medication in hopes it would help. It didn't. I was again feeling that ache in my heart left by Jake, but I tried to remain hopeful. 

On my way to work on Monday, the calls to a vet began. My vet was still out of town, but I held onto hope that maybe "Fill-in-vet" could see her, but she couldn't. I called 5 different offices before calling an emergency vet who had room to see her. 

~A tile at the vets office, taken as we waited to be seen~

When we were given Shelby's diagnosis of bone cancer, I'd said several times, and I still believe that Shelby was keeping that secret, as well as one about the amount of pain she was in - And when we officially found out that last Friday that she had bone cancer, and we knew her secret, she put it all out there, and it all fell apart. Those precious days of grace that I so hoped for, that I always hope for, were not to be. So, we said good-bye to Shelby on August 15th.

It's only been 12 days since Shelby left us. I am still missing her. She had a cute little 'old lady' personality. She become silly and playful, when we'd trim her nails, or just when I'd scratch her back or give her tired muscles a massage. True to her golden retriever breed, she loved her meals. I'd say to her, 'it's time to eat,' and it always made me smile watching her eager and happy little gallop down the hallway towards the kitchen. 

She always knew she had to go outside afterwards, and before going out, she always looked at me with a total understanding because I'd always say to her, "I'll help you up the ramp to come back inside when you're ready." And she'd always be there, waiting for me by the ramp to help her walk up it and get inside. I still look for her at those times. Shelby truly was a gift. And I am beyond grateful for the time we got to know Shelby and love her for the last chapters of her life. ❤

16 comments:

  1. Shelby's last chapter in her book of live was filled with so much love and care, and she knew with all her heart that this was so. The gap she leaves, like the ones we all feel, will be huge, and her smile and love will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your loving words have done Shelby proud, Kim. What a beautiful girl she was - she will be so missed by us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    A lovely tribute to Shelby, she was a sweetie! I am happy her last days were with you and the other pups at Golden Pines.
    She will be missed. Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww Kim... I'm so so glad you told Shelby's story. It deserved to be told. Rest peacefully, darling Shelby, until we all join you one day...on that other side. My prayers remain with you, my friend, as your heart tries to mend. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's never easy to get that kind of diagnosis but you did the best you could with it for Shelby. She sure was a special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are grateful that Shelby did not suffer (we believe she would have told you if it was too much) and was surrounded by all the love and caring she was in her golden years. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beauty, heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful story, beautiful Shelby.

    HHugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a blessing to such sweet dogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelby was so lovely, I'm so sorry she is gone. But so glad she came to live with you and was so much loved. What a wonderful gift you give to these old dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have little words, now a days, but thank you so much for sharing Shelby's story. Thank you for loving her. I know she felt it. I felt it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Run free, friend Shelby. You were very lucky to find the home you did for the last little while of your life. You will be missed. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, bless you, Kim. I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kim, I had to read about Shelby's last days even knowing that I would cry. What a sweet, loving, big dog she was. She certainly deserved to spend her last days in the best place she could have been, right there with you. She must have loved you so much. Thank you Kim. You are an angel.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!