Sunday, October 2, 2022

Breathing a Little Easier

I have needed a break from everything. I think that the loss of George was the tipping point. I found myself enveloped in a sadness that is overwhelming. Even now, in these quiet moments, it's hard to not let it consume me. I just keep going. I have and had to. A few days after our good-bye to George, Carl left to visit family, leaving me alone with the dogs, who remind me every day that they are still here, and they still need me. Life somehow goes on. 

To keep me focused and dialed into reality, I've worked on a couple of my days off because my counterpart at work and another co-worker are not feeling well. They are both back to work, Carl has returned and I'm feeling optimistic that my life will return to its regular programming this week.

~Daisy makes every day better~

One thing that has kept me focused off myself is Todd. He's had problems breathing through his nose and has been having bouts of 'reverse sneezing.' It began at his last vet visit, when he was put into a crate in my van that had been stored in the barn. Carl had rinsed it off, but I did notice that there was still some 'barn debris' left on it. The sneezing started that day. 

~The day the sneezing started, with Jake & Daisy~

Concerned of course, I read that the sneezing typically resolves itself, so I didn't get too worried. Especially when it wasn't happening every day. But that sneeze turned into a cough and started to affect his breathing, and so we were back at the vet last week.

One of Todd's sinuses is blocked, so the vet prescribed antibiotics and he is breathing easier. But my vet and I agree that there is a slight infection that is probably caused by something lodged in his sinus. So, I've made an appointment for him with a veterinarian specializing in Internal Medicine to have his sinus 'scoped.' Given how and when it started, I'm hoping that if it is something that he inhaled into that big Scottie nose of his, that it will maybe dislodge before his appointment next month. Paws crossed. 

13 comments:

  1. So easy to get a small piece of grass or straw lodged in there. It happened to one of our cats, who sniffed it up her nose, and it got stuck in her throat. Todd, let it be something simple and easily fixed. Losing George, and all the ones before, grief has many faces, and it lingers for a long, long time. I hope the days improve, with you both. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim, you have been through so much in such a short period of time. I hope you got some much needed rest. Sometimes it sucks that life keeps going on and other times it is the best thing for us. Thinking of you and Todd. ♥ Hang in there girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be gentle with yourself, Kim, you have had a lot to deal with recently and that doesn't count the weather.
    Love the smiles on the Goldens and wish Todd a big outward sneeze to clear that sinus.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have our paws crossed that you and Todd feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* Blessings for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww poor Todd, hope he gets rid of whatever it is himself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cheerful photo of the pansies and pumpkin.
    So sorry to hear that you've been feeling under the weather Kim. You have had so much to cope with and losing a precious pet is so distressing.
    Hope Todd is soon back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still think about that dog named Hamlet you took care of many years ago. I missed him for a long time. But there is always someone else to love, someone else that needs you. Sadly, but good for the dogs, you will never run out of dogs that need your love and care. You are a wonderful woman, Kim. I admire you so very much. And I hope that Todd will be ok soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear one, take time to heal. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    Poor Todd, I hope he is doing better now. The meds and scope have helped. The doggie photos are all so cute. Sending good wishes for you all. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grief is such an uncontrollable thing, and just doesn't obey the 'rules'. I pray time, and the good company of your companions help. Having had 3 (Yes, 3!) sinus surgeries, I can testify that they do improve things. But hopefully Todd will get rid of whatever's stuck before that's needed. Gentle hugs, and cuddles are the best medicine. XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you get just the right camera angle on Todd's nostrils you may be able to see the offending bit.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!