Saturday, March 11, 2023

Lily Arrives at Golden Pines

If there’s anything else you should know about me, it’s that I’m actually awful at managing my free time. I think it's because I chase the clock from the moment I get up in the morning and all day at work. So when I get home, it's gotten to the point where all bets are off as far as me really rushing to get anything done. I think it's happening partly because I am easily distracted, usually by the dogs and I am simply losing track of time. Which is easy to do sometimes.

~Ree and I enjoyed a warm sunny day a couple weeks ago~

And as disappointed as I am in myself, because I'm not keeping up on some things, like my blog, I am determined to just keep going. 

With that, I'll skip over some of the smaller things that have been happening including the 2 vet visits that I had this week with Iva, who had an abscess, that also blew up into a really ugly hotspot. Thankfully she's finally feeling better, and that's what matters most. 

~Iva, worn out from her vet visits this week~

Lets get to the bigger news, and that's that a week ago today, we welcomed a new arrival named Lily to Golden Pines. Lily comes to us via the Golden Retriever Rescue. 

~On our way home~

Her previous owner is a single mom, balancing kids, and a busy schedule. Part of her e-mail to the rescue is below.

Hello, I am inquiring about giving up my golden retriever. This is really hard to even inquire about as I don’t want to give her up, but she is being neglected from love and care that I know she deserves. She is 11 years old. She can barely go up the 3 steps to outside.....  She was my world for about 5 years, then I had kids. Now I’m divorced and a single mother. I don’t have money to take her to the vet, for medications, even to have her groomed. I am too busy to brush her, to love her, to care for her. I am too busy. I barely have enough time to see my kids as I work full time. When I am home, I don’t want to see the dog I want to see my kids. I feel so badly for her. She has arthritis so she needs medication probably, that I can’t afford. She is disheveled, overweight, and never taken on walks. I am so guilty about all of this. She does deserve better.

Needless to say, when I read the e-mail, my heart went out to the Mom, and Lily too and so of course I said I'd take her. How could I not? 

Lily is a lovely senior girl, and she is getting along really well with her new packmates. She is however, a pretty nervous girl, and more than once during the night this past week, she starts howling. We aren't quite sure why she's doing this - She has the company of another dog or two - So we are thinking it may have to do with her not being able to be with us, despite that she can come into our room if she'd like. However, since it's only been a week, we really think and hope that maybe with a little bit of time she will relax and feel right at home.

Welcome Lily! 

16 comments:

  1. Welcome Lily! You landed in a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for doing that. What a relief it must be for that poor mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Lily, she's landed on her feet, and her future looks bright. Kim, what would these poor dogs do without you to care for them. She's so much like my Indy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought but maybe she’s missing the children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Lily. What a terribly sad situation and heartbreak for her former owner. She is lucky to have ended up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily's going to have great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lily is in the best place she could be. I know you know that, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like Lily's owner's life has taken turns she did not expect and she is really doing the best she can for Lily and her family. I am sending the family compassion and hope and luck and wishing Lily the best. She is in the best place for her now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lily's Mum did the best she could, and what a juggle it must have been. The letter says so much, and I guess there is more that wasn't written. Lily, you will settle in time, and I,too, think you might be missing the children. Maybe you barked to tell the tired Mum that a child was awake, and the habit has remained. Kim, you give of yourself so endlessly and generously,Lily will have so much love and care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lily looks like such a sweetie. We know she will settle in and thrive in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh hello, beautiful Lily! What a lovely smile you have. Best healing wishes to dear Iva. Kim, please don't be too disappointed in yourself. I suspect you have impossibly high standards that present the temptation to feel discouraged when reality steps in. Bravo for your immense courage, heart and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe she just feels disoriented or maybe she's complaining to the world at large about losing her home. I've had a couple dogs that were experiencing a little doggie senility that would wander and get lost at night and bark for me to come find them and bring them back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Kim
    I feel sorry for Lily's mom and her children, they must all miss Lily. Lily is in a good home now, I hope she settles down. Kudos for rescuing the senior dogs! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lily will now have a chance to live the good life. One day at a time. As for you....march to your own drummer! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know you know all the tricks but how about an old tshirt of yours with her at night. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do what you want to do, you are a busy lady! I can understand why you took in Lily...hard to resist. Most people don't look at dogs as a lifetime (The dogs) commitment. They are not thinking 10 to 15 years ahead they just see a cute puppy not an aging elder pet that needs just as much love and attention as a puppy.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!