Saturday, September 2, 2023

Me, Iva and the Cosmos

Weekends have been busy for us. A recent Saturday was spent taking Iva to meet a perspective family that had applied specifically to adopt her. The rescue that I foster for requires home visits, and their home visit didn't exactly paint a glowing picture of them for several reasons. With that, and their living more than a 2 hours drive from us, it left me reluctant to even consider them. But I decided to give them a chance. 

With my brother in tow, we met halfway in the town of Culpeper Virginia. 


Family of Four, was a retired Dad who is home most of the time, Mom was still working, and they have a 10 year old and college age daughters - And a Golden Retriever named Pockets that like Iva, was about 8 years old. We had several things in common and being a big believer in cosmic forces, I thought maybe the cosmos was bringing us together. I found myself liking them for those reasons and as we chatted, in my mind I was putting together just how this could maybe work. 

The visit wasn't exactly perfect. Working Mom was a little critical of a few things about Iva - which made me a little critical of them - And when Working Mom kept examining Iva's coat, specifically around her tail and neck - I knew what she was looking for, and I blurted out that "Iva doesn't have fleas." Working Mom seemed a bit embarrassed, and stopped what she was doing. 
~Iva~

Despite that and a few other things, as you can probably tell, I wasn't sure about them. But I was really trying to hang onto what the cosmos must have been trying to tell me; that they were the family for Iva -- It helped that Iva seemed to like School Age Girl, and I thought that she seemed okay with Retired Dad and their dog Pockets. Family of Four pushed me on making my decision right then, but I promised them I'd get back to them in a few days - School Age Girl told me that after our visit they were going to go buy toys for Iva. 
~The Wind in Iva's Face, on our way home ~

On our way home, I tormented my brother with all my thoughts and I just hoped that I'd have some clarity on the whole thing. And sure enough, it came from Retired Dad in a text message BEFORE we even got home. It said:

Hello Kim,  Iva is a real sweetheart.  We enjoyed meeting her.

But we think she may not fit into our family.  We are concerned about her age and longevity.  We couldn't handle losing a family member like her for a long time. 

Thank you for introducing her to us, I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Chris

What??!! Well, okay, whatever, and thank-you cosmos for giving me the answer I needed. But can I add what a ridiculous reason this was? Only because Iva's age is of course mentioned in her write up, so it was and is no secret that she's 8 years old. And anyone who makes an issue about not wanting to adopt a dog because of their age, never scores any 'points' with me. 

But it doesn't end there. I missed a call from Working Mom whose voicemail said that they'd changed their minds, and were again interested in adopting Iva. If age was an issue, Iva was then 3 days older, so what changed? I'll never know, because I didn't call them back. And I'm not going to. A friend said that things in the cosmos can sometimes backfire. I think that's what it did this time. But I'm still a believer in those cosmic forces. And what could be a better reminder of that than this weeks last super blue moon until 2037. 

~The Super Blue Moon over our house~

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Cute photos of Iva. I am sorry Iva's adoption did not work out. Maybe it is for the best. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the time I started reading this I was thinking no no don’t give over to those people and I am so glad that you made a decision and I believe that you made the right one. The thing about the age I would never ever ever let anybody have a dog that mentioned the word age. Like it was some big kind of surprise. Praying that the perfect home for either will come along

    ReplyDelete
  3. the Above anonymous comment is from Sandra Madsnapper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you say that Pocket was about the same age as Iva? Sounds like bad vibes all around. Glad it didn't work out with them. There's a better family for Iva. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iva is certainly a sweetie. Sorry this adoption didn't work out but I think that a wishy-washy family isn't right as your little voice told you. Hope a 'right' family and Iva will find each other.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My motto is ‘if in doubt, don’t do it’. I faced much the same situation with one of our Portie pups, Sky. We had a buyer who really wanted him and said all the right things till the day before were going to deliver him. Then something in a phone conversation just sounded wrong and a few specific questions showed that though he wanted the pup, his wife didn’t. No sale. Sky stayed here where he was loved unconditionally.
    Sue from the Portuguese Water Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. It worked out as it should have. And spares you having doubts about them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The end was as it was meant to be, and for Iva, staying where she is for now the very best outcome. Age? We all grow old and have to accept that our loved pets will go before us, in most cases. Your thoughts were so right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to say the photo with Iva in heaven enjoying the breeze make me tear up. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. The woman's attitude was worrisome, so I'm glad the guy wrote to say they changed their mind. I hope you find a good home for Ivy soon, but you made the right decision. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did the right thing Kim. You're gut instinct was the best outcome for Iva - she's such a sweetheart, and I'm sure you'll find the perfect forever home for her.
    She looks so happy in to be coming home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been doing this long enough that I believe you have a good sense of what family will work for a particular dog and what won't. We hope someday Iva finds the perfect home but in the meantime she is perfectly happy hanging out at Golden Pines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was not the right home for beautiful Iva; you need have no doubts. There is a very fortunate person/family who will connect when the time is best. She is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too bad it didn't work out, but who knows if they wouldn't change their minds again after they took her. You know your pups and you can read your clients very well, so go with the gut.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ve had potential adopters not follow thru bc cat age or distance to my house. All that information they knew BEFORE we even interviewed. I’m truly ok w ppl changing their minds (after all it’s a 15 year commitment) but be honest. The right fit for Iva is out there; you’ll know like you always do. Keep up your good work. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those people clearly weren't the ones who would appreciate Iva. Go with your gut - it doesn't usually lie! Lee and Phod who send Iva all the best at finding a home as perfect as ours!

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!