Sunday, December 10, 2023

Full Speed Ahead!

Here we are in December.... Already. Another busy week is in our history book. 

As I mentioned in my last post, there has been a lot of focus on Iva lately. She remains available for adoption via the rescue. But  there hasn't been a lot of interest in her. One reason is probably her age. Another is that her needs are specific. But after all these years, I know that sometimes the home that doesn't look perfect from the outside, is perfect on the inside. 

~Iva in late October~

Keeping that in mind, I'd gotten a call from a couple living in "King George" Virginia, just over 2 hours from me. I liked them, and even though some things in their home visit report made them not a fit for Iva, I was willing to meet them. And I thought that Iva's best chance would be to take her to them, to see if they were a fit after all.  Okay, so you may be wondering, why they were not a fit on paper... It was that they have steps - Iva's broken shoulder before she came into the rescue means that she has limited range of motion and she has difficulty going up stairs, and can't control her speed coming down them. Thinking ahead, her size also makes going up and down stairs difficult if she were to reinjure her shoulder again. 

~Road trip for me and Iva~
So we were off on Sunday for a road-trip. I've never been to King George Virginia, and many people here in northern Virginia, have never heard of it. It is a quiet rural town east of Fredericksburg (Virginia) and let me tell you, it's way the heck out there. 

~Way the heck out there in King George VA

We found our way with only a few wrong turns. "King George Couple" were nice and welcoming. They are two people with big hearts and really do want to make a difference for senior dogs. And they are totally devoted to the 2 very senior Labs that they have. But as their home visit report said, they had very slippery laminate floors that Iva kept slipping on and the inside stairs were steep and Iva slid down them both times we had her do them. And then their 2 Labs were both not the fun and active companions that Iva really needs. There were a few other things that I won't mention because it'll seem a bit trivial and maybe I was being too critical and unfair... 

But I knew leaving their home, they were not a match for Iva. However, I decided to think about it for a few days, thinking that maybe the cosmos would tell me something different when the dust settled on a 4 hour road trip. Well, it didn't. The memory of her sliding down their steps and my having to practically catch her before she ran into the wall stayed fresh in my mind. So, I let them know. And onward the search goes for Iva and for King George couple too. 

10 comments:

  1. Sorry you couldn't make the match for Iva but that sure sounds like a legitimate concern with the stairs. At least you had a nice adventure to a part of the state you've never been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that it didn't work out for Iva, but we all know that she's in her happy place right now! I'm sure there will be the perfect match somewhere soon, so wishing you good luck with the search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. praying now that the right person will appear and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lord gave you a discerning mind, Kim. I'm sure you made the right choice.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too bad it didn't work out...bless you for hanging in there, and best wishes for finding her a good forever home. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking a lot about IVA after the picture you took in your vehicle of you all coming home from vet, she just looked so content and in heaven. I have thought about taking her into my life.
    No stairs in the house here and 75 acres or so for us to explore together. A lot of hills , but also a lot of flat walks along a couple creeks. I don't have another dog now, but have raised and had GSDs since I was a child am 65 now.
    Do you have the link for the application and do you need to live in Virginia?
    I am in Indiana along the Ohio river.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon above is Gemma's person , Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    That is too bad. I hope the perfect home is found for Iva. She is sweet! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was worth the visit to be sure if this was a match or not. The slipping or falling issue is a major concern, of course. When the right home for sweet Iva is ready, things will fall into place. She is a beautiful girl. God bless you all, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someday they may be ready for a younger dog, at least you know their situation first hand. I know how scary steps are for an older dog. Our Chance needed help going up and down stairs safely. He was such a good boy waiting for the harness to be put on and help to arrive to go up and down just seven steps. A whole flight of stairs would have been almost impossible for him and us to. I was in a house once that had an elderly Chesapeake Retriever and they had put carpet runners every place the dog would go so there was no bad footing:)

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!