Sunday, March 28, 2021

A Quiet Time and a Forever Home

It's a quiet time at our house right now. That's working for me, because I've really not been feeling well. I've pretty much come home from work, fed the dogs, and gone to bed. Thankfully, I'm feeling a bit better. And even though I've been sleeping my spare time away, it hasn't stopped life from going forward.  The Eastern Phoebes have been back for more than a week, and they've wasted no time building a nest above the garage door. 


Meanwhile, Todd and Max had their spring haircuts last week.
~On our way home Todd is my co-pilot~
While they were getting their spa treatment, I spent a really nice day in Winchester, Virginia treating myself to lunch and window-shopping. 
~Window shopping~

And last Sunday, I took Shelby and Jack to meet a couple that were interested in adopting them. They are retired and like everyone, they're home almost all the time, and they have 3 acres that is beautifully landscaped and fenced in for the dogs. The meeting went really well, and I enjoyed our visit, and I know Jack and Shelby were very comfortable there. They were eager to adopt them both, but I gave them a few days to think about it anyway. 
~At the home of Wendy & Denis~

Fast forward to today, and Jack and Shelby are now at home with "Wendy and Denis." It was a rough start when Wendy fell over Jack when we got there this morning. But no worse for wear (thankfully) the signing of the adoption contracts and the rest of the visit was uneventful. 

~Photos I used to "advertise" Jack and Shelby for adoption~

However, I do have to confess that I stole something from Wendy and Denis ..... Jack was chewing on an old tennis ball, and when I mentioned about his tearing it up, neither Wendy or Denis seemed concerned about it. But because I have made a career out of worrying about things like intestinal-blockages and choking, and not wanting Jack to maybe get the ball after I'd gone, I took it from him and slipped it into my jacket pocket. It goes without saying that of course I never take things that don't belong to me, but in that moment, I really just felt like it was something I needed to do to make sure Jack was safe. There's a part of me that feels guilty for taking it, but another small part of me that doesn't. Maybe I'll send them a new can of tennis balls as restitution for my crime. A picture of the ball is below - Can you see why I was worried about Jack's having it?

~The stolen tennis ball~

Back at home, its been another relatively quiet day. For the first time in what I'm sure is at least 10 years, we do not have a foster dog or cat. I know there are not as many dogs coming into rescues right now. But I still have a small worry that Lab Rescue may not ask us to foster for them because of what happened with Buddy. So all I can do is wait to see what or who comes next. And whatever or whenever that comes, I know Todd will be ready. And so will I. 

21 comments:

  1. Congrats to Jack and Shelby, I hope you are very happy in their new home. I think it was a good idea to snatch that old tennis ball. I would worry about the dogs swallowing a torn off piece. Todd is looking handsome! Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep that tennis ball, we had a ginger cat. Tom, a stray, and one day he was so ill, could not walk, dragged his back legs, off to the vet, they couldn't find anything wrong, when we brought him home, I found a toy mouse that had been ripped open and the suede tail was chewed off. So your stolen article was meant to be. Lovely couple, I am sure Jack and Shelby will love their new home, and a family that is there all the time is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Jack and Shelby on finding their forever home together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little quiet time to regroup isn't a bad thing but like me, you'll soon miss the chaos of a big pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on taking that tennis ball. I hope the new owners will become educated about choking hazards. And I hope they never buy those mini-tennis balls that are sold that have hurt so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All dogs should have the orange balls, they are pretty safe. Glad you took the old tennis ball. Enjoy your quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make the best of your "down time" and take care of yourself, hope you are back to 100% soon.
    Congratulations to Jack and Shelby on their new home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have nothing but admiration for you. you did Nothing wrong!
    either about Buddy nor about that worn out ball that was a legitimate Choking Hazard!!! don't second guess yourself darling girl. just get to feeling Better. Soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that you found a home for Jack and Shelby. I think you were right to take that beat-up tennis ball. I (secretly) throw out any of Chester's toys that are getting too ratty, especially when I happen to find bits of fuzz in his poop. Fortunately, as he's gotten older, he's not quite as destructive to his squeaky toys anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all know that “quiet time” never lasts long for you, so I would enjoy it while it lasts. Good job taking that ball.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forever homes are a good thing. I am certain you will have new pals before long:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're glad to hear you are feeling better. Todd looks very smart with his spring cut. We have our paws crossed that Jack and Shelby will do well at their new home and no tennis balls will be consumed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many you enjoy some foster free time. I would have taken the ball too. I hope the pups enjoy their new home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You deserve a well earned break. Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are so happy for Jack and Shelby for finding a wonderful home. We think you did the right thing with that ball. Misty is a tennis ball destroyer and even attempts to eat those pieces. Needless to say, tennis balls are not a commodity in the toy box:)

    Hope you will be feeling better soon. Do take care of yourself.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tennis balls have been relegated to the topshelf here,too, as Benji not only destroys them in no time, he tries to eat them...what a rascal!
    Glad you put that old one in your pocket.That way your conscience will be guilt free about it.

    Hooray for a forever home for Jack and Shelby.

    I read through the past several posts; my heart breaks for you on account of all the turmoil and sadness you are going through. And we hope you feel better really soon.

    Thanks for visiting our blog:)
    Pleased to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pleased to hear that Jack and Shelby have found a forever home together.
    You did the right thing with the tennis ball, they are so dangerous if the outer cover is ripped to pieces. It does seem a popular pastime - at least two of my Labs were champion destroyers!
    I'm sure it won't be long before Lab rescue are in touch with you again. You have given so many sad and lost dogs such a happy time with you.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Time for that tennis ball to be “retired!”
    Treating the couple with a new tin of tennis balls might be nice!

    Enjoying the quieter time for now, I am sure there will be a
    new rescue at your front door before long.
    Until then, Todd will enjoy all the attention!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good job on finding a forever home for Jack and Shelby. The family must be thrilled to have them. You did the right thing when you took that ball.

    Enjoy some time for just yourself and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi friends! Ojo here! Hurray for adoption day! Jack and Shelby we wish you the most wonderful life with your new people! And we won't tell anyone about the tennis ball, safety is important!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Todd is the one constant there.

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!