Tuesday, March 22, 2022

At Home for Now

This post has nothing to do with our dogs. It's about me. So, please forgive me from veering away from the usual topic.  But I've decided to share a little bit about a personal "journey" I've been on the last year. 

It was about this time last year I started having signs of something being wrong that at first, I just ignored. When the symptoms didn't go away, I knew I had to see a doctor. I also knew I could not do as my Mother had done when she had those same things happening to her, when her Mother had them, when my Aunt had them and my cousins too. 

So, fast forward thru waiting for appointments, tests and consoles. None of the test results were 100% conclusive, because they only showed precancerous changes - But with my family history, and my symptoms, I felt strongly in my mind and heart that I couldn't follow the path that other family members had, including my own Mother and wait and see if things worsened or just do nothing, and then, it may be too late to do anything curative.

So, I did something; last Friday I had a "preventative" surgery to remove any chances of cancer occurring. It was a difficult and very personal decision - So personal, that it's not easy for me to talk about, but I feel like I should. But I struggled and prayed about the decision to have surgery for months. I tried to have faith in what I knew to be the right thing to do. But in those quiet moments, the doubts would always find a way to creep in. 

~My lonely hospital room~

Even after the surgery, I still had doubts that *maybe* I'd made the wrong choice. But on Sunday morning, I noticed that blooming in my weedy flower bed, is a single daffodil. I know it's not unusual to see daffodils blooming in March. But it's unusual because I've never planted any daffodils, or had any in my yard in the more than 12 years we've lived here.

Daffodils blooming are said to signify new life and resilience because they are survivors who have weathered the winter storms -- And this one being a bit worse for wear, I feel like is a reminder, just for me, that everything is okay. And that maybe I'm like this single daffodil, a "weathered, resilient, survivor" and I'm going to be okay and continue to bloom too.  

So, I'm home and off work until at least until mid-April. I'm feeling pretty well, and I am up around. Friends have provided meals, and so we are very well fed, and I am so very grateful and thankful for their kind thoughtfulness. Let the healing begin. 

~Gerbera Daises from a friend~

19 comments:

  1. I send prayers & love to obviously a very intelligent and strong woman!!! I can only imagine what you have gone through mentally and now physically. I know I am not the only one with you!
    Prayers and care,
    Lucy (Troy, Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Lucy's thoughts, good vibes, good, healthy days ahead. Let peace be yours in your decision . Beth, Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your blog, Kim. It should be about what you want to share. *hugs* May God heal you. Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the healing continue and you return to full good health, Kim. Your many friends, those in blogland, and the gorgeous canine companions you care for so well, will be there to support you and help you through the days of recovery.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kim,
    Sending healing prayers and wishes for your speedy recovery. Take care, bloom on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your story with us. You are free to tell us whatever you want on your blog. Those decisions are never easy but you have to do what you feel is best for you. All paws are crossed for a complete and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Todd, help your mom get through this. Make her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending healing thoughts and wishes your way Kim, so sorry to learn you have gone through this sickness and had to make this decision. Just as the flowers bloom, so will you.
    Hugs sweet friend,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharing is all part of any blog, and this way, we can understand, walk alongside you and send so much love, and many mighty caring thoughts as you spend time at home, The pack will be there too, and with spring arriving, a lovely time to go slowly and see that single dafodil, a sure sign that all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're thing about you. I have always felt that you are one of the strongest people I know. Consider us your backup team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very brave...bravo!!! You have a lot of life to live!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You have been through so much and I am just in awe of you! Dealing with your health, your decision, the surgery and the dogs too for this last year...You are awesome!!

    Thank you so much for sharing! We love you Kim♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you were/are proactive in your health journey.

    I have been in/on that cancer road too, and if you think you are at risk, I would have done exactly as you did.
    Thankfully though I was just shy of being a stage 4 when I found out, (in 2006), I have been disease free since 2007.

    May God continue to heal your physical body and give you peace in your heart.

    Take care.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you made the right choice and God lead you to it, prayers with you and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My prayers are with you Kim. I lost my husband and loved ones to cancer. Stay strong We are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To prevent cancer, you can't do much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your choice was your own & therefore, it's the right one. I also have cancer in my maternal family line- cancer sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm catching up with blog reading and send belated get well wishes. It must of been a hard post to write. I am sure Todd will continue to look after you. xx

    ReplyDelete

Speak--I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for stopping by today!!